The stainless clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
powernoodle

The stainless clip

Post by powernoodle »

I'm loving my stainless clips. The OEM black clip looks nice - no doubt - but stainless really changes the character of the knife. The flavor of the stainless clip matches nicely with the stainless hardware and blade for a uniform appearance. And there is no black paint to wear off, though I also dig the look of a well-worn black clip.

These clips can be purchased, with screws, for a nominal fee from the Spyderco Factory Outlet. They arrive with a moderate polish, and I hit mine with some metal polish (Mother's Mag Wheel polish, Flitz, Simichrome, etc.) and a Q-tip for about 30 seconds to bring it up a notch.

Yeah, baby.

I own about 25 Enduras and Delicas, and think the stainless clip may look best when matched with orange scales. It also radically alters the Halloween motif of the original clip. This clip is going to look great on a Delica 4 G10 in Powernoodle Blue.

Okay, maybe the green plus stainless looks best . . . .
tvenuto

Re: The stainless clip

Post by tvenuto »

I would be interested to see the Spyderco decision tree when deciding on either bare or black clips. As you say, it seems a bit more natural to have the bare clip on the Delica/Endura line, and then many of the black G10 models have the shiny bare clip where I'd think you'd want a more subdued look. This is obviously just my opinion (or is it?) but it does seems strange. I've actually been meaning to make a clip order when I get around to it, although I'll probably be taking the polish down a notch on mine.

PS. I'd love to see more of your Delicas! I'm amassing a small army of FRN Delicas myself, which I plan on revealing after making a few mods.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yup you nailed it powernoodle. I completely agree. I was kind of confused when the brown stretch 2 was released with a black clip. Had I bought that model the first thing I would have done was swap out the black clip for a shiny one.

I agree with Tvenuto, more pictures!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
pcguy23

Post by pcguy23 »

Did the same thing with a couple of my Delica's, I like the stainless a lot better also.
I wouldn't mind a Delica with a wire clip like the Dragonfly either
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

E4 and D4 in wire clip would be glorious. Caly 3.5 has the best clip and clip position as well
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Some knives definitely do look better with shiny clips, but for knives I actually carry, I do the opposite, and replace shiny clips with black ones. This weekend I might try etching some shiny hourglass clips to give them a matte finish. I don't like a lot of bling sticking out of my pockets. The finish on the Kahr Delica clips is great, IMO.
:bug-red-white
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Got to love a polished clip.

I agree that orange looks sweet with a shiny clip.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Swapped the black clip off my new Stretch SB within minutes of opening it!

I'd bet that the black clips would polish up nicely if you strip off the paint and then buff them.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I agree, I nearly unanimously change all my clips to stainless on the Delicas and Enduras I have. It looks much much better. Well, those that I don't put Casey Lynch clips on that is...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
powernoodle

Post by powernoodle »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Casey Lynch clips
I hear you.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like black clips myself. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I like black clips myself. ;)
I think I know the reason: IWB carry. I've been IWB carrying my Delicas recently because I wear gym shorts most of the time, and the black clip is definitely desirable in that situation.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

powernoodle wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Casey Lynch clips
I hear you.

I'm going to google them

I hope that they make one for my native as well.
powernoodle

Post by powernoodle »

JA, he is "theoriginalspaceman" on Bladeforums. He has a big sales thread there.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

powernoodle wrote:JA, he is "theoriginalspaceman" on Bladeforums. He has a big sales thread there.

Thanks Man

One more reason to join Bladeforums.

I could not find his stuff for sale on the net.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

You don't need to join BF to get clips from Casey. Just peruse his thread to see what you want or like, and then send him an email at:

thelastleaf1@gmail.com

He's great to deal with and will answer any questions you might have. You will NOT be disappointed in his service or ultra high quality craftsmanship. Tell him we said hi from Radioactive and his friends over here on the Spyderco forum! :D Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I usually darken the clip learnt from here:https://youtu.be/zcWa5ZtBECE
Chris :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Depends on the knife for me. I tend to prefer a more subdued finish since the world can be a little uptight about people who carry knives.
victorf

Post by victorf »

Bought 6 Casey Lynch's deep carry Ti clips. Reasonable price, very nice clips and while in pocket, makes the knife hardly noticeable - but problem I had was with the difficulty to remove from pocket. Experience taught me appreciation of original clip. Off they went!

As with the overall Spyderco designs, lots of thought went into the functionality of the clip. Went back to original! Only thing I did was toning down the shine to make carrying less conspicuous.

Blend in with carbon fiber:

Blend in with forest green:

Imitate ano'ed Ti handle, yet somewhat subdued:

In other natural setting, clips just blend in and enable other attribute shines through:

Opinions abound, these are just mine!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The painted clips have an understated matte finish under the easily-removed paint. They can be polished to a nice shine using a Dremel with a felt buffing wheel and some polishing compound.