Native 5...why did it take me so long?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Native 5...why did it take me so long?

Post by Doc Dan »

GronK said that, not me :)

I did not buy the Southard because it has no protection. I prefer having a finger guard, myself. But, that N5 is certainly tempting. The pictures posted by Johnnie1801 clearly show that the Delica has a larger gripping surface behind the guard than the N5. Therefore, I assume the N5 will be too small for my hand :( unless I use the choil. It is one of Spydercos best looking knives, however.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Doc Dan wrote: The pictures posted by Johnnie1801 clearly show that the Delica has a larger gripping surface behind the guard than the N5. Therefore, I assume the N5 will be too small for my hand :( unless I use the choil.
That was exactly my experience - the Delica handle is absolutely perfect for my hand, and the Native handle was about one finger too small! Having said that, the design of the knife seems to suggest that the choil is meant to be used all the time. In videos from Shotshow 2015 where Eric handles the knife you can see him putting his finger in the choil pretty much every time he picks up the knife.

The next time I go back to my local shop I'm going to try handling the 5 alongside my Sage 1, which is a similar type of 'choil all the time' knife.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Doc Dan wrote:I have wanted a N5 for a while, but, as I have been informed, if I do not elect to use the choil it might be too small for my hand. I use a Delica nicely, but I have been informed on this forum that the N5 would be a tad small. I find the BM Mini Grip too small, for example. The Delica is just right. If this is not the case, someone with large hands please correct me.
I think the Native 5 is designed so that you use the front choil all the time. I have fairly large hands and using the front choil on the Native 5 gives better ergos and cutting performance than just about any other knife I have owned. Putting the index finger behind the choil just never felt right.

Using the front choil is how I like to grip the knife so it works well for me. If you are a person who does not like to place your index finger in the front choil then I'd say the N5 is probably not the model for you, as that is where this knife really shines ergonomically IMHO.
APS

Post by APS »

I use the choil unless I am holding the knife in a hammer grip then I grip behind the choil. My medium size hand fits there. Actually I'd be ok if the Native was choil-less and had a single guard like the Delica (but with less gap between edge and guard) and I prefer the wider handle over the Delica.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Doc Dan wrote:GronK said that, not me :)

I did not buy the Southard because it has no protection. I prefer having a finger guard, myself. But, that N5 is certainly tempting. The pictures posted by Johnnie1801 clearly show that the Delica has a larger gripping surface behind the guard than the N5. Therefore, I assume the N5 will be too small for my hand :( unless I use the choil. It is one of Spydercos best looking knives, however.
Hi Dan, if you are not sure about the N5 then wait for the Shaman = bigger Native + Comp lock :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:Ah, Roman will be proud. ;):) .
yes, I am. it is very nice to see growing number of N5 fans. The great knife, which was kind of underapriciated for a while.
SpyderNut wrote: Excellent review and great pics! Nicely done.
+1
Uke

Post by Uke »

Oops! Sorry about that mate...it must have got jumbled up when I was juggling multiple quotes!
Uke

Post by Uke »

With all the 'gripping behind the choil' talk I just snapped a couple of quick dodgy phone pics to show how my hands fit in both positions. I use both grips often and find both really comfortable. I take a 'Medium' glove size...

Behind the choil:

In the choil:
GronK

Post by GronK »

Uke wrote:
Oops! Sorry about that mate...it must have got jumbled up when I was juggling multiple quotes!
Careful! If attacked by circus tigers they always go for the juggler!