Matriarch 2 thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Comedie

Matriarch 2 thoughts

Post by Comedie »

So I just picked up one of these Matriarch 2's to try out. First Spyderco that has disappointed me a bit. Handle simply doesn't suit me. Manix 2 I have feels better and 'fuller' in the hand.
The Matriarch is sharp as heck. Got it to try out something different, and to try the Emerson opening. Mostly tho, is rather skinny, doesn't fill my hand well, and feels iffy on retention. We aren't all built the same I guess :)
gbelleh

Re: Matriarch 2 thoughts

Post by gbelleh »

The Matriarch 2 uses the Endura handle. I just got one of the all black, waved Matriarch 2s myself. So far, it seems as well built as any Endura I've had, and the wave opening works well.
:bug-red-white
Comedie

Post by Comedie »

Sounds like the same as I got. Guess I will have to steer clear of Endura handled things. I have some other Spyderco's that don't fit my hand well, but I never expected them to either,,, like my LadyBug Salts :) From the design intent of the Matriarch, however, I sorta expected a fuller grip. Maybe aftermarket scales would do the trick?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Comedie wrote:Maybe aftermarket scales would do the trick?
Maybe a full on Civilian would do the trick :eek:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Comedie wrote:Sounds like the same as I got. Guess I will have to steer clear of Endura handled things. I have some other Spyderco's that don't fit my hand well, but I never expected them to either,,, like my LadyBug Salts :) From the design intent of the Matriarch, however, I sorta expected a fuller grip. Maybe aftermarket scales would do the trick?
Hey Comedie, I'd agree with tvenuto about checking out the civilian. Thats like the Matriarchs big brother with a beefed up g10 handle.

Personally, I love the slimmer ergos of the endura handle. I use a Pacific Salt every day, which is an older version of the same handle, and it fits my grip perfectly. And yeah, I have been eyeing that black waved matriarch for awhile. I have a rule about not buying knives that I don't plan to use on a regular basis but I'm thinking about breaking it for that knife. Such beautiful lines on that one! My inner ninja is lusting after it quite a bit. :rolleyes:
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Made myself a set of foliage green G10 Matriarchs recently... The Lil Mat is now a standard EDC companion to my SB Caly 3.5. I would imagine the upcoming blue G10 Delica and Endura (in what was supposed to be SG2, but now?) would allow more of these Frankenspyders to become reality. :) Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

That Lil Matriarch makes for a great little edc blade doesn't it?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Surfingringo wrote:That Lil Matriarch makes for a great little edc blade doesn't it?
You know it totally does! I find myself reaching for it more than the Caly for those little tasks. The wicked tip and that perfect amount of hawkbill curve gives you so many opportunities for getting just the perfect cut. I love the added stability of the G10 liners, it makes the knife so much more solid, akin to the G10 vs FRN Dragonflys. The big momma Mat and Civilian are just too big for me, but this Lil Mat is near perfect! I'm actually a little surprised how much I've gravitated toward it, Spyderco's still teaching an older dog some new tricks I guess :D. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Comedie

Post by Comedie »

Civilian doesn't sound right to me either. Sounds very dedicated in purpose. I don't mind large knives if I get general utility out of them, but with the thinner tip on the Civilian it really sounds more special purpose.

The Lil Matriarch, however, might be a winner for me. Don't imagine it fits the hand better overall, but might just be grippier. My guess, anyway.

Think I am not liking the Emerson wave on that Matriarch 2 I bought tho. Partly because I'm not used to a knife opening as I take it out, perhaps. But mostly because I tend to wear baggy, untucked shirts, and I have to be pretty careful not to catch the opened blade in my shirt. Would probably be just fine if I got used to it and didn't dress like a slob :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The waved Matriarch, being a self-defense knife, is designed for immediate opening and effective defensive use. It sounds like that's not really what you were looking for. The Lil Matriarch (being based on the Delica handle), will have very similar handle ergos to the full size Matriarch, just a bit shorter. Not really any grippier. The Lil Matriarch would be better suited to EDC tasks, and lacks the wave hook. But if you don't like the width of the Endura handle, you might not like it either, but if you give it a chance for a while, you might grow to appreciate it.
Surfingringo wrote:And yeah, I have been eyeing that black waved matriarch for awhile. I have a rule about not buying knives that I don't plan to use on a regular basis but I'm thinking about breaking it for that knife. Such beautiful lines on that one! My inner ninja is lusting after it quite a bit. :rolleyes:
It is quite striking...

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Comedie,
Here's a comparison of the Matriarch and Lil Matriarch for you...

Comedie

Post by Comedie »

Well, ordered the Lil Matriarch, so will soon find out. I know on the face of it is doesn't seem like it should be grippier, but it might be. Comparing a Delica to Endura in pics, the Delica's contours look about the same depths, but they occur in shorter lengths. If that sentence was understandable, then you can imagine why I'm thinking it could be a bit grippier. More severe changes in the topography should be grippier,,, I think. Looks like that Lil Matriarch is being discontinued, so figured I'd best give it a try while I can get one.

So far as purpose,,,, well a bit like SurfGringo mentioned earlier, I got the Matriarch 2 as it looked interesting. Also wanted to try out the Emerson opener. I have always liked recurved blades as well, so the reverse recurve sounded interesting to try. Thought it might work out for EDC, but doesn't look like it to me now. Still liking my Manix 2 S110V better. If only they put the Matriarch blade into that handle.

As to the Emerson wave opening,,, well, at least I tried it. If I want a knife to open fast, I like my Zero Tolerance and Kershaws. Much as everyone has decided they want manual flippers in those circles, I still like the powered SpeedSafe, but I have ones without that as well. At least for me, those types of openings are fast and assured, and happen exactly when I want them too, without potentially slicing my shirt. The Emerson, not so much,,,,, but looks like it could have addtl duty as a beer bottle opener. :) Maybe I got lucky on my Manix, as I find it opens smooth and easily.

Prior to these latest toys, my EDC was a big fat ZT 0200. After a couple years of carrying that, figured it was time to try out some other things.

But these are just my thoughts, which others sometimes question the validity of. My wife does so quite frequently :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

right on Comedie. I think you will find the lil Matriarch to be vastly more useful as an edc than the full sized model. As far as the handle, my best advice is to stick it in you pocket and carry and use it with an open mind. As with so many of Spydercos designs, you might find that what feels a bit different to you at first will grow on you very quickly once you start to carry and use it. I have had many an "aha" moment with Spydercos that I didn't think i liked when I first laid eyes (or even hands) on them.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ever since Lance came out for the Lil Matriarch as an ideal EDC blade I'm really starting to take a serious look at this folder. Now of course I would have to had it in both edge variants because there are times I really need a Spyderedge for some of the jobs I have. But this smaller version of the Matriarch is really starting to intrigue me the more I look at it and read about it.

You may have indeed started a valid and legitimate trend Lance because this is really starting to make sense. Because at first I was having trouble seeing how a smaller version of a folder I already own three of can actually be better in a smaller size but this is truly one very interesting exception.

I wish more of you who have gotten this Lil Matriarch as an EDC would tell us what types of cutting chores you are using it on?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JD, based on your love of hawkbills I can almost guarantee you would find the lil Matriarch a great user and edc! I find I get most of the benefits of a hawkbill in a design that is for more useful for normal everyday cutting tasks.
Comedie

Post by Comedie »

Well, the Lil Matriarch arrived yesterday. You're right,,, I think this one seems better suited to EDC. Odd it is being discontinued, as seems more useful that the Matriarch 2. So the Lil M goes to the pocket and the M 2 gets to live in its box.

Came pretty darn sharp. Stropped the flat side ever so lightly a couple times, and now it is real sharp.
In checking the pivot Torx screw, I noted it seemed loose. But in trying to adjust it, note it has very free play in both directions, and beyond that felt frozen. I'll guess it is cross stripped. Seems OK for now, so will just leave it alone unless something prods me into dealing with it.

Interesting that I don't think I see a std recurve blade design in the Spyderco line. Something in a std recurve in the H1 line I would likely jump on for a fishing knife. Concave bit for line cutting, convex for bait and whatever else.