Clipitool serrated success

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Clipitool serrated success

Post by ChrisinHove »

My father was an apprenticed tool-maker, was at sea in the '50's with a Chief engineers' ticket in the latter days of steam, and worked out his career as a Chartered Engineer Surveyor.

It was his 86th birthday at the weekend. Arthritis has taken its toll and many fine tasks are now difficult for him.

I wove a long fat key lanyard on a Clipitool for him. He can grasp the fob easily, and can open the blades, and was delighted. He's still a keen gardener, and had always carried a bug-size pocket knife, but now finds nail-nick opening is impossible.

When I told him about Spyderco and your efforts to build and maintain domestic manufacturing, about the use of new and interesting steels, he was sold! This morning his first Spyderco is in his pocket, with his keys attached.

A success, I'd say.
Last edited by ChrisinHove on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
demoncase

Re: Cliplitool serrated success

Post by demoncase »

That's a lovely story. :)
Michael Janich

Re: Cliplitool serrated success

Post by Michael Janich »

Agreed, that's an awesome story. Thank you for making our day!

Stay safe,

Mike
Johnnie1801

Re: Clipitool serrated success

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Nice one Chris!
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

As an aside on last nights FaceTime call, I asked my ol' man how he was getting on with that little penknife...

He loves it! Keeps it on him, because he can open it easily, and "it's b****y sharp!"
Donut

Post by Donut »

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad he likes it.

I find the cliptool to be a little difficult to operate at times.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks for the neat story. :) It's always enjoyable to read stuff like this.
Donut wrote:Thanks for sharing. I'm glad he likes it.

Which one would that be, Brian? I'm just curious, because I'd like to get a few more before too long. (I currently have the SE version). Thanks!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have the bottle opener version. I thought it might knock the Ladyhawk out of my watch pocket but not yet. I always carry a SAK and I have a bottle opener on my keys so it is a little redundant. The Ladyhawk is lighter and easier to open too. The clipitool does see some limited carry though and is a good tool. I like that the bottle opener version has a small screwdriver that can be used for light prying.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Donut

Post by Donut »

SpyderNut wrote:Thanks for the neat story. :) It's always enjoyable to read stuff like this.

Which one would that be, Brian? I'm just curious, because I'd like to get a few more before too long. (I currently have the SE version). Thanks!
I have the bottle opener. The bottle opener isn't horrible to open or close, but the blade can be difficult.

Maybe the OP's Dad is using the Serrated blade more than the plain blade.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

It *was* stiff on arrival so I was careful to give it a good work out and also lubricated it well to "break in" the pivot. It was obviously crucial to ensure it was easy to open; no doubt the long, fat lanyard also helps.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Donut wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Thanks for the neat story. :) It's always enjoyable to read stuff like this.

I have the bottle opener. The bottle opener isn't horrible to open or close, but the blade can be difficult.

Maybe the OP's Dad is using the Serrated blade more than the plain blade.
I understand. Thanks for the info on that. I too really thought that the Clipitool would boot my Manbug/Ladybug out of my EDC rotation, but this had yet to happen. Maybe if the blades/tools had the ability to be locked open?
Donut

Post by Donut »

No problem. I love how small the Cliptool is, I love that it has a clip. I love the choil, though it shortens the blade. (I think it does!) The choil makes it feel like a bigger grip.

The Ladybug makes it seem like a much lesser model with the lock and the light weight.

A hybrid between the two would be pretty sweet.

I will probably buy another one or two if CTS-BD1 is used on the blade, to try it out.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks for the great story. I wonder how he would do with a Manbug or a Dragonfly? Hmmmn. Sounds like the need to buy more Spydercos. ;)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050