Spyderco's Hidden & Forgotten models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Reject

Re: Spyderco's Hidden & Forgotten models

Post by Reject »

The Vagabond maybe another that a lot haven’t seen.

Last edited by Reject on Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
How much can a Koala bear?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would love the Jester and R in FRN.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I would love to see a sprint of the Rookie (mini Police) and the Dyad Jnr.

Would like to see the return of micarta. Yes I know it was discontinued, as far as I understand because it is slick and it can crack with changes in humidity etc, but I am just enjoying the classy look and feel of micarta on the JD Smith.

That micarta Jester is also a beauty !
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

I think that the C97 Viele II would deserve a second chance, I like my C42 Vieles very much and the C97 is just a downsized variant of them.
The Viele II is in itself a pretty nice design, but the choice of materials was quite unfortunate.
Bolster and polished Micarta on the display side, but G-10 on the clip side.

I'd like to see a Sprint of the C97 with the carbonfiber of the Zowada and Shabaria Spints, both sides please!

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL,

JDSpydo...glad to see you're still, "at it"!!!

I agree on the Adventura...speaking of which, does DiAlex still come here or is he too famous now? ;)

I think the :spyder: C50 IIRC design by Frank Centofante IMHO was one the best from back in the day. Then when he did the Vesuvius, :eek: :eek: :eek: !!! I always thought that was one heck of a beautiful knife, while being extremely functional. That Vesuvius platform lent itself well to the Cento3, Cento4. Speaking of functional...the Khalsa and the Dodo!

Gotta mention Ed Schempp's Persian and Mini Persian...and of course Laci's Szabofly, Perrin's Street Beat, Michael Janich's Yojimbo.

Forgot to mention, Michael Walker's Lightweight and it's different handle/steel variants...awesome.

Going WAAAY back, I wouldn't mind a Probe model done in H1!

Neat thread JD...great to see you again sir!
Be safe!
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Schempp Persian, captain, chokwe..
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:There’s the Hossom’s.
Three great examples "Reject" >> you hardly ever hear any of the Hossom models mentioned at all in the past 5 years or so. Also the SPOT and Maddox models.

Few people know that there was a deluxe version of the SPOT>> there was a SPOT model with Micarta scales and a VG-10 blade>> even when I owned that one you didn't hear much about it.

And Spyderco being one of the only knife companies to actually make a knife for handicapped people>>I'm speaking of the MADDOX model which was designed to be used for people who only had one hand or arm to be able to cut their food. Haven't even heard it mentioned in the past 4 years or so.

Spyderco has so many knives that have a story behind them. I never actually heard what inspired the SPOT model. The Hossom models were one of the few Spyders that I never owned because I never really understood what they were really intended to be used for >> but it has recently caused me to wonder why Spyderco hasn't done a high end machete>> Benchmade has recently released a high end machete and it will be interesting to see how they do sales wise with it.

Also your mention of the VAGABOND model is interesting. It hasn't been too long ago that Cliff Stamp did an interesting thread on that model and I encourage all of you to pull it up and take a look at it. I've always maintained that there would be two scenerios that would have made the knife a success>> first off I thought it might be a great candidate to be a fixed blade in the H-1 Salt Series but I also thought that the TEMPERANCE 1 model would be a super addition to the H-1 Salt Series which would give a lot of people an affordable outdoor type fixed blade as would the VAGABOND model. Also I've wondered how the VAGABOND model would have done with a premium blade steel like VG-10 or one of the Crucible blade steels. It truly would be interesting to see some of these models again with better blade steel the second go-around.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ha I just mentioned the Maddox in the oddball sprint thread yesterday. I think when people mention the Maddox it's usually in reference to its obscurity or specialization.

As far as the vagabond being a great candidate for the salt series, you're right, as it already exists in the form of the Aqua Salt. I know you probably meant with the integrated guard, but Sal mentioned in another thread that the Vagabond mold was modified to create the Aqua Salt mold, making a throwback sprint of the vagabond impossible (or at least prohibitively expensive).
762cal

Post by 762cal »

I am still thinking the Chokwe is one of the hidden and forgotten models.

I am new to Spyderco, hence the chokwe reference :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

762cal wrote:I am still thinking the Chokwe is one of the hidden and forgotten models.

I am new to Spyderco, hence the chokwe reference :)
If they ever do a Sprint Run of the Chockwe in a steel like M390, S90V or even Cruwear I would buy one in a nanosecond :cool: The design always reminded me a lot of my precious JD Smith model which has been one of my TOP 10 All Time Favorites for many years now. And you're right about the CHOKWE model being one that was under-appreciated and much overlooked unfortunately.

The Brother that made mention of the CAPTAIN model raises a great question>> I do believe that if they ever made a SPRINT Run of the C-111 Captain with the inner arch part of the blade in full Spyderedge and keep the pendulum end plain edged I do believe that knife would gain huge fanfare and would be super competition for the Hawkbill models. And that's true with a lot of models that bit the dust.

It sort of surprises me that there are so many fans for the SCORPIUS model coming out of the woodwork here lately because I remember when that knife was in the main line up you didn't hear much about it at all.

I can also appreciate Brother Marcus speaking of the Viele II model>> because I still maintain that if they did an Ayoob model in a smaller scale version with a shorter blade I don't think you could keep them on the shelf. Great selection of past models you guys have brought forth and it's becoming a better thread than I thought it would. Sort of surprised that no one has mentioned any of the Bob Lum models or any of the past recurve models for that matter.
Reject

Post by Reject »

:) The Viele is one of my favourite models.

How much can a Koala bear?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

All stainless C14 Rescue and C45 Rescue Jr, shown here along with a C02 Mariner...
Black and orange EMT versions of the Snap-It...
Black and orange EMT versions of the Remote Release...
Pirka, made as an exclusive for Mont-Bell, a Japanese sporting goods store. It was suppose to be sold only in Japan, but Mont-Bell advertised it in their US catalog. FRN Pro-Grip handle with a different shaped blade...
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

This is the first time I've seen the remote release Deacon, how exactly does the release mechanism work?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

farnorthdan wrote:This is the first time I've seen the remote release Deacon, how exactly does the release mechanism work?
The mechanism consists of a spring loaded rod riding in a tube built into the handle and fitted with a knurled "release button". Pushing that button forward opens the "gate". The spring returns the gate to the closed position when you release the button and keeps it there.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've always liked the "Remote Release" model much better than the SNAP-IT model>> but I'm sure people that are into rock climbing and rapelling would have their own personal preferences.

Spyderco had a lot of great "specialty knives" over the years and most of the best ones were from THE GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS 1998-2003. What other knife company would have made a knife for handicapped people i.e. the MADDOX model? I do agree with the one Brother concerning the P'Kal model. It certainly must have a consistent cult following because it's been on the main line up for some time.

Many of the discontinued specialty knives like the GUNTING are still popular and high in demand. I've also seen a steady and growing demand for Spyderco's great Hawkbill models>> a few companies have made a feeble attempt to compete with Spyderco's Hawkbills but they are running a distant second with a huge gap between.

And who else has ever done a specialty knife that is geared to save whales in trouble? Spyderco is the innovator in the industry not only with blades but with sharpening equipment.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

JD Spydo wrote:There are models that have a really solid cult following like the LiL TEMPERANCE, Terzoula and the ultra-unique Dyad models. I'm wondering what models you all deem as lost/hidden classics? I'm also wondering which obscure model(s) that you all think would be a great SPRINT RUN?
I'm not sure I would include the original Terzuola models (both the Sr. and the Jr.) in the hidden/forgotten category, JD. When these models originally hit the street, they generated a huge amount of attention among knife fanatics. Remember, this was Spyderco's FIRST collaboration and their first "super premium" knife. Lots of folks were lusting after those models and saving their pennies to buy them.

I don't know what the Terzuola's sales numbers looked like - but these knives cemented Spyderco's reputation as a real game-changer in the knife market.

As for my favorite "lost/hidden" classic? I'll go for the Solo line, especially the small plain-edged SO-01... One of my all-time favorite designs by Sal.

TedP

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:There are models that have a really solid cult following like the LiL TEMPERANCE, Terzoula and the ultra-unique Dyad models. I'm wondering what models you all deem as lost/hidden classics? I'm also wondering which obscure model(s) that you all think would be a great SPRINT RUN?
I'm not sure I would include the original Terzuola models (both the Sr. and the Jr.) in the hidden/forgotten category, JD. When these models originally hit the street, they generated a huge amount of attention among knife fanatics. Remember, this was Spyderco's FIRST collaboration and their first "super premium" knife. Lots of folks were lusting after those models and saving their pennies to buy them.

I don't know what the Terzuola's sales numbers looked like - but these knives cemented Spyderco's reputation as a real game-changer in the knife market.

As for my favorite "lost/hidden" classic? I'll go for the Solo line, especially the small plain-edged SO-01... One of my all-time favorite designs by Sal.
TED I couldn't agree with you more>> yes those early/1990s SOLO and G-Sakai models truly did set a trend in the early going of Spyderco's great entrance to the commercial knife market. There was a hunting knife that was in the 1997 Spyderco dealer's catalog made by G-Sakai with a genuine stag handle that was a gorgeous piece. Also some of the older/vintage Spyderco kitchen cutlery was really great too.

I just found one of the older IRONSTONE catalogs along with my C-40 Jot Singh Khalsa poster with 1990s NYC in the background :cool: Speaking of the Khalsa I think it might have been one of Spyderco's most misunderstood blades ever. It almost makes me laugh really loud when some of the guys I work with will pick up one of my Japan made Spyders and try to compare it to some of the stuff made in China :rolleyes: But I get the last laugh on that one because few people know that high end Japanese cutlery is some of the finest on the planet and their stuff sure helped get Spyderco where they are today. AGain those are great collector pieces Ted :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Some very cool stuff in this thread, glad it's generated so much good discussion and pics!

I'm also with Ted, I'm not sure I'd count any Terzoula as "forgotten," except maybe the Tmag. Those knives definitely have a following, and any early version that pops up on the bay gets bid into the stratosphere.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

I think the Navigator is one of those forgotten models too. Probably because of the Dragonfly which is kind of similar.
P1010510.JPG
P1010499.JPG
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ignaz wrote:I think the Navigator is one of those forgotten models too. Probably because of the Dragonfly which is kind of similar.
Excellent example with that "NAVIGATOR" model "ignaz">> It was one of the earlier models that got overshadowed and it was probably the super popularity of the DRAGONFLY model that contributed to it's lack of interest. It wasn't the only model out of that time period that got passed over by other models.. The SPUR, PROGRIP and the STANDARD were all great models but for some reason they just didn't have success sales-wise at the box office. That's an excellent example of what I'm talking about.

There were even variants of popular models that never got much attention like the Titanium POLICE model along with the P.I.G. POLICE model.

Two other models that didn't get much attention when they were obtainable were the MOUSE and the IMPALA which are both popular now but when they were in the main line up they got very little attention from what I can remember.