most underrated/overlooked spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: most underrated/overlooked spydies

Post by DougC-3 »

SpeedHoles wrote:Ok, this thread desperately needs photos. :)

Hmmm... spent so much on knives you're having to ration your Oreos, eh? :eek: :D But when you do it sure is nice to have a good blade handy to do it with :spyder: :p

But seriously, thanks for all the good photos of underrated/overlooked knives ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I'd love a JD Smith, and have passively been on the lookout for one for quite a while (Not looking every day, but probably once every few weeks). Thus far I've been unlucky, but I may yet find one to add to my rotation. My knives are users though so I'd want either the grey VG-10 sprint in PE, or an older full serrated model. I'll take what I can find though if budget allows.
Very interesting you mention one of my all time top 10 favorites and that being the JD Smith model. Even when it was in the main line up ( before any of the Sprints) it never seemed to garner much attention compared to many of the other models at the time. Yeah for as premium and well loved of an older model Spyder as it is I would definitely agree with you that it just never got the respect that it much deserves.

It is funny about many Spyderco models over the years>> it seems like many of them don't get much fanfare until they get discontinued. One prime example of that was the very first PERRIN fixed blade model from the early 2000s>> I remember when it got whacked from the main line up and it wasn't 6 months that model started fetching premium bid prices on all the major auction sites and it was soon considered a collector's gem by 2004/05.

The DODO got much more attention after it was deleted from the main line up. I remember in about 2004 I couldn't hardly get any trade offers on an extra PE model of the Dodo I had at that time. But now like the original PERRIN and the DODO models among many others I could mention are considered like Gold. Go figure :rolleyes:
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

So heres a question. Do you think now with so many knifenuts on youtube and instagram and other sources, some of the past models would do better now with them having a much better platform for them to be seen on the net where they may have not received as much shine simply relying on catalogs and shows?

Also, why are some models getting more attention? Yet again, techno over the chubby, even though a lot of people like both it seems like the southard over the domino (which I think the domino is worlds better than the southard). Sage over the superleaf, delica over the worker, man/ladybug over the lava, etc.
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

DougC-3 wrote:Hmmm... spent so much on knives you're having to ration your Oreos, eh? :eek: :D But when you do it sure is nice to have a good blade handy to do it with :spyder: :p

But seriously, thanks for all the good photos of underrated/overlooked knives ;)

Haha, fortunately for me no need to ration. But when boredom sets in at snacktime, sometimes it's fun to play! :D
Thanks for appreciating the photos! That's my favorite thing to do on these forums, is browse photos... so when I joined I figured I would snap a bunch of mine and post away! And coincidentally, it seems that many of my favorite knives are apparently those seen as underrated or overlooked. :p

So, did somebody say JD Smith??
I just received this one a week or so ago. (Disregard the Dragonfly 2 in the pic, that one is rarely underrated!)

I know it is probably not a considered criteria for rating a knife, but for some reason the JD Smith strikes me as one of the most beautiful knives when closed (as well as open). :)
Going back to Caly.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Some of my favorite maybe not unsung, but "seldom sung" models:

The SuperLeaf was mentioned and pictured a couple of times, but it can use more ink :) It is spec'ed very similar to the Manix2, but has a different feel. They are still available in some B&M stores at reasonable prices and turn up in the aftermarket from time to time. I love the smooth action, the inertia of the heavy 4mm blade which can swing in or out slowly with an authoritative thunk, and the discrete deep carry wire clip. Also, it's turning me into a compression lock liker. Another thing I like about the design is that the spine jimping is almost flush with the liners, which makes it very smooth and comfortable when you don't need it, but when you do need it and press firmly with your thumb, it can be plenty aggressive. I also like the VG-10 steel but would love to see a sprint in another metal.

I think the R model, here in Nishijin, was mentioned but not pictured. It's one of my favorites, halfway between a Delica and an Endura, but with a nice choil. It can be a more dressy alternative to the Stretch, and I'd really love to see it occasionally included in the FRN sprint series. (Shown w/non-standard deep clip which I tried briefly but went back to the original)

I didn't see any mention or pictures of the D'Allara Rescue (pictured here) or the D'Allara Drop Point. These knives have, as far as I know, the most comfortable, contoured and hand-filling handle of any spydie folders. This is a great feature to prevent blisters or hot spots in very hard or long cutting, which could be encountered in a rescue situation. I use the Rescue model to cut limbs up to an inch and a half, which can frequently be done with one stroke if you put a little pressure on the branch with the other hand ;) I'm on the lookout for the drop point model and eagerly awaiting the new model Sal has mentioned.

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Good call posting a pic of the R. I mentioned it, but haven't owned one to snap a pic of.

Same with the D'Allara. Saw one go on BF for dirt cheap just a day or two ago. I can't really judge without using one, but it appears to me that would be one knife that I may love using, but dislike carrying, because of the fat grip. Same with the Citadel.

Oh, and if you love the SuperLeaf, might also add in the SuperHawk! I passed on one a few months ago for a great price and have since heavily regretted it.
Going back to Caly.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I've thought about the SuperHawk, but now Lance's enthusiasm about the Lil' Matriarch exclusive has about got me on the bandwagon for it :p
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

DougC-3 wrote:I've thought about the SuperHawk, but now Lance's enthusiasm about the Lil' Matriarch exclusive has about got me on the bandwagon for it :p

I've got mine in my change pocket today!
Gratuitous pic:
Going back to Caly.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Cool shot, but I think the one you posted on the photo contest thread is even better (I was surprised when my wife liked this one :D ):
SpeedHoles wrote:Image
JKW

Post by JKW »

Surfingringo wrote:Lil Matriarch. I recently picked up the BBS plain edge exclusive and it remains my favorite edc blade. I think the lil matriarch would have sold better under a different name. I believe when folks here "matriarch" they think that vicious looking little sister of the civilian. The lil matriarch is a completely different animal and is way more EDC than sd in my opinion. Get one while you still can...
Late to this discussion, but I have a Lil Matriarch and is the EDC knife for me (though I have the spyderedge).
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

JKW wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Lil Matriarch. I recently picked up the BBS plain edge exclusive and it remains my favorite edc blade. I think the lil matriarch would have sold better under a different name. I believe when folks here "matriarch" they think that vicious looking little sister of the civilian. The lil matriarch is a completely different animal and is way more EDC than sd in my opinion. Get one while you still can...
Late to this discussion, but I have a Lil Matriarch and is the EDC knife for me (though I have the spyderedge).
Late is better than never. I am not a fan of frn at all (I'm a material junkie) but I think the Lil matriarch will be my one to see what handles are all about and I LOVE my harpy so I want to see how the reverse s works in use
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

clevelanddean wrote:
JKW wrote:
Late is better than never. I am not a fan of frn at all (I'm a material junkie) but I think the Lil matriarch will be my one to see what handles are all about and I LOVE my harpy so I want to see how the reverse s works in use

Have you owned or used any knives with FRN? Don't count it out. Many of my favorites are FRN, and is much easier to appreciate once in-hand.
...Caly Jr., Rescue 93, Delica 4, Manix LW, etc... they are all classics and icons of FRN. If you're a "material junkie" then you should be able to behold and appreciate exactly what it is.

Going back to Caly.
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

SpeedHoles wrote:
clevelanddean wrote:
JKW wrote:

Have you owned or used any knives with FRN? Don't count it out. Many of my favorites are FRN, and is much easier to appreciate once in-hand.
...Caly Jr., Rescue 93, Delica 4, Manix LW, etc... they are all classics and icons of FRN. If you're a "material junkie" then you should be able to behold and appreciate exactly what it is.

Owned, no. In store played with, yes. Nothing appealing for my edc having something that feels and looks "plastic". As much as I use my blades I also want something nice to look at. I will give it a try for use but I enjoy pulling some time or CF or mocu or Damascus out of the pocket. Some are function over form, I'm like why would I have to choose
JKW

Post by JKW »

clevelanddean wrote:
JKW wrote:
I also have the Dyad, and I really like the scales (G-10). I didn't like the feel of the FRN when I got my first knife with those scales, but my Lil Matriarch has changed over time because of the pocket wear -- 10 or more hours a day, almost every day, for over a year. The wear has made it much more comfortable, almost ... warmer? I also have an Endura that has no wear to speak of, and the feel of it doesn't bother me like it used to. I think FRN was completely foreign to me when I first handled it and was kind of a turn-off, but I've since acquired a feel for it.

Edited to add: Well, that was resoundingly lukewarm. I mean to say that I understood and appreciated the qualities of FRN and so overlooked the feel, until I finally realized I had acquired the feel. Like learning to drink beer? Maybe? Yeah, I'm not really selling it am I? Moving on... :)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

JKW wrote: I think FRN was completely foreign to me when I first handled it and was kind of a turn-off, but I've since acquired a feel for it.

Well put. Like an acquired taste almost.

These days I often feel that carbon fiber can be a bit cheesy looking at times. I get turned off by things that are overdone in an attempt to unnecessarily impress. Like seeing people with carbon fiber lisence plate surrounds, and things like that for example, which serve no purpose... not saying it's a bad material for a knife handle though, just losing my interest.
Going back to Caly.
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

JKW wrote:
clevelanddean wrote:
JKW wrote:
I also have the Dyad, and I really like the scales (G-10). I didn't like the feel of the FRN when I got my first knife with those scales, but my Lil Matriarch has changed over time because of the pocket wear -- 10 or more hours a day, almost every day, for over a year. The wear has made it much more comfortable, almost ... warmer? I also have an Endura that has no wear to speak of, and the feel of it doesn't bother me like it used to. I think FRN was completely foreign to me when I first handled it and was kind of a turn-off, but I've since acquired a feel for it.

Edited to add: Well, that was resoundingly lukewarm. I mean to say that I understood and appreciated the qualities of FRN and so overlooked the feel, until I finally realized I had acquired the feel. Like learning to drink beer? Maybe? Yeah, I'm not really selling it am I? Moving on... :)

You tried....lol. I'm more single malt and champagne than champagne of beers.. lol
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I don't use it very often, but I'm *very* fond of the Tusk. What an engineering marvel that blade is...

TedP
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Speaking of FRN, few of my few remaining have the longevity of use of this Caspian. Beautiful piece of very tough sculpted H1. The picture is when it was younger, has quite a few more scratches and a finer edge now :)

Charlie
Attachments
caspian.jpg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:I don't use it very often, but I'm *very* fond of the Tusk. What an engineering marvel that blade is...

TedP
Why oh why didn't they make the TUSK in Spyderedge :confused: ? It's definitely target marketed toward the fishing, marine sectors of the market where it's been proven that Spyderedges tend to excel :confused: ? I would buy one in a heartbeat if they ever come out with a Spyderedged version. I love everything about that knife and I just know that knife would really shine in Spyderedge.

I'll probably go ahead and get the PE version but I much rather have a serrated version ten times over. I got a feeling if they did a Spyderedged version of that TUSK it would take off like the Spyderedged Harpy did over the years.
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

Just to keep it moving. The meadowlark. I say this because spyderc 8cr is great for what it is and that choil. I am increasingly loving my delica but REALLY WISH THEY WOULD ADD A CHOIL. I think it would be the perfect basic user if the delica added a choil, but since they didn't ...the meadowlark.

P.S. put a choil on the delica.