Knifeworks M4 PM2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Galen

Re: Knifeworks M4 PM2!!

Post by Galen »

Hi, why so excited about steel that rusts so easily? Will it be coated?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Galen wrote:Hi, why so excited about steel that rusts so easily? Will it be coated?
Depending on your location and use it may or may not rust easily. I have a Bradley folder that I bought new and it still looks like new. I have a Manix 2 with M4 blade that I bought used. It came with a light patina on it and has not changed since then.

If you drop it in the bottom of your boat and leave it for 6 months, it will rust. If you take reasonable care of it it will not. I had an old toolbox that I had not opened for about 25 years. I opened it the other day to check on the spare tools that I knew were in there and found an old slipjoint knife that I forgot I had, and yes the knife had rusted. I did some quick and dirty cleaning to see what the real condition was and found that I could clean it up pretty well if I really wanted to. 25 years in my garage is a long time.

As for why people are excited, M4 is a very good steel. It is not all that hard to sharpen but holds an edge very well and it is tougher than average.
Galen

Post by Galen »

I understand. It does sharpen well and hold a keen edge for quite a bit for me BUT I do not like the extra maintenance such as cleaning and oiling to avoid corrosion. I can get the same performance from one of several stainless but to each his own.

People might end up fighting over availability once it comes out, to those collectors I say good luck. To users who end up missing out, there are other options of this model that are stainless which will work just as well.

I do not like a blade coating but that's the only way M4 makes sense to me.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Galen wrote:I understand. It does sharpen well and hold a keen edge for quite a bit for me BUT I do not like the extra maintenance such as cleaning and oiling to avoid corrosion. I can get the same performance from one of several stainless but to each his own.

People might end up fighting over availability once it comes out, to those collectors I say good luck. To users who end up missing out, there are other options of this model that are stainless which will work just as well.

I don't know that there are para 2's that will work just as well. Maybe some of the older exclusive/sprints, but you will have to pay a lot more to get one, if you can even find them for sale.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Galen

Post by Galen »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Galen wrote:I understand. It does sharpen well and hold a keen edge for quite a bit for me BUT I do not like the extra maintenance such as cleaning and oiling to avoid corrosion. I can get the same performance from one of several stainless but to each his own.

I don't know that there are para 2's that will work just as well. Maybe some of the older exclusive/sprints, but you will have to pay a lot more to get one, if you can even find them for sale.
They will work just as well performance wise and work lightyears better corrosion wise.

I checked the dealer's price of $240. I have seen the 204P and M390 go for between $200 and $300. I purchased my used 20CP for $225 last year.

The standard issue S30v models along with the XHP and Elmax are no slouches either and are cheaper with no worries of rust and corrosion.

It may be important to collectors but I just wanted to point out that you really are not missing anything if you strike out as actual user.
Last edited by Galen on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

M4 maintenance is quick and simple. A shot of Breakfree CLP on a rag for example. Wipe the blade down. Shoot some into the pivot area. Just a few seconds each week.

I live in a very humid climate. I have no rust. M4 is quickly becoming another of my favored steels.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hmm 225 for a used knife doesn't sit well with me. Nice knife though.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

M4 is the only steel I've had rust issues with, even when trying to protect them with Tuf-Glide, etc. (aside from one VG-10 knife that came to me used with some rust spots). Not being a steel nut, and mostly using my knives to open mail, I also prefer a good stainless. But my Para 2 sprint/exclusive collection will remain complete with this release. The Tuf-Glide will just have to work overtime on this one. :)
:bug-red-white
DJ

Post by DJ »

Am I the only one thats lookin forward to the Titanium military ??
I hope it comes out first.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I only have the Bradley models in m4 and have had no rust and almost no patina with quite a bit of use and carry. We have some humidity in the Midwest as well. This does not seem like a rust prone steel to me.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

DJ wrote:Am I the only one thats lookin forward to the Titanium military ??
I hope it comes out first.
The ti Military is the only one with no new elements in it. There have already been peel-ply CF Millies, there's been a ti RIL, and there've been S90V Millies before. Plus, the price is by far the highest. I'll be passing for all those reasons. But for those who haven't had any of those previous runs, it will be great!
:bug-red-white
DJ

Post by DJ »

But its a frame lock ........... my fav knife ........LOL
I have the M-4 Ti mili and its great too...........
Iam just a framelock freak ...........lol
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

I wish KW would've stepped the ti Military up to S110V. Nothing wrong with S90V(great steel)but it already been done a couple of times on the Millie.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Anyone else get emails from Knifeworks today? I thought they were the notifications for the pre-order going live but it was a duplicate of the original email I got when I signed up to be notified about the pre-order.

Phew, I'm not ready for these to become available.

@liquid_cobra
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I did, although this is the first email I've gotten, so I took it as confirmation that I'll be notified.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I have the following in CPM-M4 uncoated blades: Bradley, Military and Manix 2. I'm from Oregon (currently in UT) and have used all of them pretty regularly, I never oil any of my blades, if I use them for food prep I rinse them off, shake them out and put them back in my pocket. I've never had any rust on any of mine, not even a decent patina really.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Bile Bob wrote:I wish KW would've stepped the ti Military up to S110V. Nothing wrong with S90V(great steel)but it already been done a couple of times on the Millie.
+1
FDE

Post by FDE »

michaelm466 wrote:

I have the following in CPM-M4 uncoated blades: Bradley, Military and Manix 2. I'm from Oregon (currently in UT) and have used all of them pretty regularly, I never oil any of my blades, if I use them for food prep I rinse them off, shake them out and put them back in my pocket. I've never had any rust on any of mine, not even a decent patina really.
Same experience here with my Gayle Bradley and Gayle Bradley Air. I use my Air for food prep nearly everyday during the week and it doesn't get rinsed until I get home 8+ hours later. Never any oil and havent had so much as a speck of rust.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I have rusted my GB due to sweat. You'd have to follow the link to photobucket and enlarge it to see all the fine specks, but it was coated in a mist of my eccrine secretions which freckled the blade pretty thoroughly. They polished off for the most part, but the bigger spots can still be seen in the form of a patina.

Food doesn't seem to affect it, as it's either wiped off or dries up pretty quickly outside my pocket. But sustained moisture (sitting in my pocket under my ski pants during some intense tree skiing) will get to it. I find it less stainless than most steels Spyderco uses, with Super Blue probably being the only exception.

But who cares? It's good stuff! Polishing off rust specks just means more time spent with your beautiful knife, and more character on the blade!
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

I blued my M4 Manix 2 (after it rusted) and rust hasn't been seen again including a sweaty day last summer rebuilding a deer stand in fairly humid WI (yes wisconsin can get hot/humid, it doesn't last long but the humidity is rough)