Kris score

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Kris score

Post by tvenuto »

As I mentioned in the "what's in the mail" thread, I scored a Schempp Kris off of ebay recently. Thanks to an ambiguous title, there was no bidding frenzy and it stayed in a reasonable price-range. The description said "used and well-loved" but I actually didn't find much evidence of use on the knife. The edge appears to be factory, and the only damage is some scratches on the presentation side of the bolster, which can be seen in the pics, and a scuff or two on the micarta on that same side. There is also a slight imperfection in the material that fits between the micarta and the bolster on the presentation side, but again you probably don't notice it in the pictures. Thus, I actually don't think it was really used much, since I would think that the bolster wear would be nearly equal, and the clip side bolster is virtually untouched. Also, the clip itself shows no wear (the silver looking areas are actually reflection).

General condition aside, let me say that this is one gorgeous piece. This could be passed off as art in my opinion, just a phenomenal looking tool. The opening hole is a bit small, and the self-close is solid but not in a bad way. Also, when opening you are required to deliberately move it through its arc due to the way the opening hole is tucked back behind the bolster. However, I wouldn't call it hard to open, just not a fast deploy by any means. It opens smoothly, and snaps into place solidly, with no hint of play in any direction. The lockbar is flush with the scales in both the open and closed position, which is more of a feat than most people realize. I also noticed that when depressed to unlock, the blade unlocks at the moment the boye dent is flush with the cut-out, which adds a nice feel to unlocking it as the pressure against your thumb pad suddenly disappears. Unfortunately I didn't think to snap any pics of the spine, but most seams are almost invisible, however there is a slight gap on one side of the lockbar in the bolster area. I believe that centering is spot on (although I didn't scrutinize that).

Fans of bolstered knives will recognize this as truly an example to emulate. The pivot is hidden, and the knife almost appears to have been grown on a plant, so complete is the mystery of how its parts are actually held together. The pins are little more than silver dots, which could be mistaken for purely decorative appointments, and the only evidence of fastening is the 3 screws retaining the clip. Truth be told, the clip is almost an eyesore on this knife, but that's more a statement on the beauty of the design itself than any shortcomings of the clip. Kudos to spyderco for having the guts to only offer one clip position; I feel compelled to shrive any sins committed by the clip due to the lack of extraneous holes.

The blade only serves to reinforce the organic nature of the knife itself. There is not a straight line to be found on it, and many of the lines to not match perfectly, but there is little doubt that everything is exactly as it was meant to be. This is a collector numbered knife (I believe), and along with that number the blade sports the Schempp logo, the Spyderco name, the country of origin and steel, and most interestingly a golden colored Spyder. How this effect was achieved, or how common this was on past designs, I'm unsure, but I find it to be a nice touch.

Overall, this knife is very comfortable in the hand, if a bit heavy in the handle, but not so much that it feels ungainly. To stretch the organic description to its limit, grasping the Kris feels like holding a worn and gnarled tree branch that just happens to fit your hand perfectly. The thorn-like blade undulates slightly downward, a classic Schempp touch, and the thumb may rest either behind or in front of the bolster hump.

Overall, I'm totally in love with the Kris. The only downsides I see to this design are its heft, and the fact that it's almost too pretty to use. Handling this knife has almost assured that I'll be purchasing the Bowie, since they seem to be cut from the same cloth, although I really do love the backlock. I think a sprint of this knife would sell phenomenally well, although I fear it would be expensive to produce, and I'm not actually sure what you'd change other than a different color of G10 or something (polished, a requirement). Anyway, enough talking, onto the pics...

Last edited by tvenuto on Mon May 04, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
chuckd

Re: Kris score

Post by chuckd »

Lucky guy! I have been wanting one of these for a few years now, and wish a sprint could come around!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Nice score! I love the Kris. And if you like it, you'll definitely like the Schempp Bowie. To me, it handles like a slightly more refined Kris.

:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That KRIS is one of the very few older classics I never got my hands on unfortunately :( But I would take a used one in a heartbeat. I've actually grown fond of many of Spyderco's recurve blades with the SPYKER being at the top of my list.

That was a really decent grab of an older classid. And I do like the construction on all of the Ed Schempp knives. That will be an interesting beast to sharpen I'm sure. Let us know how it functions in day to day cutting chores.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

chuckd wrote:Lucky guy! I have been wanting one of these for a few years now, and wish a sprint could come around!
Oh I'm well aware, my friend. I was refreshing the auction obsessively probably 3 days before it closed just to be sure there were no other bidders! Someone came in at the last min, but my max bid withstood their feeble attempt to wrest it from me. I checked previously sold auctions, and the only other one I found went for 50% more and was far more beat up than the one I snagged. If you dodge the pitfalls, ebay has some gems to be found.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Great score. I agree you can get a good deal on Ebay if your patient and lucky.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Did a quick search and found this on the gold colored spyder.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I am jealous! I've been looking for one of those on and off for a couple of years because I like the design so much, but have yet been unsuccessful at finding one that is reasonably priced. Congrats on a great score!
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
paladin

Post by paladin »

Yes...she's a beauty...congrats, you landed one of the top 10 widely produced Spyders to hunt down, IMHO...

The heft & blade shape is a concern for EDC...sharpening on the corners of the Sharpmaker rods would help...but I like using the flats to refine my edges
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Congrats on a great score! Ed Schempp is a genius and for me that quality shines brightest in the Kris. His ability to faithfully maintain the spirit of the ethnic design while packing it into a fully functional modern folder is extraordinary.

Enjoy!

Stay safe,

Mike
JD Spydo

KRIS: Sprint Run?

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm just wondering what our chances would be of having the KRIS for a Sprint Run??? It's been discontinued for a really long time and I bet with the craving that a lot of newer and old school fans have for this model I bet it would sell like Led Zeppelin tickets.

And they could do a ditto of the original model as far as that goes>> however I wouldn't object to a revamped version either. Of all the disco'd recurve models This KRIS and the Spyker are the best ones they have IMO. Just a thought.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

A Kris sprint would be great. Something like the red Persian sprint. But I hope they don't do the black G-10 slabs with FFG, like the Persians.
:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

gbelleh wrote:A Kris sprint would be great. Something like the red Persian sprint. But I hope they don't do the black G-10 slabs with FFG, like the Persians.
OH I agree I would want it just like the original was>> unless they wanted to use one of the new steels or if they wanted to change the color of the handle/scales>> I could live with that. The KRIS is truly one of the more unique Spyders. For all of you who are fortunate enough to have gotten one I'm wondering what people would use it for the most. It doesn't look like an ideal EDC>> but what the heck do I know because I said the same thing about the DODO model and I was sure fooled as to how great of an EDC it was.

It would be another interesting model to have serrations. I'm wondering if a Micarta handle or CF would be good for a Sprint of the KRIS?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've been asking for a Kris sprint for a couple years. Every time someone starts a thread asking what sprints we want to see, I suggest a red Kris to match the large Persian run. And as long as we're at it, might as well do a red small Persian to finish the set. :D
Last edited by jabba359 on Mon May 04, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I have to agree that a slab g10 version, though undoubtedly easier and cheaper to make, would take the soul right out of this model. It really begs for the smooth, contoured, handle. I know many felt this way with the Persian sprint, and I can see why after handling this model.

I know it's not Spyderco's preference to use micarta anymore, especially when coming from overseas, but I think a smooth/polished G10 would work just fine. I'm unsure whether or not this was a Seki or Moki model, and I know that the Moki capabilities have been reduced recently, so I wonder if it's even plausible to make this one exactly as is at the moment. Although I don't think slab g10 would be successful, I would be open to modernizing it with screw construction if that couldn't be avoided. Perhaps red g10 handle with a black g10 bolster? Could that be a way of retaining the feel of the original without making things prohibitively costly or complicated?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice score. I'm kind of an oversized choil hater, so I'm glad YOU have it.

I hope you enjoy it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Uncanny how similar it is to the Bowie in Gino's picture, it sure looks nice, is this blade shape hard to sharpen? I would imagine on the sharpmaker its not too bad but I wonder if it could be sharpened on an edge pro or wicked edge. Regardless, I would definitely snap one up if I ran across it, great score I'm sure you will enjoy having it and will make a fine addition to your collection.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Congrats on the fine score!! The Micrata handles are sweet!

Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I love my Kris.

ImageKris Full Length Front by pinetreebbs, on Flickr

ImageKris Full Length Back by pinetreebbs, on Flickr
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Even before you posted that, I was considering looking for an engraver...