ebay is the place where the crazy is on display!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

ebay is the place where the crazy is on display!

Post by awa54 »

If I'm interpreting the rules correctly mentioning an auction is OK, just not linking to one (especially if it's still live)... If I got that wrong I apologize and please remove the thread, or I can edit it.

So I saw an auction that still had time left on it for a Jester sprint run (gray G10), anyone care to guess what it had made it to already??

over $200! (and counting) Really?!? Maybe they think it's a Lum Tanto sprint? Same color, sorta the same shape...

I'm glad I got mine while they were still (just barely) available from regular retailers, I paid under $70 shipped IIRC.

Great little knife, but $200+ c'mon, someone needs to have their meds checked! ...maybe I should put mine up for bid? ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
MCM

Re: ebay is the place where the crazy is on display!

Post by MCM »

Gave one to my wife.. Its still in the box........... Hmmmmmmmmmmm.........
No, cant do it. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

That one sure did climb fast.I got mine about a year ago from another forum for $35, mint condition. But no box, I got super lucky on that one,
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Heh...makes me feel real good about my decision grabbing 2 for $100 CDN + shipping a year and a half ago. I'm not planning on selling mine for anything though, and the other was a gift to my mother who as sure as **** wouldn't part with hers lol. They're too useful to part with.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
losinground

Post by losinground »

wow, some people.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Crazy, especially since there's either a blemish on the handle, or a piece of dark lint that stayed in the same spot through all the photos. Still, it happens fairly often on eBay. All it takes are two or more people who "want" something badly enough to act irrationally.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

I've been looking for one for months but the only one I found the guy wants to trade for my PM2 camo/black and I'm not giving a $135 for a $70 one. I told him I'd give $100 but no go.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

dubya3 wrote:I've been looking for one for months but the only one I found the guy wants to trade for my PM2 camo/black and I'm not giving a $135 for a $70 one. I told him I'd give $100 but no go.
I see your point, of course. But I would gladly trade a $135 knife I never used for a $70 knife I really wanted and couldn't find elsewhere. I'm not saying either of these conditions apply to you, here, just a different perspective.

Ken
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

The biggest problem I see with these auctions is that if two folks get into a bidding was (as mentioned above my Deacon) then it sells for way more than fair market value. Then the next person that wants to auction one prices theirs based on the last price.

I've been watching the same knives get re-listed for months now that are priced at 2-3 times what they are worth but the seller won't lower them.
Last edited by hudsonhawk on Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

dubya3 wrote:I found the guy wants to trade for my PM2 camo/black and I'm not giving a $135 for a $70 one.
You are not correct. PM2 is currently available for $135, sometimes for less. Grey Jester was $70 knife, not anymore.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bh49 wrote:You are not correct. PM2 is currently available for $135, sometimes for less. Grey Jester was $70 knife, not anymore.
The Jester Sprint may be one that actually ends up being pretty valuable as a collectible... the current auction seems to me like a fluke, but there aren't any other G10 or Sprint run Jesters and it's an out of production knife that quite a few people seem to admire. Unless there is a return to production, or another Sprint run, this may wind up being the going price for a JGGYP :(
-David

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I recently noticed that there were 2 Brown PM2 auctions going on at the same time. They ended 2 hours apart, one for $136, the other for $188. The titles were virtually the same, both new, the only difference was one was lacking a box. A $52 box!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

tvenuto wrote:I recently noticed that there were 2 Brown PM2 auctions going on at the same time. They ended 2 hours apart, one for $136, the other for $188. The titles were virtually the same, both new, the only difference was one was lacking a box. A $52 box!
Or $52 worth of gung-ho bid to win over-enthusiasm.

I have seen used items that are *not* collectible at all, go for more than retail on ebay and routinely see people bid an item up past available buy-it-now prices for an identical item. Lots of foolishness and more money than sense tactics practiced there regularly.
-David

bh49

Post by bh49 »

awa54 wrote: Jester Sprint may be one that actually ends up being pretty valuable as a collectible.............. Unless there is a return to production, or another Sprint run, this may wind up being the going price for a JGGYP :(
There were pland for sprint run of FRN Jester in (I beleive) 2016
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

hudsonhawk wrote:I've been watching the same knives get roasted for months now that are priced at 2-3 times what they are worth but the seller won't lower them.
Thought of this when I noticed a G10 dragonfly listed for $300 buy it now! Haha 2x MSRP of an knife that's available currently...

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

That's Ebay. I buy and sell knives all the time on Ebay and there is no rhyme or reason to it. Some of the best deals I have ever gotten on knives were on Ebay auctions where no one else bid.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

hudsonhawk wrote: I've been watching the same knives get roasted for months now that are priced at 2-3 times what they are worth but the seller won't lower them.
Possibly seller is not in a rush to sell. But again, how do you know how much does it worth until you sell?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bh49 wrote:Possibly seller is not in a rush to sell. But again, how do you know how much does it worth until you sell?
Motivation is certainly a factor, but a no-reserve auction is a great way to explore that. Obviously it's not a perfect method, but it's no coincidence every standard PM2 auction ends between $95-$120.

In real estate, they use comparable properties, and that's a well-accepted method even though every property is unique in some way. Barring condition, production knives are as close to identical as you can expect a tradeable good to get.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

There have been so many of the over-priced non-selling knives lately, I've been forced to consider the paranoid theory that some people may price a few totally out of sight high (maybe in a different account?) and have some more just moderately overpriced, hoping buyers will see the former high prices and conclude that the latter are a good deal.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

DougC-3 wrote:There have been so many of the over-priced non-selling knives lately, I've been forced to consider the paranoid theory that some people may price a few totally out of sight high (maybe in a different account?) and have some more just moderately overpriced, hoping buyers will see the former high prices and conclude that the latter are a good deal.
Of cause, this is possible.
But can be different options as well.
A friend of mine few years ago sold his collection. In the middle of sale somebody on BF gave him advise: if a knife rare, put a it on e-bay with only option BIN for 30 days at any price you can imagine. Sooner or later somebody will buy this knife. He sold many knives at the prices, which shocked me. And quite a few of them were purchased by serious grown-up people (they were shipped to their business addresses). I guess that some people have more money than others :rolleyes: .
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian