Another rescue blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knivesinedc

Another rescue blade?

Post by Knivesinedc »

Hey everybody. "So in my always prepared" state of mind, I was thinking about an alternative rescue knife from Spyderco. I would like to buy and possibly carry an assist but my only problem, is the blunt tip. Now the assist is great for EMT and emergency personnel etc, but what about the exceptionally prepared citizen who would like to have the functions of say, a seatbelt cutter and a glass breaker, but also want just a more normal shaped, maybe serrated leaf shape blade *hint hint*. Because in light of some recent events that happened to some of my friends, it would be nice to have a functional carry blade that could also perform well under stressful and possibly emergency situations. All opinions and questions are welcome! :)
twinboysdad

Re: Another rescue blade?

Post by twinboysdad »

Maybe the SE Endura? Pacific Salt? Delica?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you don't mind rendering the glass breaker inoperable, removing the "nub" from the Assist's tip, and sharpening that portion of the blade is a fairly easy task. OTOH, as with SD knives, there's a school of thought that advocates carrying both an "EDC" knife, for general cutting, and a dedicated emergency tool that you hope you will never need, but want razor sharp if you do. I keep an Assist within reach in my car, for emergencies.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I see used assists all the time with the nub sharpened away.

So you like the whistle, is that what draws you to the assist? Because the regular Rescue seems what you really want.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I thought someone here installed a carbide piece in a rescue or I've seen something similar somewhere. Of course a dedicated glass breaker is nice but the one on the assist is actually designed for breaking a front window that's laminated and then putting the blade in to cut a hole in it. A steel handled spyderco striking the corner of a side window should shatter it. Striking the center of a side window is the hardest way to break it. You could always buy one of those houdini escape tools with a spring loaded glass breaker and a serrated knife then have a lanyard to keep them together.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I love the idea of the Assist but would personally probably find another way to carry/store a carbide tip than dedicating my knife to that role.

Now if Spyderco released the Assist II again, as a non-LEO/fireman, I would grab one as it seems a pretty well-rounded EDC (besides being a tad large).
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have a Salt 1 SE and spring loaded glass breaker in the car.

Do you want to carry an Assist-type folder in addition to your EDC? A nice serrated leaf blade I discovered recently is the Native 5 LW SE. Been carrying it a lot as a secondary, but no glass breaker...

These are not Spydies, and if you are ok with bag carry, how about:
- ESEE 3S - partially serrated with glass breaker pommel, or
- Victorinox Rescue Tool ?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like carrying my dPX knives on the weekends. They come with a glass breaker tip. The new ones come with a carbide tip.

I also have a ZT pen that has a carbide tip on it. Since I don't know a wharny knife that has a glass breaker on it, you could probably make due with this pen and a knife of your choice.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the smaller EDC forms of glass breakers.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

How about the Native 5 LW SE and the lower half of a pool cue? Standard issue here in AL! If you keep the top half of the pool cue available you have a) glass breaker b) jaw jacker and c) revenue source for more Spydercos by hustling pool tables!
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Cheap self center punch, 93mm Rescue in a small fak pouch in the glove box
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”