Is HAP40 prone to chipping?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Re: Is HAP40 prone to chipping?

Post by tvenuto »

Scroop wrote:...and more perspective, maybe the reason for the hype is that (correct me if I'm wrong) with all new steels to show up in a Spyderco knife there has been a mule team offered before the release of a new variant for production. Where's my HAP40 mule???
I must correct you, good sir. At least one (probably more) mule has come out after that steel had already been used in a folder. There are numerous steels used that never got a mule at all. Some better spyderco historians than I can chime in on this.
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

Yes...please do, this is why I'm here.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

So looking on Spyderco.com, the MTs ran thusly:
M4
S90V
ZDP-189
9Cr18Mo
S35VN
Damascus
Super Blue
Cobalt Special
BD-1
M390
Cruwear
Elmax
B75P
XHP
K-390
S110V
PSF27
B70P

Some that are not on this list, but are used in folders: H1, LC 200n, S30V, 440C, and many past steels (Aus 10/8, ATS-55). There are others, such as 10V and 204P and 20CV, which are sufficiently similar to mules that they maybe shouldn't count.

I was curious.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I think this is all correct.

Steels in other Spyderco knives before Mules
MT03 CPM-S90V (appeared in the Military in 2008, Mule in 2009)
MT04 ZDP-189 (used in various models before the Mule)
MT14 CTS-204P (used in the Southard flipper and Paramilitary 2 sprint, the Mule was announced, but never released)
MT16 CTS-XHP (used in a Manix 2 sprint almost two years before the Mule, a Military sprint a year and a half before, as well as some others)
MT18 CPM-S110V (used in the 2013 Spyderco Forum Native about 6 months before the Mule)

And as tvenuto points out, there are several steels used in folders/fixed blades that haven't been released in Mule form.

Steels used in the Mule team knife first/exclusively
MT01 52100 (only used in the Mule team so far)
MT02 CPM-M4 (appeared in the Bradley Folder about a year later)
MT05 9Cr18Mo (later used in a Catbyrd Ti sprint)
MT06 CPM-S35VN (would be used as the base steel for the Native 5 the following year)
MT07 DPS-15 Damascus (DPS-15 would be used in various subsequent knives)
MT08 Super Blue (would show up in various sprint runs later)
MT09 Cobalt Special (only used in the Mule team so far)
MT11 M390 (appeared in subsequent sprint runs, beginning with the Bento Box Shop Paramilitary 2)
MT12 Cruwear (appeared in a Military sprint two years later and then the Manix 2)
MT15 CTS-B75P (only used in the Mule team so far)
MT17 K390 (only used in the Mule team so far)
MT19 PSF27 (used about 8 months later on the Bradley Bowie)
MT20 CTS-B70P (only used in the Mule team so far)

Not sure
MT10 CTS-BD1 (both the Mule and the UK Penknife came out in 2010 with this steel, but I'm not sure which one came first)
MT13 Elmax (both the Mule and the LionSpy came out in Feb 2012, so we'll call this a tie)
Last edited by jabba359 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

LOL I know, the list on the website is incomplete after Elmax, however they provide the month and year of release. If i wasn't neck deep in work I would chart these out and compare with a corresponding release date for the folders. I'm adhd about details and like history of hobbies I'm interested in.
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

That's awesome Jabba, outstanding memory???
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Scroop wrote:That's awesome Jabba, outstanding memory???
Spydiewiki, Spyderco.com, and a little bit of memory. :D
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
animportant

Post by animportant »

Since we've really take this thread all over the place, I'm going to say I would love to see a 10V mule! Upset I missed out on k390, which resells for $200+ now! Anther is Damascus. :*(

Would be so sweet if we could take a vote and rerun our favorite sprints!!

Another idea, I should change this threads name to random rants and we could see how long it goes on for haha.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I though I read somewhere that a 10v mule was in the queue. Not sure though.

Exact sprints cannot be 'rerun'. Not written in stone but that is how it has been. A handle color change or something minor should do though.

The rants aren't as random as you think. It has stayed close to the source material. Even the ice cream jokes.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My hand goes up to the random bit. I couldn't help but comment upon the threads you linked to!
animportant

Post by animportant »

Lol its all good. I think we have a great forum group. I would be souped for a 10v mule!
Tall Dark and Swarfy

Post by Tall Dark and Swarfy »

I have a HAP40 nakiri that I last sharpened November 2013. The edge I put on was both fairly acute @ 10 degrees per side and highly refined. I used Shapton Pros 1K->2K->5K and the steel felt no different than Aogami Super. I continued with a tight diamond progression to 0.1u.

Using the knife ~ 3 times a week for almost 2 years (mainly chopping vegetables against an end grain maple board) I have noticed some micro chipping develop. The knife was still shaving sharp until recently when I scored the skin on some pork bellies.

I am also the third owner of a HAP40 gyuto, still sporting the factory edge. An asymmetric edge at maybe 12/18 dps. No micro chipping whatsoever with the more obtuse angles.

Neither knife has shown any tendency to patina.

Cheers,

Rick
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for the great thread, everybody. I can't wait for these things to hit the stores.

It's instructive to pay attention to what Sal says when he's in a Zen-like mood like this. We can learn about life in general as well as knives.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Is there any word on when we may actually see these on the market? I'm already getting my custom scales made up for my Hap40 Delica! but if I get the scales before they hit the market, I'll likely just pick up a ZDP and forget about Hap40... I've already gotten over the Roc : ( and very unlikely to pick one up if they're ever available. (Maybe it'll go on an Xmas list or something)
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Patience young grasshopper. ;)
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

sal wrote:The proto has worked well with no problems cutting anything tried. Edge retention has been good as well. Sharpened it once. 30 degrees.

I don't think there is a lot of real world use on the steel and I'm looking forward to getting feedback from the group here.

sal
I want to acquire one, I want to test it out and see how the edge retains under different grits (Toothy, semi toothy, polished, toothy polished etc.). Hap-40 looks real interesting and considering the little amount of real world use people have on it it will be pretty exciting to see how it holds up.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

sal wrote:I guess I'm one of those that likes to experience things for myself and I would guess a lot of you are that way. It's a lot different going 120 on a scooter than it is reading about going 120 on a scooter.

sal
What scooter have you hit 120 on? I'll bet good money that even a 600cc maxi gets hairy at that speed with such small wheels!

The fastest I have seen on a small wheeled bike was about 75 going down a mountain, it was a bit daunting and that was a 13" wheeled scoot with upgraded suspension!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I had an 80 cubic inch FXR Lowrider Custom that I called my "scooter". I am ashamed to say (now that I am older and in less of a hurry to die) that I had it at triple digit speeds more than once. You are not riding at that speed, you are just holding on. I eventually totaled it. Lucky to still be here. :)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Surfingringo wrote:I had an 80 cubic inch FXR Lowrider Custom that I called my "scooter". I am ashamed to say (now that I am older and in less of a hurry to die) that I had it at triple digit speeds more than once. You are not riding at that speed, you are just holding on. I eventually totaled it. Lucky to still be here. :)
I have been on several bikes that begged to be ridden into the triple digits, however the reflexes and concentration required to do that and not kill yourself and/or other motorists is pretty demanding... I try to find roads that are fun/challenging at quasi-legal speeds these days ;)

If you have never ridden a small-wheel cycle, the experience is a bit different; smaller, lighter wheels don't create anywhere near as much stability as their larger diameter equivalents. The scariest motorized ride I have ever had wasn't one of my several crashes, it was just going in a straight line at 60mph on a Lambretta with skinny 10" wheels! ...well, I take that back, upon further consideration, attaining front wheel drift/understeer at 50mph on a decreasing radius corner was actually scarier than the Lambretta :O If I'd blown that one I would have made friends with a bunch of trees at the bottom of a deep gully.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Walt Fulton going 100 mph on a Mustang, said to be a "glorified scooter," in 1952:
(a little off topic, but it's the middle of the night :p )
http://www.shamrockfabrication.com/must ... dtrial.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloff ... acerID=179" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.