Sal, is this even possible? (Caly 3.5 content)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Sal, is this even possible? (Caly 3.5 content)

Post by Doc Dan »

mastiff wrote:I bought a Caly 3.5 G-10 on the many recommendations of the folks here, even though it came gritty with the lock and pivot full of hair like pieces of G-10 I'd buy it again. That is the only "manufacturing issue" that I've seen or read about, the amount of threads about this are somewhat abundant. Jeez, fixing that would take blowing the handle out after milling with an air compressor. If that was the reason and the factory couldn't do that then it deserved to be shut down.

I only carry it on Sundays sharing duty with my Sage 3, even with the 3.5" blade it doesn't scare the sheeple. I'm not a knife afi, but I can still appreciate a genius design. It isn't my favorite but I like the design a lot. That larger size blade slipping into a handle the size of a Delica just tickles me every time I get it out. More designs like this would be great!

I quite like the backlock, but I've been told that I'm getting old. Backlocks have been the sturdiest locks I've used and my old Buck stood up very well so I trust them more than some easier to use and possibly better or stronger locks. I'd be perfectly happy with it using the same backlock. I'd move the finger guard placement towards the pivot by .05" or .10" and it would be perfect. That's just because my mitts are a little larger and I like to keep my pointer behind a guard. Even if it wasn't changed, I'd surely be happy to get another. I say bring it to Golden!
Yes. The strongest lock on the market is currently a back lock. Liner locks and frame locks are just not up to the same level of tasks, in my experience. The back lock may be an old design but the new iterations are very strong, indeed. With a Spyderco, it is easy to close one handed, too. I also like the fact that this lock does not require a so called detent to keep it closed in one's pocket. My wife carries a Spyderco back lock to this day because she had an expensive liner lock open in her purse. I have them open in my pocket and had them fail opening large containers. So, I am happy with the 3.5 lock back design. I also like that big pivot. It reeks of strength and yet is super slim. It is as slim as a Leek, in fact.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Yes, I'm all for this!

Or just get Moki to start reproducing them in Super Blue and watch them fly off the shelves.
Going back to Caly.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Doc Dan makes some very good points about the back lock design. It may not be as flashy or sexy as other locks but it certainly has its benefits and is more than capable of getting the job done.

Speedholes is right too. More super blue. Super blue all day long please.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

bh49 wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:if I recall, the G10 Caly 3.5 was disco'ed because of a manufacturer issue.
I cannot recall any manufacturing issues. Caly3.5 ZDP189 still in production. VG10 variant was discontinued like most of discontinued knives due to insufficient sale. I love the knife and own two of them.
I can recall only one Sal's comment on this topic, the same as Darby mentioned before.
bearfacedkiller wrote:Sal has stated that the Caly 3.5 was more of an afi's knife so I don't think it was as successful with the masses as it is with us knife nuts. Blows my mind.
Sal also commented that there is no enough room for screws in Caly.
Hopefully we will see sprint.
I enjoy my Caly 3.5 and would love other options (missed out on the SB Caly3.5 :( )
A nice dark green G10 or dark blue G10 (non-smurf) with the nice diamond cut pattern with any other boutique steel would peak my interest - either a new Japanese stainless or M4 equivalent. I don't care where it comes from .......if the current maker is not able to accommodation the growth of new design steels and scale material then sure.......move it to a factory that can ......wherever it might be.

If it is a good fit at Golden then why not? But then again, I'm sure that Spyderco has business relationships to think of and they will do what is best for them and their makers.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Surfingringo wrote:Sweet! I'll take my caly 3.5 with a liner lock and a blacked out, 4.5", partially serrated, H1 Wharncliffe!! And go ahead and make it a flipper too!
This made me laugh quite a bit just now. I even woke up the dog. Poor girl.

But yeah, I'd love to see it come back some day. I always wanted a Super Blue Caly, either size. I finally landed a 3, but now that I've experienced it, I want 0.5 more of it! I'd love to see a new sprint in a different color and steel, something unique. Where's that forum knife thread again?

Edit: I laughed again. My dog is mad at you Gringo.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

twinboysdad wrote:Do those of you not wanting the Caly 3.5 AS IS even own one? Changing any of the sum of its parts would be an abomination. It ceases to be a Caly 3.5. You would be sacrificing the thinness to change the lock. To me this knife is superior to the Native G10 and no one ever says anything about changing it.
I do not own one because I almost totally refuse to buy lockback knives, so I can't directly compare it with anything that I own.

If the Cali 3.5 is named after its blade length, then it must be somewhat similar to the PM2 in size. So how does it compare to the PM2 and if I have a PM2 and like it, why would I be interested in the Cali.

People were mentioning making the Cali thicker by including liners, does it not already have liners?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

bdblue wrote:
People were mentioning making the Cali thicker by including liners, does it not already have liners?
Mine does.

I think the thicker comment was about a lock change, no? That makes sense, because different locks might require different dimensions to operate properly. Though I'm not sure many locks wouldn't fit in the space already there. Maybe the CBBL or something might need more width. Wait, why I am I encouraging this? Leave well enough alone! :mad:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

PayneTrain wrote:
bdblue wrote:
Mine does.

I think the thicker comment was about a lock change, no? That makes sense, because different locks might require different dimensions to operate properly. Though I'm not sure many locks wouldn't fit in the space already there. Maybe the CBBL or something might need more width. Wait, why I am I encouraging this? Leave well enough alone! :mad:
Yes, it was about a suggested lock change. The Caly is, incredibly, as thin as the Chaparral. There is not much room for another lock of any value.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It has also been stated that in order to make it screw construction it would have to be made thicker. This is why I suggested the ti or frn option. They could be linerless and maybe be screw construction while staying the same thickness. I was really just thinking out loud.

If the UKPK is the same handle as the Caly3 then I do not see why it would be all that hard to make a frn Caly3 using the UKPK scales. You would have to add one more hole to the scales for the lock bar pivot but thats it and if it was linerless like the UKPK it could be the same thickness. Plus if you did this in Golden you could make it midnight blue with S110V like the rest.

I can't be the only person who would buy a Midnight Blue Caly3 LW in S110V. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The Caly 3.5 is basically "almost an Endura blade in almost a Delica handle". The PM2's handle footprint dwarfs the C3.5 and for a serious hard use cutter, I am sure the PM2 would be better. But for an EDC in business casual work attire, the wire clipped C3.5 is without equal. The blade to handle ratio is much better on the C3.5 if that matters to you
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It has also been stated that in order to make it screw construction it would have to be made thicker.
I see that now. Huh. I wonder why that is. My Ladybug has screws.

Anyway, I'm not for a FRN Caly. Mayyybe Ti if I have the money to burn, but I'm not aching for it. I like the Caly JUST the way it is. Except for the discontinued part, they can certainly improve upon that.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

twinboysdad wrote:The Caly 3.5 is basically "almost an Endura blade in almost a Delica handle". The PM2's handle footprint dwarfs the C3.5 and for a serious hard use cutter, I am sure the PM2 would be better. But for an EDC in business casual work attire, the wire clipped C3.5 is without equal. The blade to handle ratio is much better on the C3.5 if that matters to you
I like the longer blade but one of the reasons I buy a larger blade is to get a larger handle. I own a Delica, one of my exceptions to the "no lockback" rule, but its handle is too small for me. I EDC my PM2, and larger, to my office in business casual work attire. I even carry my PM2 in suit pants. I understand that many people like the smaller knives, and I would like to feel one to feel what it's like, but apparently I prefer slightly larger handles. One of my first EDC's was a BM mini-AFCK. It has a relatively small handle compared to some of my current EDC knives, maybe it is in the size range of the Cali.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The Caly 3 Super Blue and 3.5 CF laminated ZDP 189 were among the first few spydies I got and maybe that's one reason they're special to me and among my top few faves. Don't have any in VG-10 but would love that too, especially if in different scale material or colors. I love the thinness of these and the super discreet very deep carry of the wire clips. I don't consider myself a backlock person but wouldn't dream of seeing these changed. Like twinboysdad said, they wouldn't be Caly's anymore. The 3 in super blue doubles as a great paring knife--it's a lot of fun to see it develop a patina in miniutes right before your eyes as you use it--and the 3.5 is the most blade you can get in such a tiny package when discretion is important. They're quite unique in my experience. Screws maybe if the knives stay thin.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

ManixFan wrote: I enjoy my Caly 3.5 and would love other options
+1
ManixFan wrote:A nice dark green G10 with the nice diamond cut pattern
At this poin steel will be irrelevant for me. I want this knife :)
If made in Golden, I will be in for two.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
ManixFan wrote: I enjoy my Caly 3.5 and would love other options
+1
ManixFan wrote:A nice dark green G10 with the nice diamond cut pattern
At this poin steel will be irrelevant for me. I want this knife :)
If made in Golden, I will be in for two.
Yes, I very much agree Roman. We'll said.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sal, have you stumbled across this perhaps?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

A very dark green would be nice, I agree. Not Crayola green. A serious dark blue would be good, also.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

twinboysdad wrote:Sal, have you stumbled across this perhaps?
He hasn't made an appearance for a few days. Maybe he's on a well deserved vacation!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Doc Dan wrote:A very dark green would be nice, I agree. Not Crayola green.
The same color as Forum Native and Worker for me. :)
sal

Post by sal »

Not likely, certainly not in the near future. We have plenty to build in Golden with the new models already planned.

sal