Mid-Year Supplement Discussion Thread....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skywarp

Re: Mid-Year Supplement Discussion Thread....

Post by Skywarp »

Cheers RadioactiveSpyder!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

You're very welcome!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
xinam

Post by xinam »

I noticed that the hap40 is clad in sus410, not j2... I'm curious if this will reduce the scratching?

I think I would like the set since I dont have and delica and love the endura.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

xinam wrote:I noticed that the hap40 is clad in sus410, not j2... I'm curious if this will reduce the scratching?
It will likely scratch even easier. Discussion here: http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=67777
Art_vandeley

Post by Art_vandeley »

I`m just dissapointed that they decided to keep the screws on the Myrtle visible. Those screws on the front ruin that knife for me. Spyderco should have hidden at least 2 of them to show off the nice scale.I understand why its done the way it is but that means there will be no Spyderco Myrtle for me.

Other than that I`ll probably get the Positron if they have trimmed the scales a bit. I didn`t like the fatness of the prototype.
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

Was hoping the Nirvana would be in this run but the Bradley 2 is a must.
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Art_vandeley wrote:I`m just dissapointed that they decided to keep the screws on the Myrtle visible. Those screws on the front ruin that knife for me. Spyderco should have hidden at least 2 of them to show off the nice scale.I understand why its done the way it is but that means there will be no Spyderco Myrtle for me.

Other than that I`ll probably get the Positron if they have trimmed the scales a bit. I didn`t like the fatness of the prototype.
Interesting thought on the Myrtle scales. I believe in a previous thread someone suggested the screws should be black and mocked up an image that looked great. I really want to see this one in person before making too strong a comment either way.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Art_vandeley wrote:Other than that I`ll probably get the Positron if they have trimmed the scales a bit. I didn`t like the fatness of the prototype.
Caught my attention. I'm sick of knives with thin handles ... and my favorite gentleman's folder was stolen in April in a burglary. I'll be taking a look at this one.

Gordon
swigert

Post by swigert »

KW has a price of 160 up for the sprig. Nice!!!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

KW also has the Mamba up for pre-order @ $290, going to have to think about that one. also the Myrtle @ $190...ish
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
swigert

Post by swigert »

Mamba won't be for me. Looks more than price though. Excited for those of you that love the looks of knives like the mamba. Will be a great one!
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Pricing on both the Sprig and GB 2 have caught my attention. Both coming in at street prices below what I expected.
Last edited by ohcyclist on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

hoping the gb2 and the jade m4 para 2 drop soon. all these pre orders got me excited. :D :spyder:
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

There's no mention here of the Native 5 LW S110V. Am I correct to take this to mean that we shouldn't expect it until 2016, or might they sneak it in? Looking at the other threads regarding this knife, it seemed that its release was imminent.

I guess another way to frame the question, when Sal and company introduced the Manix 2 LW S110V, did that come out of the blue or was it teased first in the catalog/mid-year supplement?
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I was in for mamba, but the 500€+ pricetag makes this knife unobtainable for me. :(
handyman

Post by handyman »

The Positron was the one that had me drooling.
For some reason I love that blade shape!
Waiting for my Vallotton to arrive on Monday.
Glad my shows are TV are all on Sunday, that will help the time go by.
Any stropping advice for the Vallotton would be a huge help, just message me.

Jason (newbie) no other spydies yet.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

wrdwrght wrote:GB2, and maybe the HAP40 sprint (I actually don't have a Delica). With PM2 exclusives and a visit to Golden both on the horizon, I've got to rein it in.

EDITED TO ADD: I see over on Cliff Stamp's own forum that he takes a dim view of Spyderco offering HAP40 without proper justification. Apparently, Spyderco formerly gave data showing why the steel it offered was good for knives. He thinks that Spyderco is now starting to let market hype (plus its own limited testing capabilities) determine what steels it should offer customers. The implication is not friendly. Perhaps Cliff will chime in here, so we can all understand what his reservations are about HAP40.
It's not just Spyderco, it's the nature of the industry. But yes, Cliff is right that it's marketing fraud. HAP 40 is just another vanadium based tool steel that will probably 'perform' exactly like other high-brow tool steels, the only difference being that it's now in the Endura.

All were doing here is burning our disposable income on dressed up frivolities. I love my zdp-189 Endura but I have no illusions about what's going on. Spyderco does deserve praise for retaining a sense of dignity though and not going "full retard" like Zero Tolerance.
swigert

Post by swigert »

can't freehand wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:GB2, and maybe the HAP40 sprint (I actually don't have a Delica). With PM2 exclusives and a visit to Golden both on the horizon, I've got to rein it in.

EDITED TO ADD: I see over on Cliff Stamp's own forum that he takes a dim view of Spyderco offering HAP40 without proper justification. Apparently, Spyderco formerly gave data showing why the steel it offered was good for knives. He thinks that Spyderco is now starting to let market hype (plus its own limited testing capabilities) determine what steels it should offer customers. The implication is not friendly. Perhaps Cliff will chime in here, so we can all understand what his reservations are about HAP40.
It's not just Spyderco, it's the nature of the industry. But yes, Cliff is right that it's marketing fraud. HAP 40 is just another vanadium based tool steel that will probably 'perform' exactly like other high-brow tool steels, the only difference being that it's now in the Endura.

All were doing here is burning our disposable income on dressed up frivolities. I love my zdp-189 Endura but I have no illusions about what's going on. Spyderco does deserve praise for retaining a sense of dignity though and not going "full retard" like Zero Tolerance.
I think an edit is due in your last line here. Shiny Footprints and all.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Think I need to get one of those SE native 5 lightweights. I think it's the first full SE blade in S35VN
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Nice lineup, but I'm still anxiously awaiting the re-release of the Aqua Salt.