The manix 2 is seriously underated.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sbaker345

The manix 2 is seriously underated.

Post by sbaker345 »

I know most of you are going whaat? as its really popular among spyderco collectors, but in the broader knife community, although respected it seems to be overlooked as far as hard use folders go. For 78$ you can have a extremely tough durable knife in s30v, with spydercos fit and finish. I don't think there is another knife comparable within 15$ of it.

It does have flaws, its a bit heavy for some, s30v might not be the most ideal steel to abuse, the lock is stiffer than an axis lock. but for the price range i don't think it can be beat.

Anyone else agree?
Cujobob

Re: The manix 2 is seriously underated.

Post by Cujobob »

I agree it is underrated. The Axis lock is quicker but is also more prone to fail it would seem. The ergos and grind are really nice for edc use... Or even harder use. It may not be as 'fun' as a PM2 or some flippers, but it's terrific...at being a knife. Oddly enough I don't carry mine though ... Nor my PM2. Too many other great Spyderco choices.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

sbaker345 wrote:I know most of you are going whaat? as its really popular among spyderco collectors, but in the broader knife community, although respected it seems to be overlooked as far as hard use folders go. For 78$ you can have a extremely tough durable knife in s30v, with spydercos fit and finish. I don't think there is another knife comparable within 15$ of it.

It does have flaws, its a bit heavy for some, s30v might not be the most ideal steel to abuse, the lock is stiffer than an axis lock. but for the price range i don't think it can be beat.

Anyone else agree?
The S110V is the best deal on planet earth imho...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It had it's moment when it was the bee's knees but then that darn Para 2 came about and stole the spotlight with all the sprints it has been fortunate to have. The M2 has had a good amount of sprints as well but most of them have come and gone. I've gone back and forth between those two knives and have settled firmly in the Manix 2 camp now. I just think it's a superior knife in pretty much every way.
MacLaren wrote: The S110V is the best deal on planet earth imho...

Dollar for dollar, this knife is king.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Preaching to the choir here.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I agree. I had a lot of knives when I bought my first Manix 2, the hollow ground 154CM version. At first I was underwhelmed with it. It seemed a little heavy and I had not learned the best way to operate it yet. I was in the process of packing, moving and unpacking, and I used the knife a lot during that time. I learned how to easily operate it and it became my favorite design for a work knife. Now I have a total of 4 of the standard size and 3 of the XL's.

For what they are, the knife is available at a lower price than other comparable knives. Considering features, materials and construction I think it is one of the best values out there. (I also like the Tenacious and considering ITS features, materials and construction I think it is one of the best values in its class.)
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Eric Glesser's designs have always been top of my favorites list. He has a fantastic attention to detail and a master of ergonomics IMHO. I agree that the M2 seems to be understated in its fame. Hopefully the M2 and Eric get credit for both being excellent.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

jtoler_9 wrote:Eric Glesser's designs have always been top of my favorites list. He has a fantastic attention to detail and a master of ergonomics IMHO. I agree that the M2 seems to be understated in its fame. Hopefully the M2 and Eric get credit for both being excellent.
I quite agree. Cant say enough about the Domino.
I just love that knife.....
Of course, E has the best teacher in Sal. The Temperence 2 and Caly series not to mention the others.......they are just flat out gifted.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think it's one of the top sellers, so I'm not sure it's fair to call it underrated, but it's definitely a superb knife.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Underrated !? Where ? On the Moon ? :confused:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:Underrated !? Where ? On the Moon ? :confused:
Buna Ziua Elena.

What are the knife laws like in Romania? Are you allowed to carry a Manix 2?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
elena86 wrote:Underrated !? Where ? On the Moon ? :confused:
Buna Ziua Elena.

What are the knife laws like in Romania? Are you allowed to carry a Manix 2?
Quite ambigous and relaxed.Unless yo exibit the knife in public or use it in a fight, cops don't mess with you,nor they body search you.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

My Cruwear Manix2 was my first Spydie. It was such a nice knife it started a "collection"!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?