Spyderco's Hidden & Forgotten models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Re: Spyderco's Hidden & Forgotten models

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Here are a few that I consider "underrated/forgotten" and ready for a sprint run.

C17 Catcherman...as I said elsewhere, I think that a Catcherman v2 with a FFG, VG-10 blade; a Bi-Directional textured handle; and a 4-way clip would be a big hit.

C71 Salsa...I think that a sprint Salsa in G10 and VG-10 would be welcomed by those wanting smaller knives with compression locks.

C50 Centofante 2...this knife is an amazing slicer and looks great; I think a sprint in Super Blue would be amazing. If Spyderco wanted to do something truly exceptional, they could offer a C25 Centofante 1 in Super Blue in addition to the C50.

dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:The Jester looks like a cool model I was unaware of:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" Take the 2-week Jester Test. Carry a Jester on your keychain, or in your purse or pocket for 14 days then on day 15 leave it home. You'll feel its absence. It offers ergonomic convenience; you forget it's there until you need a knife.

We've notched the blade's spine above the hole with crosshatching as a seat for the thumb while cutting. Another textured section sits on top of the snub nose so your index finger has guiding control over the fine tip. The blade is AUS-6 available in SpyderEdge or PlainEdge. Comes with a black, forest green, lime green or pink FRN handle molded with Volcano-Grip. Clipless. Discontinued Product - No Longer Available."
Of any new sprint I can think of there's nothing I'd like to see more than a new sprint of a jester with ZDP-189 and CF, Nishijin Glass or G10 with a titanium bolster. Please Sal...PLEASE!
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Here are a few that I consider "underrated/forgotten" and ready for a sprint run.

C17 Catcherman...as I said elsewhere, I think that a Catcherman v2 with a FFG, VG-10 blade; a Bi-Directional textured handle; and a 4-way clip would be a big hit.

C71 Salsa...I think that a sprint Salsa in G10 and VG-10 would be welcomed by those wanting smaller knives with compression locks.

C50 Centofante 2...this knife is an amazing slicer and looks great; I think a sprint in Super Blue would be amazing. If Spyderco wanted to do something truly exceptional, they could offer a C25 Centofante 1 in Super Blue in addition to the C50.

I bet that catcherman would be awesome for Lance (surfingringo) but he probably already has a half dozen lol
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I would absolutely buy a catcherman with updated bi-directional texturing! Pretty soon, I'm going to run out of Delica 4s to buy...
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I really like this thread and appreciate you guys posting up some of these great discontinued spidies. I've become obsessed with tracking down some of them. It's amazing how hard some are to find and the prices they are fetching. It's a real challenge trying to track them down but have been successful occasionally. Keep them coming guys.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:I would absolutely buy a catcherman with updated bi-directional texturing! Pretty soon, I'm going to run out of Delica 4s to buy...
That Yellow, fully serrated Catcherman that "GoldenSpydie" put a picture up was truly a hidden gem. I've got the black handled, AUS-8 full SE Catcherman which is virtually the same knife performance wise and I still use my fully serrated Catcherman and have for the past 10 years or so. The serration pattern on those older Catcherman models to me is about the best SE pattern I've ever used.

The Catcherman is such a great USER knife and has multiple uses in food and outdoor cutting jobs. The Fully serrated model has so much going for it as far as being a very flexible, all purpose knife and I couldn't run my kitchen without it and the TEMPERANCE 1 which is also becoming a hidden gem of the past. I don't care what type of handle they use but I do hope that they do a Sprint Run of fully serrated Catcherman models.

Those other Centofante blades he had pictured are also hidden/forgotten gems as well as that Cranberry Salsa>> and I forgot to thank the DEACON for putting up pictures of the stainless RESCUE models. Those folders are solid ar rock. I had no idea that this thread would yield the great posts that it has so far>> thanks for the great posts guys :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

farnorthdan wrote:I really like this thread and appreciate you guys posting up some of these great discontinued spidies. I've become obsessed with tracking down some of them. It's amazing how hard some are to find and the prices they are fetching. It's a real challenge trying to track them down but have been successful occasionally. Keep them coming guys.
I know, but it's certainly fun to hunt, and it makes it all the sweeter when you do snag that sought-after model! I know we probably battle each other occasionally in the hunt to find those discontinued gems. Even some knives that don't have the correct titles on the bay still get the attention as though they did. There was a full SE catcherman a while ago that didn't have a full title, and it still got bid up too much for me to pursue. That alone is evidence of how in-demand some of these old models are, and how many people are on the prowl for them.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

tvenuto wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:I really like this thread and appreciate you guys posting up some of these great discontinued spidies. I've become obsessed with tracking down some of them. It's amazing how hard some are to find and the prices they are fetching. It's a real challenge trying to track them down but have been successful occasionally. Keep them coming guys.
I know, but it's certainly fun to hunt, and it makes it all the sweeter when you do snag that sought-after model! I know we probably battle each other occasionally in the hunt to find those discontinued gems. Even some knives that don't have the correct titles on the bay still get the attention as though they did. There was a full SE catcherman a while ago that didn't have a full title, and it still got bid up too much for me to pursue. That alone is evidence of how in-demand some of these old models are, and how many people are on the prowl for them.
I hear ya,

On a side note, got some bad news yesterday from Gary @ Moore Cutlery, The carbon fiber balance that I thought I had finally bagged will not be coming, apparently it was not in stock as stated, really bummed about this one, been looking for one for a while now...the search continues...I have a feeling I'm going to have to pay dearly for this one. Only other place I've found that has any is Country Knives but they want 2 bills for one and that seems to be the going rate, only seen one on the bay recently and that one went a little over 2 bills.....boooooo :(
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As far as tracking down some of these older, forgotten classic models I've taken a different approach in the past year or so. I'm getting to where I like my USER arsenal as much as I like NIB collector pieces. I'm finding that locating USERs are a bit easier to find in many cases. Not to mention you can usually get them a lot cheaper depending of course just how rare it really is. One example is that I have a USER blue handled, VG-10 PE Spyderhawk model that I got used some time back. But that one is so rare that even finding it at all is getting really tough. But that is one approach you can take on exploring those great Spyder classics.

It was also by finding Spyders for my USER arsenal that I actually discovered a couple of variants of models that I didn't even know existed. But like you said in your post it's fun for sure just to track these older Spyderco models down. Because some of the older Spyders are acltally some of my very favorite ones to use.
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

Great thread. My first spyderco was a pro-grip, which has been mentioned here as a forgotten model. And for anyone looking for some of these less often seen models, there is a catcher man for sale right now on bladeforums. Not sure if the price is good, but thought I'd pass along the info.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jmotley wrote:Great thread. My first spyderco was a pro-grip, which has been mentioned here as a forgotten model. And for anyone looking for some of these less often seen models, there is a catcher man for sale right now on bladeforums. Not sure if the price is good, but thought I'd pass along the info.
The PRO-GRIP and PROVENATOR models were quite similar and very good folders overall but you hardly ever hear of anyone here on the Forum even mentioning them at all :confused: As I said earlier many of these really nice models were overshadowed at the time by some of the iconic models like the POLICE, ENDURA, RESCUE and Delica along with several other models that were gaining in popularity at the time. Those two models aren't the only ones that were poorly timed and overshadowed. Hopefully we'll see more Sprint Runs of some of these obscure models.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Jmotley wrote:Great thread. My first spyderco was a pro-grip, which has been mentioned here as a forgotten model. And for anyone looking for some of these less often seen models, there is a catcher man for sale right now on bladeforums. Not sure if the price is good, but thought I'd pass along the info.
The PRO-GRIP and PROVENATOR models were quite similar and very good folders overall but you hardly ever hear of anyone here on the Forum even mentioning them at all :confused: As I said earlier many of these really nice models were overshadowed at the time by some of the iconic models like the POLICE, ENDURA, RESCUE and Delica along with several other models that were gaining in popularity at the time. Those two models aren't the only ones that were poorly timed and overshadowed. Hopefully we'll see more Sprint Runs of some of these obscure models.
I believe you're right, JD. Both the Provenator and Pro-Grip (and perhaps even the Spur and Hunter) were all a little ahead of their time. I think a rebirth of any of these models would be well received if offered again today--especially with steel "upgrades". I seldom carry my Pro-Grip simply because it is fairly difficult to extract from my pocket due to the rubber Kraton insert on the pocket clip. Although this was a good design idea, I'd like to see a new Pro-Grip offered in linerless G-10 and a regular pocket clip. VG-10 works fine for me, or S30V. I'd like to still see it offered in CE (just for old time's sake :)).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SN/JD, what aspects of the Provenator/Pro-grip do you feel would be in-demand today? Just from looking at online pictures, it would seem that the Pro-grip could be described as a slightly smaller Delica with a CE drop point blade. Would changing the blade shape of the Delica to include more belly fill the gap? Not entirely sure how feasible this is, since more belly means the blade needs to seat deeper in to the handle, but I wanted to throw that out there.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:SN/JD, what aspects of the Provenator/Pro-grip do you feel would be in-demand today? Just from looking at online pictures, it would seem that the Pro-grip could be described as a slightly smaller Delica with a CE drop point blade. Would changing the blade shape of the Delica to include more belly fill the gap? Not entirely sure how feasible this is, since more belly means the blade needs to seat deeper in to the handle, but I wanted to throw that out there.
The Pro-Grip, Provenator and the really rare SPUR model that Spydernut was talking about all have a very distinct blade style that is unusual by most of the Spyderco blades you see in this day and age. The only reason I didn't use the SPUR that I ended up trading was because of it's rarity and I was able to trade good for it. I guess it's fair to say that those three models had more of a 1990's Spyderco style than just about any other models from that era that I could think of at the moment without taking a hard look at TED's exhaustive list or Spyderwiki.

I guess the reason I think any or all of those three would be a good Sprint Run is for two reasons>> first off they have a blade style that's well liked for an EDC folder by long time, hard core Spyder fans. Also for those who have been focusing on collecting folders from that era>> second just from a nostalgic standpoint it would be very attractive to hard core collectors who like smaller but wider blade folder like the Spur and Progrip provide.

Because here in the past 5 years or so I'm seeing a real love for late 90s models in particular for collectors >> I believe those three models fill the void nicely.

One more reason would be with the rise in popularity of the smaller models like the Ladybug, Manbug, Jester and Kiwi. Because of the popularity of smaller Spyders which we've seen go up a lot in the past 2 years>> I believe the SPUR would be very well liked even by newbies and for folks who live in blade length restricted parts of the USA the SPUR & PROGRIP both would be an ideal EDC folders in my humble opinion. I think the SPUR would even be more appreciated from an EDC standpoint than some of the other smaller Spyders currently in the main line up. If I were SPYDERCO the SPUR would be the first one I would do a SPRINT Run of.
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Ignaz wrote:I think the Navigator is one of those forgotten models too. Probably because of the Dragonfly which is kind of similar.
I love the Navigator without the vents in the handle. Those scales are so buttery smooth and this is one of the smaller models that also happens to fit perfectly in my hand. Love the color as well. Awesome little knife.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Can we get an 'honourable mention' for the Leaf Storm?...Again, another knife ahead of it's time a tad and seems to have faded from the consciousness a bit-

I think the core issue was, at the time, it was simply a little too small. Roll the clock forward to 2015 and compare it with today's uber-popular Techno and there's more than a little commonality.

S30V, Ti RIL, natural jade G10 scale- all in a package that'll fit in the 'watch pocket' of a pair of jeans?- Mmm-hmm. :)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

bengaiser wrote:
Ignaz wrote:I think the Navigator is one of those forgotten models too. Probably because of the Dragonfly which is kind of similar.
I love the Navigator without the vents in the handle. Those scales are so buttery smooth and this is one of the smaller models that also happens to fit perfectly in my hand. Love the color as well. Awesome little knife.
I also think the Navigator ends up in the shadow of the same-shaped Meerkat with it's funky Phantom lock...The novelty factor and all that ;)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

paladin wrote:JD Smith flies under most Spyderholics' radar
Agree !

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Brock O Lee wrote:
paladin wrote:JD Smith flies under most Spyderholics' radar
Agree !

The JD Smith truly was overlooked at the time it was in the main line up>> Because as well designed of a folder as the JD Smith is it could have been Spyderco's version of the BUCK model 110 IMO. Not only is it super functional it is absolutely one of the most ergonomic folders Spyderco ever made.

I have virtually the same opinion of the C-54 Calypso ( the original of all the Calypso series). Many of Spyderco's overlooked and under-appreciated blades could blow away most other company's high end blades. Both the JD Smitha and C-54 Calypso were both out of the GOLDEN ERA Of SPYDERS.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

JD, did you manage to pick up the brown Calypso sprint? I was on the fence on this one as I do love a good back lock, but ultimately decided against it due to size.