Do I need a Para-military 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: Do I need a Para-military 2?

Post by spyderg »

I actually got a good deal on a Yojimbo 2, (I love wharncliffes) so I am now familiar with the lock. I have to disagree with it being easier lefty than a right ril or liner though. (maybe just the way my hand/thumb is shaped) I wouldn't say it's hard to do but the ril's and liner are super easy lefty. And as far as right hand ril's go, I actually feel they are better suited to left handed people as the way you grip, especially while say carving a notch actually forces the lock closed tighter and leaves no chance of the lock slipping. Mind you I don't personally know anyone who has had that style of lock fail on them right or left. (I have a lefty CRK and no issues with a lefty RIL) Speedholes, Yeah I doubt it will be a noticeable difference if there is any at all, but even if it makes it a smidgen lighter, so much the better. Mastiff, I've never sold a knife and don't plan on it anytime soon so that is why I've held off on this one but with an m4 version on it's way, as long as I can get one, this will be the one.( I really like my GB) Oh and I have a Caly 3.5 zdp and love it, It is my usual edc but does feel a tad fragile, (I tend to be very rough on my things), I'm sure it's tougher than I give it credit for. It's a funny thing with Spyderco, You always want another! I own a number of other brands and have very little desire for more of their products, not that I don't like them but ZT for example doesn't offer me anything more than my 550 in their other models. They are either not different enough, less capable or ugly imo. Same with the others but Spyderco always seems to peak my interest with different steels, ergos for different situations, interesting style, handle choices and collaborations. I think the only thing I don't like about Spyderco knives is having to wait for them, sometimes the anticipation part is kinda fun. ; )
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Deleted as duplicate post
Last edited by Tdog on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

gbelleh wrote:It's funny how different everyone is. The Para 2 has never pinched me. In fact, I can't get it to pinch me even if I try. But the original Yojimbo would pinch the heck out of me almost every time.

I would like the Manix 2 a lot more if the lock were easier to unlock. Closing the Manix 2 is always slightly awkward for me. I'd really like to see an uncaged BBL version of the Manix 2. I really prefer the uncaged BBL, like on the Dodo for ease of operation.
I the same experience with as you. Don't think I ever had the Para 2 pinch. The Yo 2 pinches often. May be part of the reason it doesn't get as much carry time. I also agree with others the Caly 3.5 should be considered. It is my most carried knife.

Should you get a Para 2? Is a four pound robin fat? :D
J888www

Post by J888www »

Personally, I would not get a PM2, yet. I am waiting for a PM2 Light Weight S110v to reach Retail.
As the CPM S35vn is the upgrade replacement for the S30v, the S110v is considered to be the upgrade of the S90v, so how good is the S110v one can only ponder.
The Manix 2 LW S110v is readily available but the deal breaker is the rivets, the knife cannot be taken apart for cleaning. The Manix 2's locking mechanism (minnute contact point between the ball and the gap of the blade) will fail when dirt/blood/gore/Virgin Mary get inside through the small opening by the side of the locking buttons. To design this knife with rivet construction instead of Torx is lacking in consideration.

To answer the OP, "Different Strokes For Different Folks", whether you need a Para-Military 2 or not need it, only you can answer that question.
Asking for other's opinions in a Forum will only serve further confusion.

So get a mirror, look at yourself and ask........."Do I need a Para-Military 2 ?"
PcT

Post by PcT »

Get one. And learn the lock mechanism. They can't be beat
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

M4 Para has been announced Slash. :)

To the OP: The pm2 is not the most lefty friendly knife out there. I am fairly ambidextrous and it is not uncommon for me to remove, open, close and even use my knives left handed. I would say the compression lock is probably my least favorite lock to operate with my left hand. I actually prefer using a liner lock with my off hand. As some of the true lefties have attested, it is perfectly usable...just not as much so as other locks for this guy. Of course you still absolutely need one. You will adapt to the lock and it will be fine after a bit of practice.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

J888www wrote:Personally, I would not get a PM2, yet. I am waiting for a PM2 Light Weight S110v to reach Retail.
Do you know something I don't know? LW Para2? I hope you are patient. :D That's gonna be a while if it even happens. :rolleyes:

The rest of your post I am just gonna let go.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
shabowie

Post by shabowie »

I'm a lefty and don't have a problem with the compression lock. I haven't noticed an advantage or disadvantage using it left vs right.

But to be honest when I carry one knife I carry it right handed carry.
J888www

Post by J888www »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Do you know something I don't know? LW Para2? I hope you are patient. :D That's gonna be a while if it even happens. :rolleyes:

The rest of your post I am just gonna let go.
"Patience is the Essence of Life" Confucius
I can wait, wait and wait much longer.
I did not say I will ever suceed in purchasing a PM2 LW in S110v, I said "I am waiting.........." and if it does not reach Retail, que sera sera.

Light weight does not equate to FRCP or FRN, light weight means literally lighter than standard. So I'm waiting for a lighter weight PM2 in CPM S110v. What is so absurd with this configuration ?

NB. It is Forum etiquette to attack the Post , not the Poster, and if Members are partial to the latter then the Forum have little to be desired.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

J888www wrote: The Manix 2's locking mechanism (minnute [sic] contact point between the ball and the gap of the blade) will fail when dirt/blood/gore/Virgin Mary get inside through the small opening by the side of the locking buttons. To design this knife with rivet construction instead of Torx is lacking in consideration.

Asking for other's opinions in a Forum will only serve further confusion.
To clarify:
Locking mechanism: I don't know that a small (minute) contact area is a liability. It is only your assertion that it will fail as you describe. Evidence is necessary.

Rivet construction was likely chosen for a reason, not from a lack of consideration. Evidence again is called for.

Asking for others opinions is a fundamental reason for the Forum's existence.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I just didn't want anybody to think that a LW Para2 had been confirmed. Sorry if you felt attacked, I didn't intend it that way. Kid gloves are on. :) ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I have to echo what Evil D said about preferring the ergos of the Manix 2. For my hands the PM2 is just slightly too cramped. For comparably sized knives I much prefer handles that taper, eg Yojimbo 2 or Manix 2.

I do think the PM2 does have some advantages that more than make up for this. The PM2 is lighter than either a regular Manix or even a Sprint with milled liners. The difference isn't huge, but noticeable.

The Compression Lock is also really simple compared to the CBBL. It adds no extra weight or moving parts. Ambidextrous unlocking isn't as obvious as with the CBBL, but easy with practice.

But really, the PM2 is such an iconic knife how can you not justify buying one?

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
J888www

Post by J888www »

MichaelScott wrote:
To clarify:
Locking mechanism: I don't know that a small (minute) contact area is a liability. It is only your assertion that it will fail as you describe. Evidence is necessary.

Rivet construction was likely chosen for a reason, not from a lack of consideration. Evidence again is called for.

Asking for others opinions is a fundamental reason for the Forum's existence.
There are only two minuscule contact points on a sphere whereas there is contact along the whole length of a bar, but then again if Spyderco had used a bar instead of a ball, they would be treading shallow waters of the Axis Lock Patent. Secondly, I did not specifically say the lock will fail due to the contact point but...."will fail when dirt/blood/gore/Virgin Mary get inside through the small opening by the side of the locking buttons."
It is all fine for the paper/rope/box cutters of the community but there are Farmers who made use then disgarded this "ball lock" due to rivet hindrance for disassembly of the Manix 2 LW.

......and for what reason were the usage of rivets chosen over Torx ? other than a hindrance for disassembly. If the purchaser decides he/she wishes to void Warranty by disassembly/modification then is it not their Freedom of Choice ? I had thought most of you live in a Democracy, it would seem some are more Democratic than others.
If the rivet construction hold advantage over Torx then why are there so many manufacturers producing knives with Torx instead of rivets ? or else these manufacturers are deliberately producing inferior supplies by using Torx ?

......."a fundamental reason for the Forum's existence." The reason for product enhancement/development/progression, which was my reason for Posting as feedback for Spyderco to further develope a better quality product. Forum's may not be suitable for personal recommendations as I have stated "Different Strokes For Different Folks" unles one is omnipotent and know exactly what is perfect for a total stranger.

NB: To attack a Post, one produce evidence to prove the error of the Poster, it is puerile to request evidence because it is insubstantial.
bearfacedkiller wrote:I didn't intend it that way.
You make me feel humble. Apology is unnecessary as I always feel being attacked.
I live by "Indomitable Spirit and Relentless Determination", the fault lies with me, not you. Maybe I am "Nuts" afterall.
Able Dog wrote: But really, the PM2 is such an iconic knife how can you not justify buying one?
Quite simply, I want a better than standard PM2, so I'm waiting............
I didn't say I will not buy one, to be clear, I am waiting, waiting, waiting............... to buy one.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I meant that last line purely as a rhetorical question, not aimed at anything that you said specifically. By all means, get a Sprint or Dealer Exclusive, there are some really impressive examples out there!

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

No.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I don't think you need one. I've had one for 2 or 3 years, and just can't get into it at all. I don't know why. I want the upcoming smaller one though (as long as the handle is a bit shorter as well as the blade). And don't y'all tell me it'll just be a Para 1. :rolleyes:
- best wishes, Jazz.
J888www

Post by J888www »

Wished I hadn't read and replied to Post, after contemplating some of the issues of Ball Lock and rivet construction, I went and purchased another Manix 2 LW S110v.................................I know not why.
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

Not trying to be the anomaly here by any means, but I have this weird thing: I use both hands on all my folders. Sure, I prefer right handed, and with the Spyder Hole I can operate one handed, but normally, I will use two hands to open my knives, even if they are flickable or thumb-able. I guess it's just a carry over technique from being born into traditional slip joints. Actually, now that I think about it, I have been carrying my PM2 clipped into the left pocket for a while now. I just prefer the knife there and will switch it to the right hand to open. Closing the knife right handed, sometimes one handed, then switching it over to the left hand and retuning the knife to the pocket. Yeah, I'm weird like that, I guess. But do I really need to switch hands? Not really. I can cut with both, but right handed is more comfortable. This doesn't solve the left handed operation/opening/closing dilemma the compression lock has, of course. I've closed it left handed, just to see if I could do it effectively, but it wasn't all that awesome, and I barely had control.

I have, over the years, also worn fixed blades on the left side and drawn with the left hand, used it with the left or right hand then returned it to the sheath.

What I'm trying to say is; perhaps lefty or righty isn't so much about the knife design, being more about the person using it. I'd buy a lefty knife anyday and still use it the way I need to. :)

Does any of the above really help the OP? Maybe not. Just thought I'd throw this out there. Food for thought maybe? ;)
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Tdhurl1103 wrote:Not trying to be the anomaly here by any means, but I have this weird thing: I use both hands on all my folders. Sure, I prefer right handed, and with the Spyder Hole I can operate one handed, but normally, I will use two hands to open my knives, even if they are flickable or thumb-able. I guess it's just a carry over technique from being born into traditional slip joints. Actually, now that I think about it, I have been carrying my PM2 clipped into the left pocket for a while now. I just prefer the knife there and will switch it to the right hand to open. Closing the knife right handed, sometimes one handed, then switching it over to the left hand and retuning the knife to the pocket. Yeah, I'm weird like that, I guess. But do I really need to switch hands? Not really. I can cut with both, but right handed is more comfortable.

Does any of the above really help the OP? Maybe not. ;)

Hey, actually you just nearly described how I often carry knives as well! I'm right handed, but carry a larger folder in left rear pocket. Primarily my keychain (with other tools and items attached to it) goes in my right rear pocket. I do carry a smaller folder in my right front though, for quicker access if needed...
I do try to get used to operating most of my knives with both hands though.
Going back to Caly.
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

I knew I wasn't alone. LOL

I'm not trying to hijack here, but I thought this might be a good place to bring this up. You know, this whole subject got me thinking about something; has Spyderco ever considered making the Paramilitary with different lock options, like the Sage series? I understand; tooling, logistics, budgeting and basic supply and demand are all factors in this, but given all factors were met positively, would a PM work well with an axis lock? Or a backlock? Or a MW liner lock? Would it still be a PM?
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence