Lowe's Kobalt 18-in-1 Torx Set ? Your thoughts , please ...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
HorserloverFat

Lowe's Kobalt 18-in-1 Torx Set ? Your thoughts , please ...

Post by HorserloverFat »

Has anyone had the chance to compare this with different sets such as the Home Depot torx set ? I would like to hear some feedback on this set before I break the seal on the package. Thanks in advance ...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_69826-16878-624 ... n+1+kobalt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surfingringo

Re: Lowe's Kobalt 18-in-1 Torx Set ? Your thoughts , please ...

Post by Surfingringo »

I don't have that exact set but I do have some kobalt torx drivers. They have been fine for taking apart and adjusting knives. Have had them a couple of years and have not had any issues.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Thanks. It has got to work better than the set from Home Depot ...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HorserloverFat wrote:Thanks. It has got to work better than the set from Home Depot ...
Which set was that? What was wrong with it?
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

^

The tip does not appear to but cut well and the metal is too soft : http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-1 ... /100087664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HorserloverFat wrote:^

The tip does not appear to but cut well and the metal is too soft : http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-1 ... /100087664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hmm, well, I have some husky bits too. I haven't had any trouble with them either so my experience with the kobalts might not be helpful. I have a different set of the Huskys though. It is this one.
345ce4b1-ec0c-493c-a94b-e2136d751937_400.jpg
345ce4b1-ec0c-493c-a94b-e2136d751937_400.jpg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 6167 times
Maybe a different steel in the two sets. Who knows.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I have both the huskys mentioned in this thread. Both are fine. I've never had the torx be a problem. The knives I've tried open have always been the problem. Too much loctitr and I have stripped screws.

Now I use a wiha set though. Best I have found.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I have that Lowe's set. It's decent for the price. My only real complaint with it so far is that it doesn't stay snapped together very well, so if you carry it in a backpack or whatever, it tends to come apart. The driver is supposed to snap through those two handle holes and hold the whole thing folded shut, but it doesn't really stay in place.

The bits themselves seem fine, though.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Surfingringo wrote:
HorserloverFat wrote:^

hmm, well, I have some husky bits too. I haven't had any trouble with them either so my experience with the kobalts might not be helpful. I have a different set of the Huskys though. It is this one.
345ce4b1-ec0c-493c-a94b-e2136d751937_400.jpg
Maybe a different steel in the two sets. Who knows.
I will check out your set. Thanks.

By the way, did you see this video yet : https://youtu.be/R-qK68a24dI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

swigert wrote:I have both the huskys mentioned in this thread. Both are fine. I've never had the torx be a problem. The knives I've tried open have always been the problem. Too much loctitr and I have stripped screws.

Did you apply heat in order to loosen the Loctite ?
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

timlara wrote:I have that Lowe's set. It's decent for the price. My only real complaint with it so far is that it doesn't stay snapped together very well, so if you carry it in a backpack or whatever, it tends to come apart. The driver is supposed to snap through those two handle holes and hold the whole thing folded shut, but it doesn't really stay in place.

I hope that these bits work as the Home Depot set really stripped a screw on my Manix 2. Thanks.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HorserloverFat wrote:
timlara wrote:I have that Lowe's set. It's decent for the price. My only real complaint with it so far is that it doesn't stay snapped together very well, so if you carry it in a backpack or whatever, it tends to come apart. The driver is supposed to snap through those two handle holes and hold the whole thing folded shut, but it doesn't really stay in place.

I hope that these bits work as the Home Depot set really stripped a screw on my Manix 2. Thanks.
When a torx bit strips a screw, its most likely not an issue with the bit. (edit: That is probably too general of a statement. A cheap bit can indeed be the problem but I haven't experienced that with the Huskys or the Kobalts. Anyway...) Either the screws are too soft (never had this issue with Spyderco hardware), too much force is applied, or the wrong size bit is used. The last one can happen with torx screws because sometimes the bit that is one size too small can be used but it will almost certainly strip the screw. I always check to make sure i'm using the largest bit that the screw head will accept.

I will say that I saw that one you have in the store and elected to pass on it. Looks to me like that thin handle would be more difficult to apply even pressure to. I would probably go ahead and get the one you are looking at as it looks to be more user friendly. Just remember, when dealing with small torx screws, "If it won't go; force it" is a poor mantra. :D
Last edited by Surfingringo on Mon May 25, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have the 8 in 1 Husky set you linked and have not had any problems and I have taken many knives apart with it. I really like it. Sorry you had problems with it but it has performed well for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not sure which version I have but it has a bunch of bits in a gray handle. You have to really pay attention to how well each bit fits before you use them because some will seem like they fit but are slightly too small. The best fit will have almost no wiggle room. My advice has always been buy the highest quality bits you can find. Pay more now and save yourself the hassle of stripped screws later. I also mark the bits I use most with a sharpie so I don't accidentally use the wrong bit.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Wiha 79242 set.. 10 bit set.. T5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30.. Super fit and quality.. John :)

On Sale on their web site.. $10.98..
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I still have the old BENCHMADE set of Torx drivers that I got back in the early 2000s and so far it has served me well. However if this set you're talkikng about is better I sure want to be aware of it. I've also heard that Snap-On tools has a really nice assortment of Torx drivers as well. And that's probably the set that I will save up to get>> because I sure love their unlimited lifetime guarantee. I've never had a Snap-On tool ever fail me at any time. I have some of the bigger Snap-On Torx sockets I got all the way back to the early 80s and they have done very well over the years.

But hey if I can save a few bucks on something with comparable quality I would be interested for sure.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I use bit drivers made in Germany by a company named Wiha. They are hardened, precision bits that are superior to anything you'll find in an American big-box hardware store. I highly recommend them. I also use Wiha bits to take apart other things that require precision tools, like Rolex, Omega and high-end Japanese watches.
swigert

Post by swigert »

HorserloverFat wrote:
swigert wrote:I have both the huskys mentioned in this thread. Both are fine. I've never had the torx be a problem. The knives I've tried open have always been the problem. Too much loctitr and I have stripped screws.

Did you apply heat in order to loosen the Loctite ?
No. Not sure why I never thought of that.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I have the lowes set, it works pretty well. My screwdriver doesn't stay very securely in the bit holder though. Oh well :)
delphidoc

Post by delphidoc »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:I use bit drivers made in Germany by a company named Wiha. They are hardened, precision bits that are superior to anything you'll find in an American big-box hardware store. I highly recommend them. I also use Wiha bits to take apart other things that require precision tools, like Rolex, Omega and high-end Japanese watches.
+1 on Wiha, for Torx and screwdriver sets. I have scads of precision screwdriver sets and they're the best I have, hands down.

I also have the Husky Torx bits in-the-handle mentioned above. If you're not going to go the Wiha route, they're pretty adequate. Believe it or not the Do It Best brand drivers are pretty good, too.

Also +1 on checking multiple bits/drivers and using the largest one that fits. Sometimes the "advertised" size isn't the best bit/driver size.