Who's getting the new mule?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Nate

Re: Who's getting the new mule?

Post by Nate »

jackknifeh wrote: Do the mule's come sharp like a "normal" Spyderco?

Jack
Yes.
:spyder:
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Nate wrote:Image

I have done a lot of cutting with the B70P. A few months ago I started cutting up my cardboard for compost instead of recycling it. In the pic, the pile on the floor is 100 "chips," so as a very rough estimate filling a 5 gallon bucket is a couple thousand cuts. The mule is very nice for this work and the steel has held up very well in my estimation. I am sure the geometry helps, and I should note the shaving edge is long gone, but it will still cut cardboard and slice paper. It feels like it could go on like this somewhat indefinitely, but I plan to reprofile and sharpen soon anyway.

The mule is profiled in the new Spyderbyte and I thought the comparison to Cruwear was interesting:

"...you’ll find that B70P’s closest cousin is Cru-Wear®—a very highly regarded Crucible® steel that provides higher wear resistance than D2 and greater toughness than M2 high speed steel. Although B70P does not include Cru-Wear’s tungsten and has less vanadium, it has nearly twice the chromium content (making it a true stainless steel) and adds niobium, manganese, and silicon."
I read that then I compared the composition of Cru-wear and B70P and i don't see a correlation at all. Wonder where they saw it and what makes that correlation so.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Bodog,

I have the same question. My earlier post got cut short due to a rampaging 2yr old, but reading through this thread and looking at the composition had me thinking that B70P might be described as somewhere between XHP and BG-42 (B75P,) with Niobium added. I was surprised to see it compared to Cruwear.

At any rate, I have been happy with what I have seen so far. I'm not able to draw any meaningful conclusions beyond that at this point, but I have an excuse to do many times the amount of cutting I would ever do with typical edc use now. It will be interesting to see if I am able to pick up on any trends or strong observations over time.
kelpie

Post by kelpie »

Bump. - spent the last couple of hours trying to find user info about b70p, didn't find much but this thread was interesting so rather than start a new one I figured I'd ask the question here. Anybody got any good or bad feedback on this Mule team? thoughts on why it is still available??? i feel that Bodogs' comments around marketing may have been prophetic, I couldn't find any negative feedback, some very good initial feedback and disinterest.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I have a b70p mule kicking around my kitchen alongside 4v, cruwear, rwl, 20cv, lc200n.
It's a decent but unspectacular steel. It has not stained. Sharpens ok. But doesn't get a fine edge like the 4v. And needs sharpening a little more often than the others. It's just a little outshined by the others.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have two of the B70P mules now and agree with Sal:
sal wrote:B70P is a very nice steel. A nice combination of elements that balance well and perform well.

sal