brightly colored G10 handles...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pdxgti8v

brightly colored G10 handles...

Post by pdxgti8v »

Hey guys, newbie here......

Looking at getting custom scales made for my incoming PM2...and I was curious...

Do g10 handled knives in Safety orange or Dayglow yellow get dirty or grungy with use? Do they stain easily?

I'm thinking of Dayglow yellow g10 handles for the PM2, but i plan on using/carrying the PM2 and was curious if the bright colors get stained or grungy with use......
paladin

Re: brightly colored G10 handles...

Post by paladin »

Welcome! :) :spyder:

yup...they will get very dirty

Two points to keep in mind:

1. Some consider dirt/grime like a patina or a "badge of honor"-- however, if you prefer the neat & tidy look...

2. Auto parts shop brake cleaner spray ( ca. $3 or $4 ) will take them back to original cleanliness except in the most extreme cases...I've never run into one of those myself :eek:
pdxgti8v

Post by pdxgti8v »

okay, so the brake cleaner will remove any hardcore stains and grunge with no harm to the g10? how often can you use the brake cleaner before it harms the scales? I take it you want to use the non-chlorinated brake cleaner?

yeah, the whole patina thing...not necessarily a fan...it looks cool on micarta though, the scales you can get that look old right out of the box....
paladin

Post by paladin »

one of the properties of G10 is that it is pretty impervious to chemical attack...

having said that, I'd go with the straight cleaner, no chlorine chaser...

I've used this to good effect:

http://www.autozone.com/brake-and-power ... 47882_0_0/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I spray a bit on a shoprag, dab it on the scales, trying to avoid pivot area, grab a toothbrush or piece of scotchbrite if handy and gently scrub, dab up residue...add mineral oil from a rag to make scales wet/shiny looking again...DONE

don't spray directly on scales, it's messy & may penetrate pivot area & affect lube...

*REMINDER* I reserve the brake cleaner for TOUGH oily stains...black oil, packing grease, etc.

I've also used paint/epoxy stripper for paint / ink stains on some of my G10 fixed blades...didn't harm the G10 in the slightest...the blade epoxy coating...well, that's a different story! ;)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I've heard magic eraser works as well, but all of my G10 is dark or black, so I've never felt the need to clean.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

paladin wrote:Welcome! :) :spyder:

yup...they will get very dirty

Two points to keep in mind:

1. Some consider dirt/grime like a patina or a "badge of honor"-- however, if you prefer the neat & tidy look...

2. Auto parts shop brake cleaner spray ( ca. $3 or $4 ) will take them back to original cleanliness except in the most extreme cases...I've never run into one of those myself :eek:
My Jester sprint shows and traps crud like a champ, as I have ready access to an ultrasonic cleaner, and continuous feed steamer (work in a jewelry shop), I can attest to those two tools getting the G10 looking like new without any risk to the scales or blade. Many independent (non-snooty) jewelers offer free cleaning and if asked would likely do a sonic-n-steam for you.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
grewich

Post by grewich »

tvenuto wrote:I've heard magic eraser works as well, but all of my G10 is dark or black, so I've never felt the need to clean.
Yep. I use magic eraser on my 20cp para2 about 2-3 times a week. Works magically.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm betting most of the responses here are based on Spyderco's peel-ply G-10. Without that dirt magnet peel-ply outer layer G-10 is a non-absorbent "plastic". If you purchase smooth polished, or polished "Anso style" corrugated, G-10 custom scales then the only places "grunge" might collect is around the screw heads.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I wouldn't recommend the use of harsh chemicals like brake or carb cleaner on your G10. While very resistant to many things, nothing is immune and even G10 has weaknesses like most strong acids and ketones. I don't know exactly what's in these products, but I'm sure it's mostly strong organic solvents including ketones and while it may not melt the G10, it will wear it away over time.

I haven't gotten a stain on my grey G10 knives that I couldn't clean off with some dish soap and elbow grease. If you're a person that likes a clean look, you're probably going to clean more often as well which makes it that much easier every time. If you look close enough, even my smurf blue, forest green, and brown G10 knives get dirty and benefit from a good scrubbing to brighten them back up. Like Deacon said, it's the texture that traps the dirt so unless you want to smooth it out or go a whole other route like titanium, it's best to accept the fact that you're going to have to clean your handles. I use my knives on food, so they get washed often anyway.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
pdxgti8v

Post by pdxgti8v »

Thanks for all the tips and tricks gentlemen! My knife wont ever get real dirty, I am an office jockey and don't get out much, so I should be fine, maybe clean the knife once every couple months...

Thanks again for your help!
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Best way to clean perfectly G10 scales my orange paramilitary is MrClean magic eraser or similar product from 3M. So I recommend it as well...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pdxgti8v,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Yeah the dish soap, brush and magic eraser cleaning method gets them looking like new.

Repeated washing may get them dried out and dull looking, a coating of Ballistol or mineral oil takes care of that.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

An old toothbrush, a little soap and a bit of elbow grease makes for a good intermediate solution before breaking out the big guns I find ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

pdxgti8v wrote:Hey guys, newbie here......

Looking at getting custom scales made for my incoming PM2...and I was curious...

Do g10 handled knives in Safety orange or Dayglow yellow get dirty or grungy with use? Do they stain easily?

I'm thinking of Dayglow yellow g10 handles for the PM2, but i plan on using/carrying the PM2 and was curious if the bright colors get stained or grungy with use......
Greetings and Welcome to the Spyderco Forum :) First off you don't have to worry one bit about G-10 getting dirty, greasy or smudged with any type of chemical because there is a product that makes G-10 look like brand new>> I'm speaking of BALLISTOL. I've been using BALLISTOL to clean and lubricate G-10 handles since the mid 2000s. I've had nothing but great luck with it and I've even seen BALLISTOL actually rejuvenate faded G-10 handles and even ones that look extremely weathered as well.

I have some Spyderco G-10 handles with all types and colors of G-10 material and I've never yet had BALLISTOL fail me. Actually I wish they would do more folders and fixed blades with various types and colors of G-10>> it's one of my very favorite handle/scale materials. >> JD :spyder: O
awa54

Post by awa54 »

JD Spydo wrote:>> I'm speaking of BALLISTOL. I've been using BALLISTOL to clean and lubricate G-10 handles since the mid 2000s. I've had nothing but great luck with it and I've even seen BALLISTOL actually rejuvenate faded G-10 handles and even ones that look extremely weathered as well.

I have some Spyderco G-10 handles with all types and colors of G-10 material and I've never yet had BALLISTOL fail me. >> JD :spyder: O
Yeah, but then you have to deal with a knife that *smells like* Ballistol! ;) But seriously, Ballistol is the only edible miracle lubricant/protectant out there that delivers on most of the hype... the German military isn't prone to using snake oil type products.

But it really does smell funky IMO.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...