Congrats, Surfingringo!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Congrats, Surfingringo!

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is worth tracking down for sure. They carry it at the SFO and I checked it out while just loitering in there. I'm such a geek and I spend way too much time in there just fondling and ogling knives. :o :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Donut wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone know where I could pick up a hard copy in the U.S.? I am visiting a friend in Utah next week and would like to see an actual magazine. Does Wal Mart carry Blade? Anyone know?
I will take a look at Walmart and get back to you.

According to a thread on BF, either: Sporting Goods/Outdoors stores or Borders or Barnes and Noble (book stores).
Hey Brian, I was up in the states last week and found the magazine at Barnes and Noble. We also saw it in a couple of convenience stores...I want to say 7-11, but may have been somewhere else. Thanks for checking.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm definitely going down to my local B&N bookstore to snag this latest issue of BLADE. I have no doubt that our good brother Surfingringo is a great ambassador not only for the Spyderedge but for the H-1 Salt Series as well. I can't wait to read this most interesting article.

I'm also anxious to see how this new nitrogen based steel that they are using in the TUSK model is comparing to H-1 which we all know is a great blade steel for harsh environments>> especially salt water environments which have traditionally been terrible on most knife blade steels.

The H-1 Salt Series should be in every fisherman's tackle box and I so much wish they would bring back the Catcherman in the H-1 Salt Series and make in avaiable in full Spyderedge and use the same pattern that they had when the Catcherman was made with AUS-8 blade steel.

Glad to see that BLADE is having more articles on hard use knives like the H-1 Salt Series.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Surfingringo wrote:
Donut wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone know where I could pick up a hard copy in the U.S.? I am visiting a friend in Utah next week and would like to see an actual magazine. Does Wal Mart carry Blade? Anyone know?
I will take a look at Walmart and get back to you.

According to a thread on BF, either: Sporting Goods/Outdoors stores or Borders or Barnes and Noble (book stores).
Hey Brian, I was up in the states last week and found the magazine at Barnes and Noble. We also saw it in a couple of convenience stores...I want to say 7-11, but may have been somewhere else. Thanks for checking.
No problem at all. Good to hear.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

I just found the issue with Lance's article @ B & N. Bravo Zulu !
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I finally got the July Issue of BLADE Yesterday ( Friday, May 01, 2015) and just that article alone was well worth it. But it was one of the better overall issues of BLADE that I've had in a while. There were a few really good and timely articles in that July issue of BLADE.

I even showed it to three of the guys I work with including my boss who is now a 100% convert to Spyderco blades. But Surfingringo did a superb job and I'm sure glad we got his great input here on the Spyderville Forum :cool:

I wish he would test out this newer TUSK model with that newer nitrogen based steel>> I'm curious how it compares to H-1. Again it was a great article and I hope he does more with BLADE magazine.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Bravo Salt knives. That article should help a lot. Cool to see your modded Pacific in a magazine. Keep up the good work, bro. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Finally made it to Barnes & Noble and they didn't have one, or any other knife magazine that I could find. I'll hit the other stores and if necessary go back after they get their mags straightened up.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DougC-3 wrote:Finally made it to Barnes & Noble and they didn't have one, or any other knife magazine that I could find. I'll hit the other stores and if necessary go back after they get their mags straightened up.
I've noticed that with Barnes & Noble it seems like when they get a specialty magazine like BLADE that many times they only get 3 or 4 of them and unfortunately many times they sell out quickly. I remember about 10 years ago before the BACKWOODSMAN got popular with the mainstream it was hard to snag a copy of that mag at times. But my local B&N store only gets BLADE and Knives Illustrated and they go quick.

There are other magazine vendors who are taking the "politically correct" route and tend not to carry gun or knife magazines. You can't buy hardly any gun or knife magazine at most of the convenience stores here in KC unfortunately.

There is another knife magazine you might want to submit that article to>> they are called "KNIFE WORLD" out of Tennesee USA.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Donut wrote:Lance might have to submit an article to "Outdoor Life" just to make it easier on himself. :p
It's hard to imagine anybody more qualified to be an Outdoor Life writer, if that might be what Lance wanted to do... he could practically just write down daily journal entries and submit 'em every few days ;) (lucky stiff :( )
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Jim, I totally read your article before this and enjoyed it. I didn't see your name at first. Of course I saw Spydies and was interested. This is the May/June one.
- best wishes, Jazz.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Awesome. I just saw a copy at The new Bass Pro Megastore here in Memphis last week. Thinking about actually getting a subscription soon.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Books A Million usually has a couple knife publications...
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Jazz wrote:Jim, I totally read your article before this and enjoyed it. I didn't see your name at first. Of course I saw Spydies and was interested. This is the May/June one.

Thanks. :)