Spyderco Civilian?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Re: Spyderco Civilian?

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

dubya3 wrote:
DansGunBlog wrote:Hi guys!

Looking at the Civilian... Very interesting knife. Hoping for some real world insights.

i.e... how do you like it? And what do you personally end up using it for? :-)

Thanks!
Dan
I've been putting a lot of thought into the Civilian the past week I came to the conclusion that I'm going to order a Matriarch SE. It's not much smaller, costs half the price of a Civi and is much lighter. You can also get it with the Emerson Opener which in theory would be great on a dedicated self defense blade.
This was my exact thinking. Great minds and all that.

Not that I need an excuse for a new Spydie. But right now there is so much regular and sprint goodness coming out I am thinking maybe the stupid sharp Military I already own will do. For now anyways.

To many good knives to little money.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

dubya3 wrote:I doubt it although I'd love to see a CF handle and a really tough steel sprint run on the Civi or Matriarch but I think it's to much of a niche market for that to happen.
I'd definitely get one though....though it'd be the 'Inception' of Sprints- a niche within a niche within a niche ;)
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

demoncase wrote:
dubya3 wrote:I doubt it although I'd love to see a CF handle and a really tough steel sprint run on the Civi or Matriarch but I think it's to much of a niche market for that to happen.
I'd definitely get one though....though it'd be the 'Inception' of Sprints- a niche within a niche within a niche ;)
LOL touché...
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Just to add a dissenting opinion... There is a long history of humans making knives intended for offense/defense. Most of them are straight and pointy. I don't doubt the story behind the Civilan/Matriarch line but I really don't think it's very practical for defense. I also don't see why a regular hawkbill would be less useful at slashing people.
Anubisman

Post by Anubisman »

As a Law Enforcement guy for 18 years...the reason for the civilian matriarch is markedly different from what most civilians envision a knife for. It's not to stab or forward thrust. It's to rake across an assailants arms torso or legs to force them to let go of you, allowing you access to your firearm or secondary firearm.

In other words it's a defensive designed blade, not an offensive designed blade.

Thanks,

Anubisman.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

My Matriarch 2 will be here tomorrow when I get home from work but the more I watch videos and see pictures the more there is left to be desired. I really hope we see a Matriarch 3 that's FFG, has a full 14mm hole, has jimping on the thumb ramp and is offered in g10 as a production upgrade. I'd be even happier if we could get that "Matriarch 3" in a sprint with CF and M4 or XHP! I really don't understand the smooth thumb ramp and smaller spydie hole though, does anyone know why it's different from the "regular" models?
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Studey

Post by Studey »

Jimping on the thumb ramp isn't needed...this is a knife that is being pulled against, not pushed against, an object. You won't be thrusting or bearing down in a saber grip for fine or delicate work, so there's no need for it. The reverse S and hawkbills are usually used for pull cuts, so it's more important that your hand not pull off the back of the handle, as opposed to riding forward onto the blade.

Regarding the "finer" materials, there really isn't a point. The Matriarch is designed as a smaller, CHEAPER alternative to the Civilian. This is a knife to be used in extremis, not ogled at or doing tons of cutting. I wouldn't mind seeing other scales myself, but that's what people like Boomer are for.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

dubya3 wrote:My Matriarch 2 will be here tomorrow when I get home from work but the more I watch videos and see pictures the more there is left to be desired. I really hope we see a Matriarch 3 that's FFG, has a full 14mm hole, has jimping on the thumb ramp and is offered in g10 as a production upgrade. I'd be even happier if we could get that "Matriarch 3" in a sprint with CF and M4 or XHP! I really don't understand the smooth thumb ramp and smaller spydie hole though, does anyone know why it's different from the "regular" models?
Indeed... I took am looking at the Matriarch, and would have ordered it already if it has G10, etc. But as I understand the history, those added cost refinements are counter to the concept of the Matriarch, i.e. a lower cost, no frills Civilian.

I suspect what we're talking about here isn't so much a Matriarch 3, but rather a Civilian 2... basically updating the Civilian design with recent Spyderco advancements, such as the larger spydie hole, and perhaps a slightly thicker tip, which worked well for the Matriarch 2. Now that is very intriguing.

But you gotta wonder if a Civilian 2 update is worth the trouble for Spyderco, being a fairly niche product.

Dan

dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

DansGunBlog wrote:
dubya3 wrote:My Matriarch 2 will be here tomorrow when I get home from work but the more I watch videos and see pictures the more there is left to be desired. I really hope we see a Matriarch 3 that's FFG, has a full 14mm hole, has jimping on the thumb ramp and is offered in g10 as a production upgrade. I'd be even happier if we could get that "Matriarch 3" in a sprint with CF and M4 or XHP! I really don't understand the smooth thumb ramp and smaller spydie hole though, does anyone know why it's different from the "regular" models?
Indeed... I took am looking at the Matriarch, and would have ordered it already if it has G10, etc. But as I understand the history, those added cost refinements are counter to the concept of the Matriarch, i.e. a lower cost, no frills Civilian.

I suspect what we're talking about here isn't so much a Matriarch 3, but rather a Civilian 2... basically updating the Civilian design with recent Spyderco advancements, such as the larger spydie hole, and perhaps a slightly thicker tip, which worked well for the Matriarch 2. Now that is very intriguing.

But you gotta wonder if a Civilian 2 update is worth the trouble for Spyderco, being a fairly niche product.

Dan
Unfortunately I don't think it'll happen, they aren't bug enough sellers I'd imagine. The no thumb jimping still makes no sense to me, there are plenty advantages to locking your thumb on the ramp for multiple cuts, even pulling cuts. The small hole, well it's opposite of what Id expect. Wouldn't you want the slightly larger hole for easier opening, especially on a 100% self defense knife?
The FRN doesn't bother me, I actually really like it in my user blades but just to have some fun it would be cool to see a sprint with some nicer steels and composites.
Cory

RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

I like the Civilian because it is so very slim and concealable, easy to open with my thumb when held in a forward grip, and reasonably so with a finger if held in the reverse grip. The Civi suits a very specific purpose.

How have I actually used my Civilians? I have not; they are an insurance policy, for two scenarios: defense when in a very confined space, and being able to cut things during an entanglement/dragging emergency. In the latter case, the hooked tip can act as an extension of the hand, to reach out and grab. Only a karambit, of similar size, which can be flipped to the extended position, offers better reach, along with the ability to hook/grab.

For defensive use, yes, a blade that can both cut and thrust is better, which is why a Civilian is a specialized secondary weapon. It being specialized, I do not always have a Civilian with me. It is a second or even third blade, most likely to be carried when going into harm's way.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DansGunBlog wrote:Indeed... I took am looking at the Matriarch, and would have ordered it already if it has G10, etc. But as I understand the history, those added cost refinements are counter to the concept of the Matriarch, i.e. a lower cost, no frills Civilian.
Still, it's theoretically possible, at least as a Sprint.

The G-10 Endura was an Endura 4, and the Matriarch 2 shares the Endura 4 handle. The backspacer would probably need to be modified, just as the FRN one was but, aside from that, it would be a pretty easy Sprint for them to pull off. Spyderco has done Sprints that I'm sure at least some of us viewed as conceptually counter intuitive before. Most have been quite successful, either due to collector interest, user interest, or both. None of that is to say a G-10 Matriarch is going to happen, only that it's not totally unrealistic.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

The Deacon wrote:
DansGunBlog wrote:Indeed... I took am looking at the Matriarch, and would have ordered it already if it has G10, etc. But as I understand the history, those added cost refinements are counter to the concept of the Matriarch, i.e. a lower cost, no frills Civilian.

The G-10 Endura was an Endura 4, and the Matriarch 2 shares the Endura 4 handle. The backspacer would probably need to be modified, just as the FRN one was but, aside from that, it would be a pretty easy Sprint for them to pull off. Spyderco has done Sprints that I'm sure at least some of us viewed as conceptually counter intuitive before. Most have been quite successful, either due to collector interest, user interest, or both. None of that is to say a G-10 Matriarch is going to happen, only that it's not totally unrealistic.
I was just made aware of the Endura/Matriarch handles the other day. When I get my gray Endura in this week I think I'll slap them on my matriarch until I find some nice CF scales for it. I'll post and let anyone that cares know if I have to alter the spacer for the matriarch tip.
Cory

DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

dubya3 wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

I was just made aware of the Endura/Matriarch handles the other day. When I get my gray Endura in this week I think I'll slap them on my matriarch until I find some nice CF scales for it. I'll post and let anyone that cares know if I have to alter the spacer for the matriarch tip.
Great, looking forward to it, please include pics!! :-)

Rapidray

Post by Rapidray »

The secret to these knives is mind set. If you have the mind set, you will be ok. My two...the Civilian I picked up to day and the Matriarch 2 I have carried but may start carry the Civilian.
sal

Post by sal »

We've planning a Civvie 2 for the past few years. Just haven't gotten to it.I'm sure after all of these years there are certainly refinements possible.

I'd like to make it tip up with an Emerson opener like the P'Kal, wider tip, tip up to go with the EO. Probably worth a discussion. Somebody want to start a thread?

sal
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

sal wrote:We've planning a Civvie 2 for the past few years. Just haven't gotten to it.I'm sure after all of these years there are certainly refinements possible.

I'd like to make it tip up with an Emerson opener like the P'Kal, wider tip, tip up to go with the EO. Probably worth a discussion. Somebody want to start a thread?

sal
Hey Sal.

Done - http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=68107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's great, and agreed, should be an interesting discussion.

Have to say I love all the innovation and the real community interaction here. It's a very unique and good thing.

* different thread, but I'm quite intrigued to see what you're planning for the non-speepsfoot JumpMaster - tho the manual grind for @Surfingringo looks really good.

Have an awesome day!
Dan