My Complete Collection - One a Day

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Re: My Complete Collection - One a Day

Post by gbelleh »

Next was another Para 2. This is another one I almost didn't order when it was released. But I'm glad I did. I like the brown color, and S35VN is just fine for me.

Knife # 134 - June 2012.
:bug-red-white
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I got this Centofante Memory. I really liked the size, blade shape, and the simplicity of the design. But, the blue color and glass fiber were a little too flashy for me. I'm not usually a modder, but eventually I got out the Dremel and buffed off the blue color and lightly stonewashed the clip and titanium parts. It was easier than I expected, and I really like the way it turned out. The bare titanium is much more my style, but I'd still like to make a replacement overlay in a nice wood to give it an even more subtle look. The tip-down only was also a bit of a bummer for me at first, but the detent is nice and strong on this knife, so it hasn't been an issue. Overall I really like this knife, especially after the mods. Maybe I'll get around to making a new overlay soon...

Knife # 135 - July 2012.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I decided to give the Techno a try. I wasn't too interested in this knife because it seemed kind of ridiculous to me. A short, stubby pry bar that surely wouldn't slice well, didn't look comfortable to hold, and looked like it would be heavy and chunky in the pocket. But once it came out of the box, I was absolutely amazed by the build quality, fit and finish, and the ergos. Taichung stepped up to a new level of quality with his knife, which seemed every bit as solid, precise, and beautifully finished as the CRKs I'd recently gotten. But when I saw how easily it zipped right through a stack of cardboard boxes, the Techno immediately became one of my favorite knives (and still is).

Knife # 136 - July 2012.

I liked the blue backspacer much more in person too.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Techno took some time to grow on me but it's now one I would never part with.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I found this foliage green G-10, leaf blade Urban still in stock at an online retailer for a good price. I liked the orange version a lot, and it's nice to have a leaf blade option too. The G-10 Urban is a very handy, capable, and secure little slipit with exceptional lockup.

Knife # 137 - July 2012.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next was the Tuff, which I probably wouldn't have gotten if it weren't an Ed Schempp design. The dimpled treatment was/is one of the ugliest texture patterns I've seen, IMO. But, after receiving it and carrying it for a while, I can appreciate the benefits of the design. Overall, the Tuff is a bit big, wide and heavy in the pocket for me to regularly carry, and the ergos don't quite fit my hand as well as most Schempp designs. But it is a unique and appreciated part of my Schempp Spydie collection, and I'm glad to have it.

Knife # 138 - July 2012.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

After getting (and trading away) the Nishijin Lum Chinese, I knew I liked the Lum Chinese design, but not Nishijin as a scale material. So I bought this NIB foliage green Lum Chinese from one of the BST forums. I like this one a lot.

Knife # 139 - July 2012.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next, after almost a year of waiting on pre-order, I finally received a Yojimbo 2. I like the Yo 2 a lot, and have used this one quite a bit. I even put a big chip in the blade trying to cut some fiber optic cable (I didn't realize fiber optic could be so tough). But the Yo 2 has never quite made it into the regular EDC lineup yet.

Knife # 140 - August 2012.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I received this blue FRCP Manix 2 Lightweight as a prize for the calendar contest. A generous prize that I've enjoyed very much! The CTS-BD1 steel has been good for my daily uses, and this one operates very smoothly. It's pretty amazing to have such a large and capable knife in a 3 oz package.

Knife # 141 - August 2012.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I got this carbon fiber Kiwi. I had been looking for an original CF Kiwi ever since getting the CF Kopa, so I grabbed this NIB one when it showed up for sale. I really like the design, and the fit and finish of the original Kiwi is very nice.

Knife # 142 - August 2012.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I got this CF ZDP-189 Caly 3.5. The CF ZDP Caly 3 was one of my first Spydies, and the 3.5 version had been on my list for a while. So I grabbed this one when it went on sale at one of the online dealers. This one came clean and smooth out of the box.

Knife # 143 - August 2012.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I knew I wanted to remove the blue anodizing from my Centofante Memory, so when they went on sale for a great price, I went ahead and bought this second one to keep original.

Knife # 144 - September 2012.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next I got this Bradley Air. I was a bit disappointed to not have a clip option, but thanks to the generosity of forum member toomzz, I now have this very nice custom made pouch for the Air. The Air is a handy little knife, with the usual excellent quality from Taichung. When I need to pocket carry, this is the first choice. Thanks again toomzz!

Knife # 145 - September 2012.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next was this Chaparral 2, the "Stealth" Chaparral. Its facets are reminiscent of the F117 Stealth Fighter.

Much like the Chap 1, this titanium version is small, thin and lightweight, but is capable enough to handle most tasks. It makes a very nice EDC.

Knife # 146 - October 2012.

Donut

Post by Donut »

Chap 2 is a really sweet knife.

Some Fiber Optic cable is made from glass! I imagine plastic would have to be pretty hard to transmit light well. I love my Yo 2's. :)

One of my earlier knives was the Caly 3 in G-10. The Carbon Fiber 3 hasn't been very high on my "must have" list, I traded one a while back and went without one. I have a CF 3.5 and eventually traded for another Caly 3 in CF.

I've been putting off getting an Air, but I need to get one eventually.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Love the chaparral stealth! I overpaid because I preordered for no reason at all, and I still think it was well worth the money. Love it as a small gents folder for when I'm dressing up, but as you said can handle all the tasks all the time. This one taught me not to preorder production spydercos.
swigert

Post by swigert »

tvenuto wrote: This one taught me not to preorder production spydercos.
Wisdom right here.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I ordered this CF Damascus Caly 3 about three months earlier, but it had just gone out of stock, so I had to wait a while for it. I really liked the smooth, screw-free bolsters. But this style of Damascus isn't my favorite, and this knife wasn't getting the appreciation it deserves. So I recently sold it to someone who was really glad to receive it.

Knife # 147 - October 2012.
greatscott

Post by greatscott »

That is a nice holster for the "Air". It looks like a Thors Hammer Custom.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next was this CF Dodo sprint. I really like the finish of the solid carbon fiber scales on this one. Sort of semi-polished. Not too smooth or slick, and they look very nice. The white ceramic ball is very interesting looking too.

Knife # 148 - November 2012.