The ARK has landed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

The ARK has landed

Post by Doc Dan »

The ARK has landed at KW, for those interested. Perhaps we should give a gift to a service member on deployment, those of us who know them?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Re: The ARK has landed

Post by SpyderNut »

Doc Dan wrote:The ARK has landed at KW, for those interested. Perhaps we should give a gift to a service member on deployment, those of us who know them?
Not a bad idea. I think it would also make a great gift for many of our wives/girl friends/significant others. Great little design. Looks to be quite sturdy too.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This one is tempting for me at that price point but I am still on the fence due to the blade shape and the PE H1. Hopefully we will see other configurations in the future. :) I would be all over one in VG10 myself.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Saw them last night, was so close to buying one on impulse because of the great price!!!

Also noticed some Sqaureheads pop up in stock at a few places, I wasn't AS successful resisting the urge for one of those! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

It will be great to see how many of these stop the rot...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I think this knife is a good idea and design. It is similar to my favorite neck/gear knife in design. It has a short, wide cutting blade with a handle that is easy to control and hard to remove from your grasp by someone else.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
John Shirley

Post by John Shirley »

I should have a YouTube video up in the next few days, demonstrating simple defensive moves with the ARK. I think the FRN is a better choice...but Sam makes a handful in G10 every few months (be advised they are thicker and heavier than the production ARK, and better suited to G Clip carry: also, in steels like 440C, not H-1).

Here are some Sam did with resin-soaked wrap, so we could keep the cost down for members of my dojo (round hole owned by Spyderco and used with their gracious permission).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4qOmbSIIAA3Sc4.jpg:large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wow I wasn't expecting such a low price point. Good job guys!
John Shirley

Post by John Shirley »

Yeah, I'm surprised, but pleased. I really wanted troops to be able to afford this.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Received mine from Howes yesterday. It's really light weight and perfect knife for it's intended use. I think it also the perfect knife for walkers, bicyclists and runners that don't have pockets or want to fill them up. It would also work well as a backpacker's knife. H1 construction means no worries about corrosive sweat or moisture.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I have got one in my cart to be obtained the next time I place an order. I am collecting up those I really want and will order them all together. This one is a must have.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Any one have in hand pics? Would love to see some to really get to see the size of this knife. Thinking this might be a good neck knife to have when fishing/doing outdoor activities.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I think this would make a great necker for kayak/boating/fishing. I will probably pick one up if I ever get tired of fighting the rust on my Swick!
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Wow! Sorry, I'm not sure why my pictures are that big? I hope that helps Travvy.

It's a wicked little slicer and I think it will afford the user the ability to have a claw attached to their fist.
The sheath is very tight, I tried pulling it out just by yanking it out but ending up grabbing the sheath and then pulling it out. It felt like I would pop the chain. Just going to work on it a little.
I ended up wearing it from about 9:30am to 3:00pm over the t-shirt with a polo shirt over that. It was completely comfortable and did not show a hint it was there.

Dan
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

That defiantly helps! Thanks!! Will probably be picking one up when I can.
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

What's the thickness on the shoulders of the edge bevels ? 2mm stock with a high hollow that does scream slicey.
sal

Post by sal »

About .015.

sal
Studey

Post by Studey »

sal wrote:About .015.

sal
Wow!!! That's outstanding for a factory knife. Sal, I gotta give you credit for having a knife company that makes knives whose primary purpose is to CUT. None of this .040" and 70* inclusive nonsense.

That should make for an excellent little cutter.
JKW

Post by JKW »

I was waiting for this one, and I didn't even know it until I saw it. I've overnighted alone in campgrounds, quick-washed camp-style in countless highway restrooms, and gone for hours-long walks in workout clothes (no pockets!). As soon as I saw the "coming soon" announcement and read the story behind the knife, I felt like Spyderco had made it for me (also). I won't need it on me all the time, but it's nice to know I have it for my next long trip or walkabout. Thank you Spyderco!