Official Thread Regarding Upcoming Endura/Delica/Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ohcyclist

Re: Official Thread Regarding Upcoming Endura/Delica/Stretch

Post by ohcyclist »

Blue sounds like a nice way to go. It has been awhile since there was a g10 delica. Curious how large the run will be. How difficult to hunt down will these be?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

ohcyclist wrote:Blue sounds like a nice way to go. It has been awhile since there was a g10 delica. Curious how large the run will be. How difficult to hunt down will these be?
I don't think it'll be too hard if you're ready to buy in the first two or three weeks and fairly persistent and vigilant, just guessing. My experience has been that sprints don't usually all come out in one batch but are produced and shipped in smaller batches. So don't panic if the first batch quickly dries up. Of course this could change, and I'm probably thinking more of Golden-made sprints--I really don't remember exactly how it worked with the Super Blue FRN Endura and Dragonfly, which are the only Japanese sprints I've bought.

Of course the Super Blue series was 1200 of each type, so they lasted a pretty good while. The spydiewiki doesn't have any info about the number of foliage green G-10 Delicas and Enduras that were made, but they sure are scarce now. I'd bet it was less than 1200.

Has Spyderco made anything in burnt orange FRN before? I'd sure like to see a picture if they have. Google images doesn't distinguish between orange and burnt orange, and a lot depends on exposure and lighting in the pics.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm bumping this thread because these exciting new sprints are not getting enough ink. Wake up guys, you don't want to miss out on the burnt orange HAP40! ;) ... unless you're trying to keep it quiet to insure that they aren't all snapped up before you get one :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Nice official bump. :)
Going back to Caly.
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

I would like to have a G10 Delica, as I prefer the feel of G10 to FRN. I don't understand why this should be so difficult - the Kershaw Skyline has a G10 handle, yet is cheaper and lighter than the Delica. Yes, I know the Skyline's steel is cheaper, but there must be more to it than that.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Will Rogers wrote:I would like to have a G10 Delica, as I prefer the feel of G10 to FRN. I don't understand why this should be so difficult - the Kershaw Skyline has a G10 handle, yet is cheaper and lighter than the Delica. Yes, I know the Skyline's steel is cheaper, but there must be more to it than that.
It's not difficult, but spyderco does offer many G10 models. I actually think the FRN delica is superior to the G10 version, and I've owned both. They are coming out with a G10 sprint run fairly soon, but if price is a major concern then it might not be your cup of tea, as it'll most certainly be more expensive than the current FRN production offerings.
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

Thanks for your reply. Actually, cost isn't really my main concern - if it were, I should quit hanging around on knife forums looking for more knives to buy. My real question is why Spyderco previously released a G10 version of the Delica (now discontinued) that weighed 3/4 of an ounce more than the FRN version. While I prefer G10, I don't prefer it enough to buy a 3.25 ounce version of the same knife.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Mastiff wrote:The ZDP mules had trouble because the steel composition was off. The recommended heat treat therefore didn't produce expected results as best as I can recall.

SG2 I have tried in a few knives. It seems to have a bit less abrasive wear than S30V but when done the way the competitor company treated it was fine grained and took to thin edges and fairly high grits. After that they begab using it in their kitchen line. It was nice to sharpen.

HAP 40 I have no experience with but in the high wear high speed steels I like steels heat treated for wear resistance and am more than willing to give up a bit of corrosion resistance and even toughness. On pocket sized folder knives anyway. A fixed blade, especially a competition knife would be different. HAP 40 looks interesting. I'll like it wherever it's hardened on the RC scale and haven't felt let down by Spydercos selections on heat treat yet.

Joe
I think you are right, Joe. The reported hardness was 67+.

I broke one of the over-hardened ZDP Mules while inserting pins for some Maple Burl scales. Wasn't even pushing it aggressively - it just went PING! and snapped right across the tang. I went ahead and glued it up and the scales held it together, but it sits on a shelf these days...

TedP