Anybody find any exciting "old stock" at out of the way stores, online or B&M?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Anybody find any exciting "old stock" at out of the way stores, online or B&M?

Post by DougC-3 »

I was bored today and checked the Spyderco stock at a few online stores off my beaten path anyway. I ran across some deals that were interesting to me, but haven't ordered any of them yet:

Omaha Knife: black Nishijin Cricket - $79; Caly 3.5 G-10 - $125

Jays Knives/American Edge: Nishijin R - $159.95; Ladybug sheepfoot - $49.95

Sooner State Knives - Nishijin R - $155

Moore Cutlery - New in Box C01S Worker ATS-55 - $225

Have you seen any interesting deals on older knives online or in local B&Ms lately?
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
fellyjr

Re: Anybody find any exciting "old stock" at out of the way stores, online or B&M?

Post by fellyjr »

Jay's Knives : Spyderco Lil' Temperance Folder Green G-10 C96G - $209.95
Pinetreebbs

Re: Anybody find any exciting "old stock" at out of the way stores, online or B&M?

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I found two CF Cat knives in a small country store, both were were perfect. They were just a little pricy, $40, for the store customers and had been sitting there for some time.

I found some sold by Spyderco button lock knives at an online retailer.

I found a NOS Spyderco Captain in a local police and firearms store. The price was pretty high, but I could not find it and I do try to support local businesses, so I bought the Captain. I not sure, but I think I pissed the owner off when I asked about buying a curved plexiglass Spyderco display case he wasn't really using. He also had a couple of other Spyderco knives including some autos. A few months later I asked one more time and got the same response so I haven't returned. I think they prefer to sell to LEO only, but that is their business.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Country knives is a great one for NOS, tons of great oldies but very spendy.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I saw the lil Temperance at Jay's too. He used to have some SE PM1s.

I love to peruse Country Knives. I got my first sprint* there, a green PM2 204P numbered CC knife. I paid a premium price for it, but was very happy to get it at the time. The owner knows the Glesser family and comes on the forums from time to time.

*Edit: Actually the green PM2 was a Blue Ridge Knives distributor Exclusive, not a sprint. Interesting that the upcoming Millie of the same theme is a Knifeworks-only exclusive.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I just bought a dyad jr from CK after watching one go for over $200 on the bay, granted it was a NOS micarta, the one I just got was the later frn version but still almost half the price.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ha, I fantasize about walking into an random mom and pop store, or a pawn shop, and finding a case with some old forgotten Spyderco gems on the cheap. Obviously, there aren't many of these kinds of stores left, and at this point most are selling on eBay as well, but I always keep an eye out when I'm in a new place.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

yes there is several "skeletonized" spydies (C, Q) at my friend's store here in Indonesia... been looking at that but not wanting to buy them that much.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Unfortunately the only B&M near me is wise enough to also run an online store and knows very well what old knives, especially Spydercos, can sell for so he doesn't have anything old. He will sometimes take in older used knives in trade so you can stumble across the older molded clip models from time to time.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I once bought a NIB PE Merlin, and a Toad at a small gun shop for very good prices. Haven't come across anything lately though.
:bug-red-white
Nate

Post by Nate »

Evil D wrote:Unfortunately the only B&M near me is wise enough to also run an online store and knows very well what old knives, especially Spydercos, can sell for so he doesn't have anything old. He will sometimes take in older used knives in trade so you can stumble across the older molded clip models from time to time.
Last time I was there he did have a full sized micarta Calypso sitting on a Tenacious or Resilience box, but it looked too big for me to carry it much.

Was able to score a nib Caly 3 in superblue for $150 from Willeyknives about 6 months ago, still pretty stoked about that one.

Botach had some new old stock serrated Caly Jrs for $40, but they're sold out now. They do also appear to be sitting on a bunch of Spyderflys, but they're relatively expensive at $200.
:spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I'm still looking for a Flat Iron folder, but they are very rare.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is something weird I found:

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=Spyderco&page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spyderco knives on Etsy with RE HANDLED WOOD HANDLES? Interesting, though not my cup of tea.

And this guy is selling this Endura for a very low price. Do you think its the real thing or how can he sell it that low? I guess because its used.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/234772038/ ... gallery_11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Says he is shipping it from Romania.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I tried contacting "Jay's Knives" twice with no response : (
Country knives has one or two I'd like but no Paypal : (
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

spyderg wrote:I tried contacting "Jay's Knives" twice with no response :
Probably off for the 4th and back on Monday ;)
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

fellyjr wrote:

Nope, tried once about 2 months ago, and again 2 weeks later in case my email got missed or forgotten about. : (
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

spyderg wrote:
fellyjr wrote:

Nope, tried once about 2 months ago, and again 2 weeks later in case my email got missed or forgotten about. : (
They seem to have been subsumed by American Edge. Maybe their contact info could have been changed? But I think this happened maybe a year ago. I got them on the phone pretty easily about a year ago.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Here is something weird I found:

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=Spyderco&page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spyderco knives on Etsy with RE HANDLED WOOD HANDLES? Interesting, though not my cup of tea.

And this guy is selling this Endura for a very low price. Do you think its the real thing or how can he sell it that low? I guess because its used.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/234772038/ ... gallery_11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Says he is shipping it from Romania.
I notice he said "Endura inspired design," which sounds a bit like the malarkey they say about fakes on eBay sometimes.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I don't know if this counts but Spanish Amazon (Amazon.es) have 2 Leafstorm's available for about $200 each. I think they normally go for around $250 on the BF exchange.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I bought a NIB Lil Temp leaf for less than$150 less than a year ago and it now lives with Wire Edge Roger. 440V too. Same place has a NIB Toad in SE