Gotta say it one more time

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Gotta say it one more time

Post by twinboysdad »

I carry lots of different PE primary Spydies. Mostly my Caly 3.5 but several others too. That said I throw all the tougher plastic and tougher media at my Ladybug Hawkbill H1 and it simply laughs and keeps cutting. I simply love it. I had one and lost it (members here offered to give me theirs'...too cool) but I ordered a new one from CS as soon as I realized my loss. Easy to sharpen with the SM too. Most days I could get by with the LBHB as a stand alone. Muy excellente! Just got to say if you have not tried one, you just have to buy one and use the fire out of it. P4P the best Spyderco of all time
SpyderNut

Re: Gotta say it one more time

Post by SpyderNut »

I haven’t tried EDC'ing my LB Hawkbills, but maybe I should give it a try. I do, however, use the snot out of my standard SE Ladybug and it simply slices through whatever I toss at it and asks for more. ;)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I climbed on board the SE hawkbill bandwagon recently as well with the USN release, but I graduated up to a Lil Matriarch instead. You can see the SE Ladybug profile in the tip of this knife but then you get SO much more added benefit behind it! Here's my modded one with my SB Caly 3.5. Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Hi, Radioactive, very nice mod. It seems more useful for everyday purposes without the extreme curve on the blade tip. Are those foliage green scales from a Delica?

As for Ladyhawks, etc, I think this thread needs more pictures ;) I can't oblige because I don't have any hawkbills except a Byrd I got just to try one out to see if I had any need for it, from Rakuten for about $1.78 after a Superpoint discount, ha ha -- my only Byrd.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I climbed on board the SE hawkbill bandwagon recently as well with the USN release, but I graduated up to a Lil Matriarch instead. You can see the SE Ladybug profile in the tip of this knife but then you get SO much more added benefit behind it! Here's my modded one with my SB Caly 3.5. Cheers, Radioactive :)

This exactly. ^ It makes me kind of sad since I feel many (myself included) are just waking up to what a great edc design this is...now that it has been discontinued. :(
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is a great design. The reason I think it gets ignored as an EDC knife is that hawkbills are illegal in a lot of places. They are ranked with other highly dangerous designs such as switch blades and gravity knives. I had a run-in with the law many years ago over this very issue. Hawkbills were and are illegal in that city and State. What saved me was the fact that I was actually employed doing house remodeling and so it was a necessary tool. Where I live now, this is a go straight to jail and do not pass Go kind of a knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I believe the reason the lil Matriarch was so often overlooked as an edc is because it was marketed and viewed as a smaller version of the Matriarch. I think folks never really considered it for edc and most who were looking for an actual SD knife opted for the larger more extreme variant. Just my guess.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine was seeing quite a lot of use before getting my SE/H1 Dfly. I'm still dreaming of a hawkbill Dfly.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

DougC-3 wrote:Hi, Radioactive, very nice mod. It seems more useful for everyday purposes without the extreme curve on the blade tip. Are those foliage green scales from a Delica?

As for Ladyhawks, etc, I think this thread needs more pictures ;) I can't oblige because I don't have any hawkbills except a Byrd I got just to try one out to see if I had any need for it, from Rakuten for about $1.78 after a Superpoint discount, ha ha -- my only Byrd.
Hi Doug, yup that's a blade/lockbar swap with a G10 Delica. It has a very solid feel to it and David, I think I prefer the little extra grip on the Delica size handle versus a possible Dfly version. I could stand to be without a 50/50 choil on it given I'd like to keep my fingers away from that mean-a$$ blade as much as possible ;)! To me it's just a better knife in its G10/SS liner form vs the FRN, it gives me a lot of confidence. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
greatscott

Post by greatscott »

I EDC'd a Harpy for the longest time and the LBHB looks pretty sweet. I will probably pick one up.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I honestly don't know how much a larger hawkbill interest me. It is the size, steel, and serrations on this guy that just create more utility than should be possible on a knife this small