Smallest tip down knife with a lanyard hole?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Smallest tip down knife with a lanyard hole?

Post by Donut »

The Meerkat doesn't have a lanyard hole... but you can tie a lanyard to the wire clip. That's about as small as I care to go.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bluedog

Post by bluedog »

Another option?:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88489702@N07/8626836597/
Appears to be a wire clip mounted on the middle screw of a three-screw setup without grooves.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure you guys are following me on this one. The point of tip down has nothing to do with the clip other than it clipping tip down. I'm looking for tip down specifically so it clips with the lanyard tube at the bottom of the knife while clipped, so my keys hang from it in my pocket.
bluedog

Post by bluedog »

With a 4-way knife a guy could, pursuant to the two cited links, install a standard wire clip at one end and a little fabricated loop at the other end for a key ring. Could choose tip up or tip down, righty or lefty, and attach keys, without needing a lanyard hole.

The Dice is 4-way and has a lanyard hole - if it would would work for you you wouldn't even have to make a little loop.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bluedog wrote:With a 4-way knife a guy could, pursuant to the two cited links, install a standard wire clip at one end and a little fabricated loop at the other end for a key ring. Could choose tip up or tip down, righty or lefty, and attach keys, without needing a lanyard hole.

The Dice is 4-way and has a lanyard hole - if it would would work for you you wouldn't even have to make a little loop.

OK I get what you're saying. The only issue with the dice is size. This knife will essentially be a keychain so it also needs to be small.
bluedog

Post by bluedog »

Please post a photo when you get it figured out!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

AS far as I know the Cricket, Spin, and Equilibrium are the smallest tip down Spydies. You might also think about the ARK as you can fix the sheath to put your keys on and the knife is not encumbered at all if you need to get to it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Maybe one of those pocket dangler thingies will work for you here. You could use the lanyard hole on a small clipless knife to attach the knife to a keyring and then the keys and knife hang from the dangler that clips to your pocket. This is not my photo but you get the idea.

Donut

Post by Donut »

I say don't let the task pick the knife, let the knife pick the task. Go with the Military. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

senorsquare wrote:Maybe one of those pocket dangler thingies will work for you here. You could use the lanyard hole on a small clipless knife to attach the knife to a keyring and then the keys and knife hang from the dangler that clips to your pocket. This is not my photo but you get the idea.

Function wise, that's exactly what I'm going after, I would just like to make it happen with a knife so that it's duel purpose. I'm really leaning towards the Cricket if I can find one for a reasonable price. The Balance would also be a good option, but I like that the Cricket has more blade in about the same package.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I think the Cricket should work fine for what you're looking for it to do. The Spin is also a surprisingly nice little knife as well.
Are you thinking Stainless steel model or Nishijin variation?

Dan
xinam

Post by xinam »

I vote equilibrium or balance. Both look like great useful designs in a very small package. What did ya choose ?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

OldSarSwmr wrote:I think the Cricket should work fine for what you're looking for it to do. The Spin is also a surprisingly nice little knife as well.
Are you thinking Stainless steel model or Nishijin variation?

Dan

The thinner the better so probably stainless. It'll also take a beating as a keychain so it needs to have a tough surface.