When to go clipless

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

When to go clipless

Post by tvenuto »

I have been thinking about starting this thread, and coincidentally another member just mentioned that he discovered he liked carrying his D'fly better clipless in the pocket. I wear gym shorts most of the summer, and depending on the model, clipping it to your pocket just doesn't work all that well. So I ask: which designs do you carry clipless?

My recent revelation has to do with my Southard. I noticed that my Southard was enduring the injustice of not being carried much at all, although I really like the design. I was playing with it one day, and decided that the clip was annoying me, and I wanted to see what it'd be like without it. I took off the clip, and just slipped it in my pocket along with my wallet when I went out. Due to it's long and thin form factor, it stayed next to my wallet without moving around too much, and I think this method would work equally well with jeans. I've been carrying the Southard much more because of it, and it's almost like getting a new knife! I ask again: which designs have you found to work better for you clipless?
Nate

Re: When to go clipless

Post by Nate »

I don't have a great rationale, but for some reason I prefer to go clipless with my Forum Native, both for carry and use. It's the only folder that I've more or less permanently removed the clip from.
:spyder:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've been carrying a Ladybug in my watch pocket everyday for a while, and it works great. But for anything larger, or carried in a larger pocket, I never carry clipless.
:bug-red-white
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I've been pocket carrying a Kahr Arms Delica 4 lately and still haven't decided if I like it. I usually keep my phone and knife in the same pocket, so I tend to prefer having the knife clipped to my pocket opposed to fishing around in my pocket for it.
-Nick :bug-red
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I never go clipless, except for a Victorinox alox Minichamp in the coin pocket these days.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I carry my SB manbug almost every day, usually in shirt pocket but sometimes in watch pocket. Not sure if this counts as the MB is clipless to begin with.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

My Chaparral and Dodo are carried clip less in the bottom of an otherwise empty pocket, or in the watch pocket of my jeans.

My Sketchen scaled smooth black micarta Military is carried clip less in my back pocket next to my wallet, as the clip, with super smooth scales, just doesn't hold tight to the pocket.
Matt
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For gym shorts, I clip in waste band. I never go clipless. I think the only knives I carry that don't have clips are my Ladybugs and they ride on my keys.
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

I go clipless at work now as they have a "no knives but the safety knives we give you" policy. I carry a Salt 1 clipless in my right front pocket. It's so slim and light that I forget it's there most of the time!

I actually prefer carrying this way as I've caught clips on ladders and shelves and had my knives yanked out before at work.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I never carry clipless. I would however, very much like to experiment with doing neck carry with the new CF/G10 Dogtag. I've always been interested in the dog tag just never had the money. I may be able to squeeze in the CF/G10 version though because it has a $30 price drop :D I think they're $54.95 on KC. I personally don't have a reason to carry clipless. I generally have a whole bunch of other junkmy pockets anyway.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Just for the record, in a lot of states certain blade lengths become illegal when they go from clipped (visible) to concealed ( in pocket )... I think in Cali here it's 2 inches.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Depends on the knife and the pockets. Some pants do not retain their contents well except when standing. Test it out. Better safe than sorry.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Jagged77

Post by Jagged77 »

I carry an Urban Lightweight clip less and it usually rides in my jeans watch / coin pocket. Totally invisible in the office but secure and always on hand. I've just picked up a Techno and will carry the same way depending on which pants I'm wearing. I also invariable carry a ladybug hawkbill loose in my front pocket, I admit though I lost one carrying thus way so had to replace...
harronek

Post by harronek »

IMO

Just like very few women should to go bra less in public , very few Spyderco's should go clip less .

Ken
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry a Ladyhawk, a Clipitool, a Balance and a Cricket all clipless in my watch pocket when wearing jeans.

When wearing gym shorts, which I also live in all summer, I clip a Para2 or a Delica IWB. I have jogged many, many miles like this without an issue and just keep the same setup going when just lounging in the same attire. I actually bum around the house in sweats a lot and just carry a Para2 or Military IWB then too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sometimes I carry Native5 or Memory clipless, when I am in the office.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I don't think I can even consider my Ladybug "clipless", since it's more or less clipped to my key chain. Other than that, I prefer all my knives firmly secured to a pocket. I only have one clipless knife, a Schrade...Firebird I think? I dunno, I got it for free, not even in a package or box. It just hangs out in my car in case the unthinkable should happen and I forget a knife for the day.

When a clip on the pocket becomes a problem, the knife goes IWB. It would probably help in the gym shorts situation, since it won't be swinging around in or on your pocket. The downside is increased contact with sweat.
SpidieGrizz

Post by SpidieGrizz »

I have been accustomed to carrying all my spyderco's clipped, but as soon as I got the Gayle Bradley Air, I simply started carrying that knife all of the times I do not want to be seen with a knife clipped to my pants. Thus, I never have to go without a spyderco. In a pair of dress slacks, the Air sits nicely under my wallet and does not print. It is very light and stays where it needs to be without being noticed.
Domino 204P - Yojimbo 2 S90V - Yojimbo (blue and black)- Tuff- Gayle Bradley - Gayle Bradley Air - Leafstorm - Manix 2 S110V - Manix 2 S30V Black - PM2 S30V - Pacific Salt Black - Squarehead - Swick 3 - Swick 4
Sleeping Dog

Post by Sleeping Dog »

I carry my stainless Delica in my suit pants, only knife I have permanently removed the clip from. I bent the clip badly getting out of the car once, took off the damaged one, ordered a replacement from Spyderco but never felt like putting a clip back on.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I've never used a clip, I think I'd be in danger of snagging the knife when pulling other things out of the pocket. However I do have one Spyderco which came with a clip, so might try re-fitting that and giving it a go.
---------
Tony S