GoldenSpydie's every-other-day collection overview and pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Re: GoldenSpydie's one-a-day collection overview and pictures

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks Peter and Johnnie.

Today I am featuring the Paramilitary 2 Moteng exclusive in S35VN and brown G10.

This was my second PM2, and it is one of my favorites, because I love the color and the edge is nice and thin. Brown looks good with just about everything in nature, and so, along with the 204P model, this is my outdoor PM2. It has been on plenty of trips, and yet the blade shows very little wear. I was glad to be able to pick this one up for a good price from a reputable dealer just before they went out of stock; AFAIK, they are only on the secondary market now, at increased prices.

bh49

Post by bh49 »

GS,
Great pictures and impressive collection.
And most important thank you for keeping this thread up
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Interesting that you and gbelleh would reach the brown PM2 sprint within a day of each other. I'm really enjoying both threads.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
GoldenSpydie

Re: GoldenSpydie's every-other-day collection overview and pictures

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks bh49 and jabba359.

Today it's the Dragonfly in orange.

I got this one with Amazon Prime just in time for Halloween (I realized that I didn't have any orange Spydies). Knife nuts, you know, we use any excuse to buy another Spydie. :rolleyes:

It was also my first Dragonfly, and it converted me to the LBK concept. The orange Dragonfly is still one of my favorite companion blades for EDC alongside a PM2, Manix, etc.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next I got a Lil' Lionspy to test out in Wyoming.

I love the design lines of the Lil' Lionspy, and the thick, contoured scales make for a very ergonomic handle. Granted, the blade is a little thick and upswept to be great at slicing/etc., but it came quite sharp, and I have never had any difficulty cutting anything that I needed to with the Lil' Lionspy. Additionally, the rotoblock and made-in-Italy stamp add some novelty to the knife that is found on few other Spyders.

swigert

Post by swigert »

I enjoy my lil lion spy also. I haven't had it out in a while. I should break it out.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Also, I like the "Spyderco" etch that's found on the Italy spydies. It has a unique hollow look that's just a bit different and a nice detail.

I wonder how many people actually use the rotoblock? Quick in action and quick to pocket are two prime considerations for most people using a folding knife I would think. You'd have to have a serious amount of continuous cutting planned and a serious fear of the lock randomly disengaging to make employing the rotoblock worthwhile.
swigert

Post by swigert »

tvenuto wrote:Also, I like the "Spyderco" etch that's found on the Italy spydies. It has a unique hollow look that's just a bit different and a nice detail.

I wonder how many people actually use the rotoblock? Quick in action and quick to pocket are two prime considerations for most people using a folding knife I would think. You'd have to have a serious amount of continuous cutting planned and a serious fear of the lock randomly disengaging to make employing the rotoblock worthwhile.
Funny you said that about the Spyderco etch. I carried my lil lip spy today and thought about that exact thing.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Well, this thread has nearly slowed to a stop, but I'm still posting when I can find time.

Today I'm featuring the Gayle Bradley. I handled this knife a few times in the SFO, and I decided that I really detested the flush liner lock. However, with a little Christmas money and a great coupon/deal at RedsGear, I picked a Gayle Bradley up to try it out for EDC. I already loved M4, and the blade shape is pretty good looking IMO. I used it quite a bit, and I ended up enjoying it more than I initially thought--the carbon fiber is photogenic, the steel is great, and the size is "just right" for my needs.

I have slowly gotten over the liner lock issues, and the Gayle Bradley is currently one of my top-5 EDC Spydies.

swigert

Post by swigert »

Thanks for keeping it going! That flush liner lock is hard to get past but it's worth it. Great knife huh?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

The GB is a true classic. Handsome and strong, great blade, and pretty comfortable to use. I've gotten used to the lock design, but I still don't see any realistic benefit to not having more access and think it would be that much better with a cutout a la Sage. Though I dunno, it sure looks great without it.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Yep, it's a modern Spydie classic. I may need to get one to keep NIB in the event that they discontinue the GB1 with the advent of the GB2.

At the same time as the GB, I bought a Sage 2. This was the final Sage that I needed for my collection.

Initially, I was unimpressed by the looks--somewhat drab, and I already had other Sages, so the shape/ergos/blade were nothing new. However, after some time carrying the Sage 2, I have come to appreciate its simplicity. The wire clip and all-silver color scheme is great for carrying in khaki pants because it blends in well. It works great as EDC blade for hiking/ranch-type stuff, too.

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Yep, it's a modern Spydie classic. I may need to get one to keep NIB in the event that they discontinue the GB1 with the advent of the GB2.
The GB2 is replacing the GB1, so you might want to pick up that GB1.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I forgot about the Mule Team 19s. They should have been a while back, but oh well.

I picked up two of the MT19s in PSF27 when they came available. I added flamed mahogany scales to one (loveless bolts) and a simple paracord wrap to the other. I made a kydex sheath that fits any one of my three Mules, but it looks terrible, so I refuse to take a picture of it. The paracord MT19 lives in my day pack; I haven't ever used that one, but the mahogany Mule has seem a little woodwork. I probably haven't cut enough to judge PSF27, but from what I've heard, it is similar to D2, which I think is a good steel for outdoors uses. Someone remind me to use a Mule next time I go to the ranch...

I'm leaving for BSA SeaBase tonight, so look for the next post around the 15th.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Well, it has been hard to update this thread in a timely manner with summer camping/etc.

Today I am featuring the Lil' Temperance in 440V and green G10.

The Lil' Temp is an interesting knife. It is very solid feeling, and the ergos are great. Of course, the leaf shaped blade and compression lock are old favorites. As others have stated, the clip is weird, and I am glad that it will be different on the Lil' Temp 2. Overall, the Lil' Temperance is a classic, Golden-made Spydie, and I am glad to have one in the collection.

HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

GS.

Don't forget to use the mule next time you go to the ranch.

Your welcome.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks. ;) I am heading up in July, and I will use the paracord MT19.

Today I am featuring the Endura generation 1 "Everest."

This old Endura was made as a Japanese-exclusive to commemorate a climbing expedition on Everest in 1991. My example is the only "Everest" Endura that I have ever seen. I was thrilled to snag it direct from Japan (new in box with a Japanese letter from Sal) for ~$50.

swigert

Post by swigert »

Wow that endura is amazing. Look at that pointy tip!
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I do mis the pointy tip on endura's and delica's. Sal, how about a run with pointy tips for forum members?
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Next up is the Manix 2 XL exclusive for Knifeworks in S90V and carbon fiber (yet another factory second).

It is hard to express how "perfect" this knife is for me. The ergos are amazing (broad handle, good jimping), the blade is a great size for outdoor EDC, the blade steel is great, and the CBBL does not disappoint. Additionally, it is very lightweight!

I have used and tested this M2XL a ton. It has excelled at every task that I have tried--including chopping down small trees, batoning kindling, and cutting fiberglass cloth into strips (very abrasive, but the edge held well). I wish that I could find a decently priced one on the secondary market, because I would really like a duplicate.

It's tight between this and my matching Para but this CF/S90V XL is probably my favorite ever folder to this point. The only gripe is the goofy way it rides in pocket.

I have a buddy that polishes his peel ply CF spydies and they look amazing so I'm hoping to find another reasonably priced CF XL and polish it and make it a hard user.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)