Spyderco Reverse...In Doc's Mailbox

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dr. Snubnose

Spyderco Reverse...In Doc's Mailbox

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Yep it finally came....I even wore it yesterday, was comfy not only on hip but in hand (RGEI). Very lively and fast in drills. I like it!...It seems well made, with a more than adequate blade length, nicely contoured handles, only thing I would have wished for differently is a full tang instead of what's under those G-10 slabs....All in all...looks like a winner. I'm gonna play with it more and do some meat tests soon...will get back to you again in a couple of weeks with my impressions....Doc:)
Liquid Cobra

Re: Spyderco Reverse...In Doc's Mailbox

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sounds good doc! I look forward to reading your thoughts!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Yep it finally came....I even wore it yesterday, was comfy not only on hip but in hand (RGEI). Very lively and fast in drills. I like it!...It seems well made, with a more than adequate blade length, nicely contoured handles, only thing I would have wished for differently is a full tang instead of what's under those G-10 slabs....All in all...looks like a winner. I'm gonna play with it more and do some meat tests soon...will get back to you again in a couple of weeks with my impressions....Doc:)
Weren't we asking for this for a long time sifu?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Yah!....Now I'm gonna take you back a few years....right after the P'Kal and Trainer came out....there was a guy in Germany (forget his name) who posted pics on this forum of his Spyderco P'kal....what he did if I remember correctly was to epoxy that baby into a fixed blade and made a kydex sheath for it, the knife, locked and glued in the opened position......I knew then that Spyderco needed to make a fixed bladed version..Sal said he would seriously consider it for the future..and it was then that I had a wild hair up you know where, I found a custom maker who would make me some Pikal RGEI Fixed blades....that maker did...I still have and wear those knives..they have served me well..I think you may even have one in your junk draw....lol....but yeah...it's a long time coming.....who ever said....'good things come to him who waits'.....was right ;) Doc
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Yah!....Now I'm gonna take you back a few years....right after the P'Kal and Trainer came out....there was a guy in Germany (forget his name) who posted pics on this forum of his Spyderco P'kal....what he did if I remember correctly was to epoxy that baby into a fixed blade and made a kydex sheath for it, the knife, locked and glued in the opened position......I knew then that Spyderco needed to make a fixed bladed version..Sal said he would seriously consider it for the future..and it was then that I had a wild hair up you know where, I found a custom maker who would make me some Pikal RGEI Fixed blades....that maker did...I still have and wear those knives..they have served me well..I think you may even have one in your junk draw....lol....but yeah...it's a long time coming.....who ever said....'good things come to him who waits'.....was right ;) Doc
Haha, junk drawer indeed. One of my most prized knives sifu.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hey Doc, do you have any plans on testing the new Ronin 2 when it comes out?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I found a custom maker who would make me some Pikal RGEI Fixed blades....that maker did...I still have and wear those knives..they have served me well..
How have they served you well? Do they carry easily and make you feel confident that they could be employed in a self defense scenario if needed? Or do you use them for certain EDC tasks? Just wondering if a knife like the Reverse has some hidden utility I hadn't thought of.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

No edc tasks they are dedicated fighting knives....carry easy Yes, fast deployment yes, tested very well in meat tests....beautifully designed for efficiency and comfort....Doc:) Want to see some pics? First I found some pics of the P'Kal turned Fixed Blade from the German fellow who posted on this forum years ago...Image Now these are the one's I had custom made. ImageImage Image Image This is the one I gifted to Chuck the one in his Junk Draw (persian style) Image Then I had this one made with a double edge in Damascus Image...Maker Mark Goldsworthy...Enjoy Doc:)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Those look amazing. Really really well done.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Studey

Post by Studey »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Image

Those look amazing. Really really well done.
I actually got to handle one of these...they aren't folder-turned-fixed, they're actual fixed blades, made, IIRC, to deal with Germany's carry laws, which would prohibit carry of the P'kal, but would allow for the carry of a fixed blade such as these.

I look forward to handling a reverse, I expect to have one arrive for sheathing anyday.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay Studley....Yes you are correct....I first saw these back in 2011, (checked the date on the pic I saved) Now I remember, at the time I thought they were folders turned to fixed blades, that's probably why I said they were....but fixed blades they are, in the Spyderco Design... made for the very reasons you mentioned....I stand corrected!..Thank you....Doc:)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Evil D wrote:Hey Doc, do you have any plans on testing the new Ronin 2 when it comes out?
Ay Evil D.....I have no plans on testing the new Ronin 2 when it comes out....I may pick one up in the future but It's not on my bucket list of must have knives....from the design I can pretty much tell how it will perform.....Doc:)