Comfortable carry of full size folder (i.e. Military) running or at the gym

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ohcyclist

Re: Comfortable carry of full size folder (i.e. Military) running or at the gym

Post by ohcyclist »

Salts are great for any activity where there could be lots of sweat. Pacific could fit the bill as others have mentioned. Very light for their size.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

DansGunBlog wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:I used to carry a Keltec P3AT .380 ACP with a HipClip. This way, this light weight pistol (7 to 9 oz) clipped inside the waistband of my running shorts and did not pull them down. No holster.
A P3AT running? Nice... We're talking more solid running shorts I imagine, say cargo shorts? HipClip sounds quite workable, tho thinking running in the Texas heat would rust the **** out of said firearm.

Was just looking at the 5.11 Select Carry Pistol Pouch, aka tactical fanny pack - supposedly accommodates a G19 while running... thinking a G42 will be more appropriate to minimize bouncing.

I had the P32 back in the day when they first came out, actually looking at the Ruger LCP currently, or more likely the Kahr P380/CW380 - same size for a higher quality firearm, same price for the CW380 and without the sweat/rust issues of the LCP.

Dan
It is called a ClipDraw. http://clipdraw.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the other one is a Barami Hip-Grip http://www.baramihipgrip.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The P3AT weight is around 11 oz and S&W makes one of their scandium .38 Special revolvers at that same weight. I had both. Also, I used the ClipDraw on my Glock 26. I used a Barami Hip-Grip on my S&W revolver.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

DansGunBlog wrote:@HarleyXJGuy

Ha! Indeed you did, and you were spot on! Love the Military. Thanks kindly for the encouragement to go that way.

LOL I just updated the review a few days ago with my 6 month impressions a few days ago.

Went with the camo/satin originally, seriously considering getting another in camo/black. Got some other Spydies on the list as well, tho none that would compete with the Military as a primary EDC... looking at the JumpMaster, Civilian/Matriarch, and ARK knife. ARK is intriguing, seems to be a **** well executed neck knife, addressing the core deficiencies of most neck knives.

Dan
Don't forget the 204P Military is coming out soon.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
DansGunBlog wrote:@HarleyXJGuy

Ha! Indeed you did, and you were spot on! Love the Military. Thanks kindly for the encouragement to go that way.

LOL I just updated the review a few days ago with my 6 month impressions a few days ago.

Went with the camo/satin originally, seriously considering getting another in camo/black. Got some other Spydies on the list as well, tho none that would compete with the Military as a primary EDC... looking at the JumpMaster, Civilian/Matriarch, and ARK knife. ARK is intriguing, seems to be a **** well executed neck knife, addressing the core deficiencies of most neck knives.

Dan
Don't forget the 204P Military is coming out soon.
Negative Ghost Rider, not after the sit-down i had with my wife the other day about the new guns and knives already on my list lol. :-)

The 2 items i'm most intrigued by at the moment are the Spyderco JumpMaster (Civilian a close second) and the H&K VP9.

The VP9 is weird, been Glock for so many years, the VP9 is the first non-Glock full size handgun I've had any real interest in in a very long time, most have ranked a firm "meh" on my scale. Gonna play with one Tuesday morning, should be fun. it's weird actually, don't remember the last time I've seen so many hard core gun guys drooling all over themselves about a new gun. tho it is bar none the most ergonomically designed handgun i've ever picked up.

then there's the ultra compact pistols, it's like Christmas these days, some truly excellent ULTRA portable options out there.
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

"The pattern is full!"

I am with you on the whole Glock thing. Been running one in some form since my Gen 1 G17. Recently picked up a used CZ P-07 that was the test mule for Cajun Gun Works. They devloped there trigger work on it and to say it is the best pistol trigger I have ever used would be a vast understatement. Looking at a PCR to go.with it soon.

It is a sickness I tell you. One I have no interest in the cure for.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

DansGunBlog wrote:@m6steen Now that sounds excellent... no zipper, easy access.

I'd looked at the Flipbelt on amazon, but hadn't gotten one yet.

How do you like it? and is it waterproof?

Thanks!
Dan
It's great for me running on roads or trails. I have a small which fits my ~30" waist well. It's made of a synthetic stretch material and doesn't have any adjustments so you have to step into it and pull it up around your waist. Also, not waterproof or water resistant so your knife or phone will get wet with rain or sweat. HTH...
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

m6steen wrote:
DansGunBlog wrote:@m6steen Now that sounds excellent... no zipper, easy access.

I'd looked at the Flipbelt on amazon, but hadn't gotten one yet.

How do you like it? and is it waterproof?

Thanks!
Dan
It's great for me running on roads or trails. I have a small which fits my ~30" waist well. It's made of a synthetic stretch material and doesn't have any adjustments so you have to step into it and pull it up around your waist. Also, not waterproof or water resistant so your knife or phone will get wet with rain or sweat. HTH...
Hmmm... any idea if a Ruger LCP (or even say a somewhat lighter Kel-Tec P32) would work in one of the pockets, with the Military or Pac Salt in the other pocket?

I'm just resistant to the big 5.11 gun rig, tho i guess I should try it... they claim you can run with a G19.

Thanks!
Dan

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Iwb SE H1 Spyderhawk. I just clip it inside the shorts with the clip outside. Never had any issues. I hear those 511 shirts are great but itch a lot.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Wear my BG-42 Military all the time either clipped inside my shorts to my underwear (Each time I'm at PT for all the sensitive rear echelon background types, in case its seen...), or on my waistband when in shorts just bumming around on my own time. Only thing that's ever rusted a little on that knife is the BB detent, and the stop pin.
Been doing it for years. Don't even know its there....
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

An option, when running, is to carry a pouch that holds small items. One can switch hands, at the halfway point, or every lap, to balance the work load. When my knees still permitted me to run fast and far enough to require running shorts, I used a belt pouch made by Michaels of Oregon/Uncle Mike's to hold an Airweight J-frame snubby, a Speed Strip, a small SAK, and my keys, though as described above, I carried the pouch in one hand, alternating hands with each lap around the park. A similar pouch could hold a folder and other items.

Now that I am more of a fast walker, with short runs mixed in, with my German Shepherd, my pants have pockets that accommodate normal folders, and my belt pouch is a Safepacker on the belt, holding a duty-sized pistol.
John Shirley

Post by John Shirley »

When out exercising in shorts, I have a Manix 2 LW clipped to my waistband. It's lightweight enough to ride securely.
DansGunBlog wrote: Got some other Spydies on the list as well, tho none that would compete with the Military as a primary EDC... looking at the JumpMaster, Civilian/Matriarch, and ARK knife. ARK is intriguing, seems to be a **** well executed neck knife, addressing the core deficiencies of most neck knives.

Dan
Dan,

The ARK isn't a good primary EDC for most people, unless they have already gone to neck carry. Spyderco's many Clipits are better EDC choices for most people.

I am delighted with Spyderco's execution of the ARK, and I carry a Spyderco ARK instead of my handmade ones, but I still usually have some flavor Manix 2 clipped to my pocket.

The ARK does shine when you want a securely carried, unobtrusive and comfortably worn knife. Like most "deep carry" options, the user will have to practice to quickly present the ARK from underneath a shirt
John
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

John Shirley wrote:When out exercising in shorts, I have a Manix 2 LW clipped to my waistband. It's lightweight enough to ride securely.
DansGunBlog wrote: Got some other Spydies on the list as well, tho none that would compete with the Military as a primary EDC... looking at the JumpMaster, Civilian/Matriarch, and ARK knife. ARK is intriguing, seems to be a **** well executed neck knife, addressing the core deficiencies of most neck knives.

Dan
Dan,

The ARK isn't a good primary EDC for most people, unless they have already gone to neck carry. Spyderco's many Clipits are better EDC choices for most people.

I am delighted with Spyderco's execution of the ARK, and I carry a Spyderco ARK instead of my handmade ones, but I still usually have some flavor Manix 2 clipped to my pocket.

The ARK does shine when you want a securely carried, unobtrusive and comfortably worn knife. Like most "deep carry" options, the user will have to practice to quickly present the ARK from underneath a shirt
John
Hey John.

Absolutely, ARK would be a deep carry, last resort knife.

For general EDC I'm rather partial to the Military, with a SE Dragonfly or Tasman Salt free floating and easily accessible in the pocket for small jobs.
John Shirley wrote:When out exercising in shorts, I have a Manix 2 LW clipped to my waistband. It's lightweight enough to ride securely.
Huh... interesting. don't have one of those yet...

Thanks!
Dan

John Shirley

Post by John Shirley »

Absolutely welcome. I am very proud of the ARK, but it 's not a perfect solution for everyone, all the time.
John
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

John,

Ha! That's why your name sounded familiar, you were behind the ARK, totally didn't click at first. :-)

You know, I've found the ARK intriguing since I saw the early proto pics...

Odd phenomenon, I'm seeing a lot of the discussion threads around the ARK very heavily loaded on the convo of the terrible realities behind WHY it was designed. and while that's of course valid and all, i feel a lot of the potential of this knife is lost behind it.

I look at it differently... more of, "hey, a cool neck knife that addresses a lot of "neck knife" shortcomings."

** This is on paper, I've not handled one... Will need to get one in for review on DansGunBlog.com at some point.

But at least on paper, it seems you guys have addressed the core shortcomings so common to neck knives...

Neck knives traditionally have one or more of these major shortcomings:

1.) handle offers poor grip, especially in wet conditions
2.) handle offers little if any protection from hand slipping on blade due to hard penetration - read: proper index finger groove.
3.) design not aggressive enough for self defense, which is really one of the few real reasons to wear a neck knife - absolute last ditch self defense.
4.) sheath with poor retention (slips out) or over-agressive retention (hard to pull out)
5.) blade, handle, etc. may rust due to sweat, being close to the body especially in warm climates

Dan
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Shirley

Post by John Shirley »

Dan,

I tried to start with the worst case scenario- service member naked and alone, under attack. The form in this case is completely dictated by the circumstances. The tool had to provide a good grip, but would not always be carried if it was not minimal in size and weight.

The ARK had to be an intuitive design, easily usable by people with little or no training. It didn't need to be capable of instantly incapacitating, but it had to allow the user to escape someone bent on dominating them phsyically. The deeply curved blade was the most efficient way to give slashing ability while (with the choil) keeping the user as safe from him or herself as possible. It also needed to be capable of being worn constantly next to the skin without fear of rusting..

So, the ARK is very thin and easily carried. The deeply curved blade and 2mm thickness makes a slicer out of proportion to the compact size, while the shape still allows a good grip. The blade can't rust, even if neglected. I really think it's the best true neck knife I've seen, and I am very greatful to Sam (our Camp Defender was just in Blade Magazine, btw) for his willingness to work with me on another crazy project, and to Sal for his dedication to our service members.

John
Last edited by John Shirley on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyder-Monkey

Post by Spyder-Monkey »

You require an Endura 4!
vivi

Post by vivi »

When I want to carry a large folder like the Police 3 while wearing gym shorts, I just clip it to my waistband at 4 o clock. Stays secure and out of the way, and doesn't bounce around while being active. Give it a shot.
RunnersLunge

Post by RunnersLunge »

Glad your belt solution has been working out for you. The SpiBelt in all black would be my recommendation if you're going to be running- pretty similar concept. If I'm just wearing gym shorts I carry a Squeak or DF IWB almost all the time. If it's positioned at the small of your back the short knives go unnoticed even when sitting down. However, I may also carry a larger knife IWB when I'm in pants too.

@Bearfacedkiller with the phone in hand and Para IWB while running- wow.

Side note- I really love that squeak. So under appreciated in my opinion.
Trout Hound

Post by Trout Hound »

Some people find it comfortable to wear a belly band around their mid or upper abdomen when exercising, as it may tend to slide down less in that position. It should easily accommodate a large knife, and possibly a sub-compact handgun.

Speaking of neck carry, a Delica carried tip-up in a Kydex neck sheath is a great option for lots of activities that require light clothing. And, it works for those of us in jurisdictions where concealed fixed blades are illegal.
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

DansGunBlog wrote:Hmmm... any idea if a Ruger LCP (or even say a somewhat lighter Kel-Tec P32) would work in one of the pockets, with the Military or Pac Salt in the other pocket?

I'm just resistant to the big 5.11 gun rig, tho i guess I should try it... they claim you can run with a G19.

Thanks!
Dan
Since it's a stretchy material a small pocket-sized pistol would likely have some bounce to it as running with my Samsung S5 and Military does so a little bit. The horizontal slit openings are about 3-4" and might negate the purpose of carrying a pistol concealed, i.e. you'd have to tell your assailant to "wait a sec while I get my gun".
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N