most underrated/overlooked spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Re: most underrated/overlooked spydies

Post by SpeedHoles »

bdblue wrote:If what people are saying about the Sage 3 lock is correct, I vote for it to be the most under-appreciated. (I have never seen one.)

Spyderco makes a lot of knives that are a bit unusual and appeal to a limited audience, I don't consider those to be under appreciated. Within their target audience they are probably very appreciated. But knives like the Sage 3 should be more mainstream. I see a little talk about the Sage 1 and 2 but very little about the Sage 3.

It's funny how when you own something you suddenly notice it's appearance elsewhere more often... ;)
I see plenty of buzz around the Sage 3. It's one of the most often and quickly recommend folders for ambidextrous or lefty use, besides the Manix 2.

What's more interesting to me is how MANY of these knives you may consider unusual, or just for a limited audience, actually work well for a broad range of uses and users! That IMO is what overlooking and underrating or under-appreciating is.

Look at Surfingringos recommend of the Lil' Matriarch PE for example. Just a little exclusive knife marketed as a "self-defense" blade, but it actually works awesome for so much more, including what you may call "mainstream" use like the Sage 3. :)

Look at music; maybe you like to limit your regular preferences to mainstream pop music, but you never know, there might be some band out there you might love but you simply overlooked because it was labeled under a different genre.
Going back to Caly.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

SpeedHoles wrote:Look at music; maybe you like to limit your regular preferences to mainstream pop music, but you never know, there might be some band out there you might love but you simply overlooked because it was labeled under a different genre.

I completely understand and you are right- I tend to pick out certain knives that I might be interested in and other knives that for some reason I ignore. I have to understand that what I like might not be what other people like.

It is easy for me to pick out certain knives to like. I mostly ignore lockbacks, and anything under about 3.25" blade length. My primary Spyderco knives are the Para2, Manix 2, Military and Bradley folder. I tend to like knives of this type. But after reading I've found lots of others that I might like, such as the Starmate and Hungarian. To me the Hungarian certainly qualifies as not mainstream, but also looks very useful. There are plenty of others that would probably be useful to me if I gave them a chance. I have so many knives that I like now, it is easy for me to ignore lots of others. Also I'm afraid of finding new knives I will like that will swell my rotation too much and reduce my bank account too much. :) :(

Another thing- I've learned that the goodness and usefulness of Spyderco designs isn't always apparent based on the looks.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Haha yeah I hear that, completely agree at the end there! :p

And yeah, Hungarian is one I've never handled but occasionally hear good things about.
Going back to Caly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

What "bdblue" said truly has some merrit to it>> because I can't tell you in my early Spyder collecting/using days that I would get a new Spyder or aquire one by trade and look at it and say to myself "What The **** Good Is That Blade For?">> then to find out by using it that it's design had much more function in mind than I would realize.

Take the DODO model for instance>> the first one I got back in late 03/early 04 at that time I thought it to be only a novelty type knife but I EDCed one for a week and I was blown away at how functional and useful that particular model was. I also thought most of Spyderco's Hawkbills to be the same way>> that is more or less mall ninja or novelty type blades until I started carrying and using them>> much to my most pleasant surprise I now find them so useful that I carry one as a companion blade most of the time.

I think the point "bdblue" is trying to make is when it comes to Spyderco in most cases looks are definitely deceiving.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bdblue wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Look at music; maybe you like to limit your regular preferences to mainstream pop music, but you never know, there might be some band out there you might love but you simply overlooked because it was labeled under a different genre.

I completely understand and you are right- I tend to pick out certain knives that I might be interested in and other knives that for some reason I ignore. I have to understand that what I like might not be what other people like.

It is easy for me to pick out certain knives to like. I mostly ignore lockbacks, and anything under about 3.25" blade length. My primary Spyderco knives are the Para2, Manix 2, Military and Bradley folder. I tend to like knives of this type. But after reading I've found lots of others that I might like, such as the Starmate and Hungarian. To me the Hungarian certainly qualifies as not mainstream, but also looks very useful. There are plenty of others that would probably be useful to me if I gave them a chance. I have so many knives that I like now, it is easy for me to ignore lots of others. Also I'm afraid of finding new knives I will like that will swell my rotation too much and reduce my bank account too much. :) :(

Another thing- I've learned that the goodness and usefulness of Spyderco designs isn't always apparent based on the looks.
Yep. This exactly.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am surprised that nobody has said Swick, especially Lance. I have both the Swick3 and Swick4 and while I do not carry them as often as my folders I always bring it with me fishing or hiking. I superbly functional design that just hasn't gained enough traction. BTW, if all Golden models are getting the S110V treatment does that mean I am gonna get an S110V Swick?

Mr. Blonde brings up a good point, I don't think that most of the fixed blade Spydies are getting the love they deserve.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

Being the OP of this thread i just want to thank everyone that is chiming in. Being new to the forum and new to Spyderco i am learning alot about various models i had no knowledge of. thanks to everyone and keep the discussion going.
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am surprised that nobody has said Swick, especially Lance. I have both the Swick3 and Swick4 and while I do not carry them as often as my folders I always bring it with me fishing or hiking. I superbly functional design that just hasn't gained enough traction. BTW, if all Golden models are getting the S110V treatment does that mean I am gonna get an S110V Swick?

Mr. Blonde brings up a good point, I don't think that most of the fixed blade Spydies are getting the love they deserve.
Not just the SWICK because there are a bunch of high end Spyderco fixed blades that get no respect>> The Temperance 1 model that I love so well hardly ever gets any fanfare but the people that I've talked to including Cliff Stamp that own and presumably use the Temperance 1 model all seem to like and appreciate it very much. I've wanted so badly to see it reintroduced in the H-1 Salt Series and have it available in PE & SE just like the original VG-10 model was.

The STREETBEAT, Original RONIN, VAGABOND and even the Moran they just simply don't seem to garner much respect for whatever reason. But I don't think there is one person here in Spyderville that would say anything bad about Spyderco's fixed blades.

Another thing to consider is that the fixed blade market is a lot smaller than the folder market is>> and that might account for it's lack of fanfare.
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

i mentioned it before but in catching up on last weeks episode of Gotham i noticed the valloton. been wanting one but havent pulled the trigger.
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

I'm not sure if this falls in the overrated or overlooked category but the Gayle Bradley Air is a great pocket knife. The M4 steel and the blade shape together make a small but mean cutting machine. I have had mine for a couple of months now and it's always in the front right pocket.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are three perenial Spyderco models that stay in the main line year after year but it seems like you don't hear much fanfare about the POLICE, HARPY and the RESCUE models. They don't seem to get the rock star status that a lot of Spyderco's models have received over the years>> but for whatever reason they sell so well and maintain enough demand to be permanent fixtures in Spyderco's main line up.

Now the H-1 Salt Series slowly but surely is getting more and more popular and more understood as time goes by. I have no doubt that Surfingringo's BLADE magazine article is going to give the entire Salt Series a big boost. With H-1 being truly rustproof I think most of the knife buying public tend to believe that it's just too good to be true>> and many times huge claims about products do tend to be exaggerated but H-1 is what they say it is I've personally put them to the test and they performed extremely well and corrosion was absolutely no factor at all.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

Spyderco Cat seems pretty underrated, its an awesome little knife.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Chokwe...every time I use it I'm reminded of why I love it so much. Definitely in my top 5...maybe even top 3. It looks like it should be uncomfortable ergonomically, but it is EASILY one of the most ergonomic and comfortable knives I've ever used.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Under appreciated: the "value" models — Ambitious, Persistence and Tenacious.

Good steel, good action and lockup. Very good ergonomics and materials. Quality construction. Inexpensive. Heavier, by a couple of ounces, than models costing many times more but as effective and useful. Under appreciated for certain.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Native 5 light weight
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Chokwe...every time I use it I'm reminded of why I love it so much. Definitely in my top 5...maybe even top 3. It looks like it should be uncomfortable ergonomically, but it is EASILY one of the most ergonomic and comfortable knives I've ever used.

Yeah, agree with that.

Have you tried a JD Smith? I just picked one up, a Sprint, but haven't put it to much use yet so can't say much about it at this point... But I feel it is like a Chokwe with a more profiled handle and a backlock. Very nice and slick slicer with some reach!
Going back to Caly.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'd love a JD Smith, and have passively been on the lookout for one for quite a while (Not looking every day, but probably once every few weeks). Thus far I've been unlucky, but I may yet find one to add to my rotation. My knives are users though so I'd want either the grey VG-10 sprint in PE, or an older full serrated model. I'll take what I can find though if budget allows.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I reckon the Dice deserves more praise. A knife often overlooked and in the the shadow of the Techno. Very good EDC blade :)

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
nextknife

Post by nextknife »

Sage 3 and 4 - perfect size and weight. Are they overlooked - absolutely. Why? Cuz they've been around for a while and there haven't been many changes or news about them. They keep discontinuing these - so the must be overlooked / not selling.

Sage4 cuz of the solid lockup.. Sounds like a safe closing when this locks up - such a solid knife. Just been discontinued so now is the time to buy one if you are interested.

Sage3 cuz of the smooth opening, weight, easiest best axis lock I own.. Have both G10 and CF and carry the Sage 3 more than any other in the collection.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Chokwe...every time I use it I'm reminded of why I love it so much. Definitely in my top 5...maybe even top 3. It looks like it should be uncomfortable ergonomically, but it is EASILY one of the most ergonomic and comfortable knives I've ever used.
The CHOKWE truly was a great design and it reminded me a great deal of my beloved JD Smith model. Oh I know they are different in a lot of ways but the blade geometry is quite similar.

The one issue I believe that shot the CHOKWE in the foot was the fact that they didn't offer it in other variants like Spyderedge, different handles, different blade steels and so forth. I do believe if they brought back the CHOKWE in one of these new supersteels I'm sure it would sell out fast. it's already considered a collector's gem and not many come up for trade or sale anymore.

I would love a Chokwe in a Micarta handle with S90V.