Is a Spyderco Worth it's weight in Gold?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dr. Snubnose

Is a Spyderco Worth it's weight in Gold?

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Been a long time since I visited this forum and made comments, suggestions, added input, and kinda nagged the **** out of Sal on this here forum (thank god cause I see we finally have a Pikal RGEI Knife in the "Reverse" we can be proud of.. Thanks Sal!!!)....Mostly because I fell on hard or harsh unexpected times to included financial difficulties and I felt I wasn't able to contribute to the forum like i did in the past. . I was forced to sell most of my knife collection, which included over 400 Spydercos dating back since the beginning of Spyderco time and some 3,000 Plus other bladed weapons in my collection, just to survive. I can't even begin to tell you how hard it was to part with certain models, some customs and some even engraved with my name or monograms on the blade.....but it had to be done.....I did manage to keep about 40 knives in my collection to this day...just a few are spyderco's and you can probably guess which ones they where....if you don't and really want to know I'll I'd be happy to share....bottom line is this....is that Spyderco in your pocket really worth the money you paid?.....The answer is yes...and if you hold onto that baby...used or not....it's a Spyderco... and it retains not only it's value... but then some.....Thank you Spyderco for making me a wise investor.......:) Doc
Liquid Cobra

Re: Is a Spyderco Worth it's weight in Gold?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sorry to hear about your troubles, hopefully things are looking better for you. I've heard of you mentioned on the forums before. Let me be the first to say welcome back. Yes, my Spyderco knives are worth the money I paid. My collection is small, but I've managed to thin the herd to the knives that really speak to me. Why, just today I bought myself a Slysz Bowie. An expensive knife to be sure, but it's worth every penny. Spyderco makes great knives but it's their ethics and values that keep me coming back for more.

By the way, I would love to hear what knives you chose to keep out of such a large collection. I can't help but wonder if I have any that match what you've got left.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome back, sorry to hear about the hard times. I've ofren thought of the possibility of recouping my investment in knives should one fall on hard times, it's good to hear that it's possible.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:...Thank you Spyderco for making me a wise investor.......:) Doc
It's a shame you had to cash in on that investment, especially one that size! I hope things are better now, but even if they aren't I hope you stick around. You probably have more Spyder wisdom to share than most, and you don't need to own the knife to talk about it, or share a story or a photo, or give your opinions. And there's no better place to distract and lose yourself than here, especially when it comes time to start rebuilding that collection! ;)

Oh and I actually did price a Spyderco, and while it's not quite at gold's level yet, $1060/lb. is nothing to sneeze at. Plus it was a heavier knife (the Foundry), and if you priced up a lighter and more expensive knife you can probably get even higher.
And that phone number should actually be 3308. Feel free to prank call it.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

Sorry for your hard times and thanx much for the kind words. Glad that our products were able to hold their value for you. We try hard to put the value into the designs.

Actually, the "Reverse" was the work of Michael Janich and Craig Douglas.

BTW, we always enjoy the input of those that have interest in what we do, whether they are buying or not.

sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Welcome back Doc. I was just wondering this past week where you went off to. Always valued your input and comments. Sorry to hear about the hard times.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Welcome back! I've definitely missed your input.
I know how hard it is to sell off a beloved collection. I had to sell most of my treasured gun collection several years ago to get through a hard time. I've since replaced most of them, but there are still some I miss. Anyway, it's good to see you back!
:bug-red-white
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

sal wrote:Hi Doc,

Sorry for your hard times and thanx much for the kind words. Glad that our products were able to hold their value for you. We try hard to put the value into the designs.

Actually, the "Reverse" was the work of Michael Janich and Craig Douglas.

BTW, we always enjoy the input of those that have interest in what we do, whether they are buying or not.

sal
Thanks Sal...and Yes... Thanks to you Michael and Craig for a great design.....Doc:)
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Sorry to hear about your tough times. I am glad you made it through. I once sold most of my Spydercos years ago and of all the knives I owned they all had gone up in value. The only other knife I owned that I have never done poorly on in resale was MAD DOGs. Spydercos really do hold there value or go up.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Glad to see you posting again Dr. I hope the bad times are past and it's all bright in the future.

I am also glad your Spyderco 'investment' paid off for you, albeit in a different way than a knife generally does. :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Welcome back! Times must have been rough on you if you were put in such a situation... I hope the future will hold brighter news and your collection will grow once more!

I've often thought about the collection being a safety net of some sorts, but I hope I'll never have to use it as one. But stil, it's good to see that it works and it'll be there when/if needed.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Doc,

I am very sorry to hear about your hard times. I am glad that they are already behind you and I am very glad to see you back. I missed you a lot.
Roman
paladin

Post by paladin »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:.....I did manage to keep about 40 knives in my collection to this day... Doc
Glad to see you were able to keep enough for you daily EDC needs... :p

The pics of your pocket dumps are EPIC Doc, and they still haunt my dreams! Glad you're back!!! :)
v8r

Post by v8r »

Doc I am glad you are back, and hope things are on the upturn for you. You have been missed around here. I take it you have the new Reverse? Do you think we could get a meat test?;)
I had to sell a lot of my Spydies a few years back as well. Honestly I had a lot of knives that I didn't use, and needed the money, so I sold them. I think it's honarable that you chose to sell off some things to help support yourself and family. Anyways....Good to have you back !
Ps hope you didn't have to sell your Chinook 2.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Glad you are back. I had wondered where you went as I came here about the time you left. I have read many of your threads and thought you were a superb poster. Sorry about the challenges, but really they are just "opportunities" that allow us to reset priorities and appreciate our blessings. Tough times do not last, tough people do
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's great seeing you back again Doc. I often wondered how you were doing and figured something had to be taking up your time. Everybody has to go through up's and downs in their lives. It just can't be avoided. Enduring is all we can do at times. I try to figure how lucky I am even during the worst times. I was in the hospital the other day myself and like every other time I've been there I see people from the beginning to the end stages of life. We all have an end like we have a beginning. We all leave a legacy of some kind behind. That is what I try to focus on. What am I going to be remembered for?

From my son's standpoint too much stuff he has to get rid of. :)

Good luck.

Joe
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

No actually I don't have the "Reverse" That said I did handle one for a few hours.....didn't do any meat tests as it was not mine, but it's on my bucket list for sure....It is nicely designed and was very easy to manipulate....Don't know if I'd ever use the knife RGEO....but for RGEI ...perfect....I will probably create some kinda of palm swell to the handle for better grip, other than that I'd say the knife is good to go out of the box...... Ok LiquidCobra....This is what I have left of Spydercos. I know you are all thinking ok... Yojimbo 1.....ouch sold it....Ok I have 1.) Black FRN CE Ladybug (it's a constant EDC...sits in my watch pocket of my jeans always) FWIW: The Wife has my Red FRN CE Ladybug from the late 80's. 2) Ronin (of course)The wife got a NIB one she's not parting with lol 3) V8r...you'll be happy to know I have my Chinook II.....constant edc left front pocket.....first off the knife is a monster and I'm a James Keating Fan....and too fond of the Bowie Design to part with it....4) I have an old Delica FRN SE from the Late 80's, ( was my father's first spyderco, (I ran into a FBI Agent on a plane who had the same knife and said the agency was issuing them back then...we compared knives on the airplane....(Pre 9-11)..... Sent the knife off with my son to College...then Law School before getting it back...It's in fair condition....but I can't part with as it has my fathers, mine and my son's name engraved on the blade. 5) Waved Endura....(just think this knife is combat correct). I must say it was very hard to part with many of my Spydercos. The one's that hurt the most to let go of were.......A Vesuvius CE, Ayoob Black Micarta SE, Rock Salt H1, Yojimbo1, and the Large Calypso in Black Micarta....there were many more but these actually hurt physically to part with........thanks everyone for the kind words and thoughts and twinboysdad....I like the way you think!.....Doc:)
Last edited by Dr. Snubnose on Sun May 31, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Howdy Joe....Nice to see you......thanks...Doc:)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've learned over the years that there isn't one single material possession I can't live without and everything has a price. It's hard but sometimes sentiments can make these decisions even harder. Family, health, friends and happiness will always be more important than knives and hobbies. It's unfortunate to have to part with them but I like to think that when I do it's always because the reason is more important than the thing I'm parting with.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Good to see you back doc. Was wondering where you had gone