Roadie Colors?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knifewing

Roadie Colors?

Post by Knifewing »

My graphic designer wife always accuses me of being borderline color blind. So the choice of a Roadie color is daunting and I really want something other than black or orange for a change. I've looked at a bunch of Roadie photos online and, is it me, or are the red and blue handles kind of washed-out looking? For example, I watched a video of a Roadie unboxing and the guy keeps calling his red Roadie orange, though the box is clearly marked red. And he's right--it does kind of look in-between...Anyway, for those of you who already have this awesome little knife, how true are the handle colors? Are they deep, or pale?
swigert

Re: Roadie Colors?

Post by swigert »

I only have black but I will pick a grey one with my next order. But I like grey I don't do bright stuff often.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Knifewing,

We opted for subdued colors on the Roadie's. The knife is a non threatening; "portable edge" with the handle as an "edge & user protector". Kind of like a minimalistic way to carry a cutting tool while avoiding the concern of others. Relatively invisible and still effective was the goal.

I carry a black one quite often, especially while traveling. That's because they came out first and I',m still putting the model through long term testing. I'll probably grab a gray one eventually.

sal
Almoe66

Post by Almoe66 »

Subdued is a good discriptor. I have the red and while not pale, it would be more on that end of the spectrum. It certainly isn't vibrant or a deep red. When compared to the image in the catalog which I think has a very slight satin hue, the one in hand is slightly more flat. For some reason, given the Roadie's Italian origin, I think red is the perfect color.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

Walt Whitman
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I only have the orange one. It's definitely orange. But I'd describe it as having a bit more red in it than the bright safety orange handles on other FRN models, which does give it a slightly more subtle appearance than most orange models. I like it.
:bug-red-white
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Thanks, Sal, for the explanation of color choice, and to all for their comments. I think I'll go gray this time. Well, I'm already gray...
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

This is the blue one.
Haven't opened my red one yet but I'm hoping for Victorinox / Wenger red...
Attachments
358223.jpg
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

Knifewing wrote:Thanks, Sal, for the explanation of color choice, and to all for their comments. I think I'll go gray this time. Well, I'm already gray...
Post pics if you can. :D
Love different colored handles.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Here's my orange Roadie next to an orange Ladybug to show the color difference.

:bug-red-white
adairjs

Post by adairjs »

I preordered a black one before I realized there'd be other colors. After I got it, I ordered another, in red. To each his own and all that, but I personally think the black looks infinitely better than the red. Don't know exactly why, but the red one looks "cheap" to me.

That said, it is a really nifty little knife, and I carry the black one quite a bit.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I just wanted to follow up and report that my gray Roadie has arrived. The handle color is a nice deep gray--more like the gray FRN color of the old sprint Caly Jr and not as light as, say, the gray G-10 of the sprint Jester or Manbug. Overall, the Roadie is a great, well thought out little knife and has moved right into my pocket rotation. Congratulations, Spyderco, on another winner!
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Knifewing, any chance of a comparison photo of your gray Roadie next to something gray we can all relate to? Thanks.
Knifewing

Re: Roadie Colors? Gray Spydercos Comp Photos

Post by Knifewing »

Hey, hiredgun,

Here are a couple of quick photos of the Spyderco "Grayscale" from my collection. Left to right in the first photo: Caly 3 black G-10; Techno with Ti; Caly Jr. gray FRN; gray Roadie; Jester Sprint gray G-10; and Bradley Air silver Glass Fiber. Closest matches tone-wise to the gray Roadie are (to my eye) the Caly Jr. and the Techno.
SPY Gray1.JPG
SPY Gray2.JPG
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Knifewing,

Thanks for the comparison photos. That's a nice gray on the Roadie.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The grey on the Roadie looks nice. I tend to like darker greys, anyway.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050