Blade usage profile poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you a collector of your Spydercos, user, or a bit of both?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:03 am

I cut with EVERY Spyderco I buy
48%
I cut with MOST Spydercos I buy... A FEW of my Spydercos are UNUSED
36%
I cut with a FEW of my Spydercos...MOST of my collection is UNUSED
15%
NONE of my Spydercos are used for cutting
No votes

Total votes: 99

paladin

Blade usage profile poll

Post by paladin »

Please feel free to add responses, if so moved... ;)
paladin

Re: Blade usage profile poll

Post by paladin »

NOTE:

FEW & MOST can be interpreted realatively...

that is, MOST can be viewed as the MAJORITY of your Spydercos

and FEW can be interpreted as the MINORITY of your Spydercos
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've cut something (even if it's just one piece of paper) with almost every one. But they're mostly very lightly used. My work and daily activities just don't call for much cutting, so even my EDC users could mostly still pass for new.
:bug-red-white
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Most are lightly used, except the work Salt 1. Some are like new, like my Paramilitary 2, which doesn't do it for me, but I still hold on to, for some reason.
- best wishes, Jazz.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Every knife I own will eventually get an edge put on it and carried. When you own 60+ Spydercos though, it can take a while to get to some.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Currently I have about 50 spydies. 10 of them are currently in use or were in use and currently enjoying retirement. 3 of ten saw quite a bit of use and probably some of abuse :o :( like unintentional drops on concrete floor or sharpening with extra course stones . Two more in used condition were given away to friends.
Last edited by bh49 on Sun May 24, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm pretty much with gbelleh on this one (although with 1/10 the collection). My edc uses are pretty light, and many could pass as new, but I have used them all, and most of them are in a regular carry rotation.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have been thinking about this since Evil D's "dedicated user" thread and almost started my own poll on the topic.

I never thought of myself as a collector, but I got bitten pretty hard and ended up with 20+ Spyders relatively quickly. It would be hard to deny now that this isn't a collection on some level.

I have 4 folders that see probably 90% of use/carry time in the rotation:

CF Chaparral
Blue leaf UKPK, pe
Satin/Camo PM2
Cruwear Manix 2

I also use all of my Spyderco fixed blades:

South Fork
K390 & B70P Mules

Then I have a bunch of like new folders that have seen limited carry/use and a couple still waiting in the on-deck circle. I am not in any particular hurry to do so, but will likely start to sell/trade some as I buy new stuff, rather than moving much beyond the (somewhat arbitrary) 2 dozen mark.
:spyder:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I voted that I cut with most of my Spyderco knives, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Like Nate, a small subset of my knives see the majority of my use. Those include two 9Cr Mules, a K05 in PE, two Delicas, and a PM2 M390.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have some spares that haven't been used. I have a few mules that haven't been used yet.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I use every knife I buy, but that doesn't mean I EDC them equally. My Peter Herbst doesn't get the same pocket-time as either of my Manix 2s.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
BTG

Post by BTG »

I've cut with about 20, but out of 120, I guess I'm closer to just a few of them, and really it's usually 1 of these, and maybe a manbug, swick, or dog tag.
image.jpg
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I have a couple of unused spares, all the others are users. I do inspect the edge and lock up on every knife I get so all have cut a hair or something similar..
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I enjoy using Spyderco knives. :)
Going back to Caly.
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

Spydercos have gotten so expensive on my retirement, that I stow all 70 of them away for my daughter to sell when I exit. Have been carrying a Douk Douk.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Each of my 30ish Spydies has been used.

Part of my unboxing includes putting the new knife in my pocket (after I dress it with a simple lanyard) to use as my day requires. How long the knife remains in my pocket depends on how much love I can find for it. My Tatanka did not stay pocketed long and will not return soon, but I'll never give it up. It's now used, but just isn't for EDC.

My new Stretch2 looks like it will be pocketed for a long time and will get back in there after a Bradley Folder, Manix2, PM2, Native5, or other of my Spydies, each already used, has had some more pocket time. I don't regulate pocket time, but instead let the spirit move me.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I cut with most of mine. Since the poll doesn't allow for how many you have, somebody with 2 who uses both of them may look like more of a user than somebody who has 200 and uses only 50 ;) I've never felt that I could afford to buy mint condition knives just to collect, but I've wound up with some that are not as great a fit as I had hoped and, admittedly, a few that were so expensive and nice that I haven't been able to bring myself to use them. I'll need to sell some of these at some point but haven't so far. Nowadays I try to buy used when I can so I won't be tempted to leave it in the box if it's a grail type knife. I've actually been a little disappointed when a newly bought knife was in mint condition :rolleyes:

My knives usually don't get much heavy use except for cutting brush back from a trail, removing the occasional stray bush from the yard, or light mechanic or utility work. Other than that, it's just the usual food prep and package opening, etc.

Right now I have a cleared off space on a bookshelf at my bedside with 27 of my current favorite EDCs on it. I choose two or three for the day when I get up in the morning, usually including a Dragonfly or Squeak in the shirt pocket (easy to reach while seated). I don't have a rotation sequence -- it's more fun when it's a surprise :D There's a dozen more that I use occasionally and 10 that I haven't used yet for one reason or another. Edit: did a recount and could only come up with 5 that haven't been used at all.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sun May 24, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I'm with G and T. They all go in my pocket, and they all get called to duty at some point. It just isn't much these days and a lot of them could totally pass for new. My green PM2 has quite a few miles on it, but the blade miraculously doesn't have a scratch on it, despite seeing a good amount of cardboard. The only signs of wear are on the G10. Some show a little more age (scratches, patinas, poorly sharpened edges of ZDP :rolleyes: ), but overall my knives live a pretty posh lifestyle. Still, I consider myself an "every" user.
harronek

Post by harronek »

I would never buy a knife and not use it .

Ken
paladin

Post by paladin »

harronek wrote:I would never buy a knife and not use it .

Ken
point taken...

but...

...I haven't seen many pics of 25th Anniversary Delicas being used in the wild...

FWIS, there appears to be a few Spyderco models that scream, "Put me in your safe!"-- because of the intrinsic beauty, rarity, cost, & value attached to them.

Not an indictment-- just an observation... :) :spyder: :)