Spyderco Photo of the Week Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PayneTrain

Re: Spyderco Photo of the Week Contest!

Post by PayneTrain »

Wow, some really good entries this week. I had a tough time choosing which one to throw in this week, but I went with the one with more scratches on it. Sorry veeteetee, I try to use my knives as much as possible but they just won't stop looking pretty. :)

Delica 4 on crabapple petals:
Mygrainman

Post by Mygrainman »

DougC-3 wrote:Well, this G-10 Dragonfly is a hardworking knife. It just cut the throat of this baby banana and is taking a rest at the moment ;)

mine is equally ruthless...

As you can see after committing jihad on this potato it went right back to opening envelopes like nothing happened...
-Please do not consider this photo an entry... all credit for the idea goes to DougC-3 and his photo.-
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Ha ha -- these Dragonflies can be downright sociopathic at times, maybe even psychopathic if you push 'em too far! ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Mygrainman

Post by Mygrainman »

DougC-3 wrote:Ha ha -- these Dragonflies can be downright sociopathic at times, maybe even psychopathic if you push 'em too far! ;)
I think it's a classic case of "Little Knife Syndrome" :D
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Kniferbro

Post by Kniferbro »

PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Mygrainman wrote: BTW.. This was my very 1st attempt at staging a photo like this. I was so impressed with the photos I see here, I had to try it for myself. I don't have a real camera but my iPad does OK I guess. I apologize in advance for future entrees. besides my lack of a decent dedicated camera or photography experience... my cast of Spydies is limited to 6. Of course it was only 4 two weeks ago and 5 three days ago :D Like so many of us I'm always auditioning new talent ;)
Hey don't worry at all, photography is one of those activities where the gear really doesn't matter compared to the photographer. In fact, it almost simplifies things in the sense that you don't have to think about exposure, depth of field, blah blah blah, and can just focus on composing a nice scene, finding the best angle, all the stuff you have to do regardless how good your camera is. It's a lot like knives, really. Nobody really needs a $1000 camera like nobody needs a Southard to cut stuff, but they sure are fun to use! (Though if you think about it, an iphone IS almost a $1000 camera. Hmmm...)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Going back to Caly.
kosta

Post by kosta »

Hi. Time difference between Almaty and Washington 12 hours. We have a Monday May 25. The photos published after my message I ask to participate next week. I made the choice. I judged this week. Result such:
Winner – apollo. Knife from the fairy tale. It seems that Rubicon were lost by the elf. But the elf will return it. Very beautiful background. Beautiful texture and color of a tree.

Runner up – Kniferbro. Very good photo. There is a wish to give a hand and to take a knife.
I thank all participants of a photo of this week. Judge life difficult. :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Kniferbro wrote:Image
Great photo!
I just love shots like this. Such an unexpected angle to shoot from but it works. You've drawn such great lines here. Well done.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Kniferbro wrote:Image
Great photo!
I just love shots like this. Such an unexpected angle to shoot from but it works. You've drawn such great lines here. Well done.

I agree.
Putting the butt of the handle so the line is parallel to the horizon just lined everything else up to flow! :D
So much more fun to stare at than a regular catalog looking profile shot.
Going back to Caly.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Last edited by demoncase on Sat May 30, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Thank you Kosta for judging and congrats to Apollo and kniferbro :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Great judging, Kosta -- you nailed it with those two shots! Congratulations Apollo and Kniferbro for the great work! (There were 2 or 3 other close contenders too.)

I think Sal once said something like "We all speak knife," and I'd like to add that we all speak "photograph!" :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Congrats to the winners!

Kosta, you mentioned elves and when I first saw Apollo's photo I was thinking of hobbits. LOL Great choices. :)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Seriously apollo, where did you find that tree? Is it even real? That was such a cool shot, I knew it'd win. Well done!

Congrats to you too knifebro, and a good job all around this week. Let's do it again!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
kosta

Post by kosta »

apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Thx kosta and all the others! It was a very hard competition last week! i am honored to be the judge again :)

Thx payneTrain the tree i real if i am correct it is an old oak. :) I found it in a forrest nearby i must have walked by it a millions times without ever noticing it. (Normaly the path to it is closed due to falling branches of old tree's but i sneak in ones in a while to have some quality time with my knives ;) .)
I must say i was very lucky with the light that day. :) i have no photoshop or other tools to alter my pictures so it really was luck :D When i first put the pictures on my laptop i was amazed how beautyfull they are . :) so thx again guys for having another beautyfull week full of amazing pic's ! :) (Yes i have more with other knives ;) )
kosta

Post by kosta »

Apoolo, good to you refereeing. I understood that to be the judge a hard work. :)