Spyderco Ark - Sheath Problems?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DedRok

Spyderco Ark - Sheath Problems?

Post by DedRok »

Hey guys, I got my Ark about a week ago, and within a day I realized the sheath has very light retention. Once or twice I found around my neck half way in the sheath, and one time it even fell out of the sheath while I was doing garden work and the knife landed on my bare foot while I was wearing sandals ... luckily it didn't cut me.

For reference, while writing this, I just tested it out and a 5 inch drop by holding it by the chain will make it come out half way, a second time will make it drop out of the sheath completely.

I've heard other people talk about the lose sheath, is there a remedy for this? Is the retention supposed to be this lose Spyderco? The design makes me lack confidence in the ability to safely carry it as a neck knife which has me slightly disappointed in the sheath design. I can't trust it on my body. :(
TomH

Re: Spyderco Ark - Sheath Problems?

Post by TomH »

Sorry to hear about your problems. My main concern when I ordered this knife was how would the sheath perform. I've had the ARK for a couple of weeks now and the sheath hasn't had any issues. In fact, it's the best sheath of any production neck knife I've owned - and I've owned quite a few. Maybe you got a lemon or maybe I lucked out. I would guess it's just a lemon given that there's got to be lots of testing done on these. In any case, I hope you keep the forum updated on how this issue gets resolved. I don't want to be recommending the knife to others if there really is an issue with the sheath.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dedrock,

Why don't you send it to me. We'd like to study the problem and we'll send you a new one.

sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Mine has great retention. I've worn it while running and jumping and never had much of an issue. It did pop out once but you probably shouldn't wear a neck knife on a trampoline anyway...... I can't lie though when I first got it i thought the retention was kinda weak until i realized how light the knife was. I'm sure if you're not satisfied spyderco will make it right. They have adjusted sheaths in the past due to user complaints. The most recent was the enuff fixed blades.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

sal wrote:Hi Dedrock,

Why don't you send it to me. We'd like to study the problem and we'll send you a new one.

sal
Hey Sal, sorry to bring this up from the dead, I tried to pm you but it wouldn't let me. I went on a fishing trip and now I am back. I was wondering how you want me to send this to you? Thanks in advanced.
sal

Post by sal »

Send it to:

Sal Glesser
820 Spyderco way
Golden, Colorado 80403
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Sal, would Spyderco ever consider making a version of the Ark with a longer blade, perhaps drop point or leaf shaped or something like that? Just wondering.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SpyderEdge,

The knife was purpose designed. We made it as designed. No plans at this time to made a variation. I will say that the piece has been well received. The designers did a very nice job.

We are waiting on a sample with teeth.

sal
Last edited by sal on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo & added info
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

I'd have to agree. For a small, last resort defensive neck knife the ARK is about as perfect (and large) as you'd want. Any larger and it's not a neck knife anymore but a "regular" fixed blade you carry on a belt or however.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

sal wrote:

sal
I would love a SE version!! Hope to see/buy one soon!
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

sal wrote:Hi SpyderEdge,

The knife was purpose designed. We made it as designed. No plans at this time to made a variation. I will say that the piece has been well received. The designers did a very nice job.

sal
That sounds like a great idea... SE seems to fit nicely with the stated goal for the ARK...

Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd buy one with teeth. I know what the original design was for but i like it as a small fixed blade for utility purposes
Porkchopper

Post by Porkchopper »

Hello,

So I got my ark on Thursday of last week. I bought it to replace a minimalist since I was unhappy with the steel performance in crkt' version. (The two custom ones I own from John folts are amazing) The ark is lighter and much nicer to carry.

My problem is two fold. The sheath had horrible retention. I heated it with a hair dryer and I think it helped the situation a bit. The most significant problem is that the sheath dulls the blade when inserting and removing. Now maybe I am a bit of an edge snob, I will admit it, but I tested the theory. I honed the knife on ceramic and stropped it. Cut phone book paper like a breeze. Did about 50-70 cardboard cuts, used be full length of the blade. Then tested the phone book paper again. Still cut it without a problem. The. I put the knife in its sheath and removed it three times. The blade would no longer cut phone book paper or shave hair. Am I doing something wrong? Am I crazy? Any advice would be appreciated.

On another note, I have a lot of spydercos (about 40) Love them. Carry two daily. The pm2 never leaves my pocket. (Please do another sprint run in m390 or m4) No matter what I will always be a fan of this great company. Be well. God bless
Studey

Post by Studey »

Porkchopper, that tends to be an issue with any injection molded sheath. The glass content in the material dulls the knife quickly if the edge makes contact with the material.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Off topic but there are two new exclusive pm2's coming soon, both in M4. CF and natural G10
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)