Best for arthritis?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Best for arthritis?

Post by Doc Dan »

delphidoc wrote:Another issue to think about beside opening/closing ease is the comfort of holding the knife while using it. I'm 56 and am getting a little mild arthritis in a few of my finger joints. I say mild because my wife has severe RA and has already had both hips replaced, with an ankle fusion or replacement to take place some time later this year. My work involves heavy use of my hands- I'm a general surgeon. At the end of a long day of surgery my hands and wrists can get pretty sore. Unfortunately the instruments we use generally have quite narrow handles. That's fine for short procedures as far as dexterity is concerned. Having to grip narrow-handled instruments for several hours can sure lead to hand fatigue. I've come to appreciate bulkier handles on instruments and knives so that my hands don't have to grip the handles so tightly. It's nice for a knife with a narrow handle to disappear into my pocket, but it's even nicer for my hand to not have to squeeze a narrow handle like a vice to keep it secure in my hand during prolonged or hard use.
Here is an interesting observation. How large of a knife handle (or thick) would you feel is optimal for your comfort?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking a "chunky" handle, or larger handle would be a better option for him. The Caly's lock is nice but the handle is quite thin/small. Maybe Spyderco could come out with a new model specifically for arthritic hands? Or take an existing model and tweak it?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Get a PM2 and be done with it
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

twinboysdad wrote:Get a PM2 and be done with it
He won't be able to use the lock.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I tried posting this the other day but the server was not allowing it for whatever reason.

I have both arthritis and nerve damage that varies as to severity and involvement. What I have found works best for me is knives with largish grips that protect my hands from riding up on the blade. I also need some tackyness in the surface. Stainless steel and most Aluminum just don't work. Plain Titanium is fine though for whatever reason.

I have had great success with the Endura (FRN) as well as Stretch. The size, and ergonomics feel like they were made for my hands. The size and location of the spyder hole are suited to me well enough that I can get them into action faster than an auto ( any brand or style I've found so far). Closing is easy for me as well and I really like the lock back design better than any other. Some of that obviously is familiarity as I have carried Enduras or Stretches later since 92.

Everybody will be different though. People need to be involved in the choice of what knife they carry or it will end up in a drawer somewhere.

No better way to select a knife than actually putting it in your hand and opening and closing it. Cutting things then sharpening round out the attributes that will make or break your selection of a knife. I've had knives that felt pretty darn good but didn't sharpen very easy due to one or another feature. If it's not right at all the things you need try again.

Joe
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Native (3?) has a real chunky and ergonomic handle. You can probably search pics and comparisons if you don't know what I'm talking about. It really fills the hand. I can feel the weather changes, sometimes quite fiercely, and I think it's gonna snow today or something. I wish it was accurate, at least - I'd be a weatherman.
- best wishes, Jazz.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

That Native 3 looks good however there doesn't seem to be any out there.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Native III IS a beefy-handled knife. Country Knives still has them, AFAIK. Another viable option would be the Nilakka: beefy handle and very smooth opener.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately they don't accept Paypal. Plus their price while not outrageous, ends up pretty high after exchange and shipping. I'm thinking I'm going to end up waiting for those new Byrds and go the budget route in case He decides to be the way he is, and not end up using it. Plus if there's a G10 version I might just make some custom thicker scales for it myself. Thanks for the input guys, I know it's hard to make a recommendation for a specific set of injuries/issues.
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

I want to ask if any of us has advice about dealing with pain from arthritis. I know this isn't a forum of doctors, but sometimes you can learn useful info from people suffering from the same disease. Any ideas for dealing with arthritis pain so that sleep is possible, other than using opiates? Thanks for any ideas.
delphidoc

Post by delphidoc »

Nonsteroidals are the mainstay. Find out if you have osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis because the treatment is radically different. My wife has severe RA. She wears wrist and ankle splints at night. PM or email me.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I've had some issues with joint pain in my hands coupled with an old wound where I stabbed the thumb on my dominant hand (long and stupid story), and I have found the Spyderco Military the easiest to operate when my hands hurt the most.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't have full on arthritis but my hands are all jacked up from injuries. My right hand especially, I've broken all my fingers except my thumb and one bone in the back of my hand and all my knuckles are crushed. So far I'm still able to use pretty much any knife I want but I get stiff/sore/numb hands and fingers after using anything for extended periods.

That said, the one knife I remember being really impressed with as far as ease of opening and using was the Vallotton. It isn't the best slicer but it's wonderful to open and feels fantastic in the hand due to the rounded and contoured grip.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

senorsquare wrote:I've had some issues with joint pain in my hands coupled with an old wound where I stabbed the thumb on my dominant hand (long and stupid story), and I have found the Spyderco Military the easiest to operate when my hands hurt the most.
The Military you find easy to open. I wonder how the Manix 2 XL would be to open as this is a BIG knife.

I think this is important for us to discuss as we all face injuries, carpal tunnel, or various types of arthritis as we age. There are also other diseases that make our hands not work as well as in our youth that might crop up.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Doc Dan wrote:The Military you find easy to open. I wonder how the Manix 2 XL would be to open as this is a BIG knife.

I think this is important for us to discuss as we all face injuries, carpal tunnel, or various types of arthritis as we age. There are also other diseases that make our hands not work as well as in our youth that might crop up.
The main reason I liked the military when my hands were hurting is that it is also easy to disengage the lock as there is a nice cut out for lockbar access. I found the CBBL on the S110V Manix difficult to disengage at times when my knuckles were swollen and achy, but I never had an issue with the Millie.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

senorsquare wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:The Military you find easy to open. I wonder how the Manix 2 XL would be to open as this is a BIG knife.

The main reason I liked the military when my hands were hurting is that it is also easy to disengage the lock as there is a nice cut out for lockbar access. I found the CBBL on the S110V Manix difficult to disengage at times when my knuckles were swollen and achy, but I never had an issue with the Millie.
Now here is more useful information. Between you and Delphidoc, a picture is starting to develop. Big handles, easy lock access, easy lock. My wife has a damaged hand and cannot operate most knives one handed. She can, weirdly, use a Dragonfly and a Mini Griptilian with ease. But, knives like the Delica, Endura, and others, she has trouble with. Also, her hands are tiny. Some people really have deformities because of arthritis and other issues and have trouble with knives. A good solution I think we may be able to find.

I wonder if anyone on this forum has relatives or friends with arthritis that can give them a variety of knives to open and see which ones are best for them and report back?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Dad.jpg
Well I was able to get my hands on a Native 3, (Thank you very much Jazz for the generosity!). He really seemed to like it. Usually he's just a grumpy old fart when he gets gifts. Told me how he's always liked knives, and bunch of stories about when he was a kid playing with them. He even promised not to sharpen it on his grind stone, (I can't remember the thread but there's one on here with knives destroyed like his kitchen knives are from overzealous sharpening). Any ways, He was able to open and close it alright, and most importantly, was able to get a good grip on it so hopefully won't cut himself! Thanks to everyone for their input and again a special thank you to Jazz! : )
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You're very welcome. Nice picture. May he use it in good health. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have Spondylitic arthritis which does not affect my hands BUT, Celebrex (generic) and sulfasalazine have kept me able to exercise as regularly as I always have.