custom endura scales on a matriarch 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dubya3

custom endura scales on a matriarch 2?

Post by dubya3 »

After all the talk of niche sprint runs that'll never happen I was wondering, will endura 4 scales fit on a matriarch 2? I have two dnduras incoming but can't physically compare them to my matriarch yet but if they're the same I think I'll get some toxic green or carbon fiber scales to slap on the M2.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

The Deacon

Re: custom endura scales on a matriarch 2?

Post by The Deacon »

The Matriarch 2 and Endura 4 share the same handle, so the scales are interchangeable. However, if the custom scales you're interested in come as a "set" with a custom backspacer, the backspacer may or may not have the notch needed to allow the Matriarch blade to close completely that Spyderco added when the Matriarch 2 started sharing the Endura 4's handle.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

That's good to know :)
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

Delica and lil matriarch are Defo interchangeable

Lee
Spyder-Monkey

Post by Spyder-Monkey »

Gotta get a brown delica to put my lil matriarch blade in!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Yes, both the Endura 4 and Delica 4 handles are interchangeable with the Matriarch and Lil Matriarch, respectively. Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

So does the Endura spacer work without modification on the Matriarch?
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dubya3 wrote:So does the Endura spacer work without modification on the Matriarch?
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the age of the Endura 4. If it was made before the Matriarch 2 started sharing the handle, then it lacks the large "notch" for the Mat2's tip. I that case it will not work, at least not without modification. If it was made after the Matriarch 2 came into being or, more specifically, after Spyderco ran out of the older Endura 4 backspacers, then it will work. White Endura 4 Sprint was pre-Mat2, spacer has only small notch for lanyard hole, Matriarch 2 spacer has much larger notch...
Paul
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Yes, both the Endura 4 and Delica 4 handles are interchangeable with the Matriarch and Lil Matriarch, respectively. Cheers, Radioactive :)
Wait a second here. There is a Matriarch 2 with G-10 handles? Or a G-10 Endura and a FRN Matriarch 2 will trade scales with no issues or crazy modifications needed?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

That's what you could assume from those pics. However, we can't be totally sure that those particular knives aren't closing with the blade contacting the guts. I just assume that's not the case.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tvenuto wrote:That's what you could assume from those pics. However, we can't be totally sure that those particular knives aren't closing with the blade contacting the guts. I just assume that's not the case.
Or we could assume that they're custom G-10 scales machined to accept the nested liners of the FRN Endura 4/Matriarch 2, and are being used with the "stock" FRN backspacer, in this case from an FRN Matriarch 2.
Paul
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I guess we're talking about my mods here? If so, they're both a straight swap of a stock foliage green G10 Delica and Endura. The lockbars were also swapped with their respective blades, and no special mods were done. The Lil Mat blade closes just fine with ample clearance into the G10 Delica frame. The full Mat blade tip did not clear the SS liners of the Endura frame without losing the very end (maybe a mm or two worth) of its tip. There is no allowance cut into either stock G10 handles to accept the Mat blades. I have since returned the Endura/Matriarch blades to their original homes, but the Lil Mat one is here to stay and is in my pocket now in fact. This is all assuming that you were all indeed referring to my swaps above ;). Happy Friday, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Yep. Definately fit on there without mods.....Though I will add, compared to a liner lock this was a thumb-buster :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/