HAP 40 Endura to be clad or solid blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: HAP 40 Endura to be clad or solid blade?

Post by kennethsime »

DougC-3 wrote:@kennethsime, To me the R choil is much bigger and more comfortable than the one on my Meadowlark Hawkbill. I, also, would like a blade change on the Stretch. I've got used to the lack of a choil on the Delica and Endura, and they're such classics and mainstays that I'm OK with leaving them unchanged.
This is were we differ, I find the smaller choil more comfortable; I don't want my hand to sink into the choil (a la Manix), I want it to be just enough that my fingers find firmer purchase (a la current-gen Stretch). That said, maybe I'll love the new Stretch.
tvenuto wrote:Maybe we need an R pass-around?
I'm in!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My R has hit the stones quite a bit and has some minor clip wear so it isn't any kind of baby I am too worried about. If we did a pass around mine is definitely in great shape but it also definitely a user so if this idea gains some traction I would be willing to share. There just has never been any interest in this model whenever it comes up. People just seem to love the Stretch and Para2 so much.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Any idea when the HAP 40 E4 drops?? I am planning like it is soon
swigert

Post by swigert »

twinboysdad wrote:Any idea when the HAP 40 E4 drops?? I am planning like it is soon
I don't feel like we have had anything to lead us to believe that it's really soon.
Quick Draw

Post by Quick Draw »

Don't know how I missed this thread before. The Manbug in burnt orange FRN and HAP40 is very exciting for sure. Can't wait to see these start shipping. This just made my day!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Quick Draw wrote:Don't know how I missed this thread before. The Manbug in burnt orange FRN and HAP40 is very exciting for sure. Can't wait to see these start shipping. This just made my day!
Probably last, though. We're going to have a wait ahead of us.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

What I really want now....Is another pe Lil Matriarch in Hap 40!! :eek: I know chances are slim to none on that happening but man oh man am I loving that design! Its like a Delica with attitude! The only improvement I could think of would to be to own one in a more wear resistant steel than vg10. So yeah Spyderco, y'all are going to have a bunch of those burnt orange handles cut anyway so..... :cool:
bearfacedkiller

Surfingringo wrote:What I really want now....Is another pe Lil Matriarch in Hap 40!! :eek: I know chances are slim to none on that happening but man oh man am I loving that design! Its like a Delica with attitude! The only improvement I could think of would to be to own one in a more wear resistant steel than vg10. So yeah Spyderco, y'all are going to have a bunch of those burnt orange handles cut anyway so..... :cool:
I'll take one too. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

That's a cool idea... throwing in an extra model in a sprint run series. It could come out last, as an extra bonus for the people who had all the others in the series as well as the ones that just want that model. Maybe the whole 1200 wouldn't have to be made, unless the manufacturer required it.

Blue and burnt orange would make a pretty good color combination. You could have one for each hand :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

DougC-3 wrote:That's a cool idea... throwing in an extra model in a sprint run series. It could come out last, as an extra bonus for the people who had all the others in the series as well as the ones that just want that model. Maybe the whole 1200 wouldn't have to be made, unless the manufacturer required it.

Blue and burnt orange would make a pretty good color combination. You could have one for each hand :D
I am on a mission to get more folks to try this knife. I sometimes do this with a knife I love just because I want everyone else to be as broke as I am. :p But with this one I genuinely feel like people are missing out on an amazing design. I tried carrying some hawkbills but they were just too one dimensional for me. I still use them for certain tasks, but not for daily carry. This blade gives a lot of the advantages of a hb but is WAY more versatile. Its kind of hard for me to believe but I've got a spyderpak full of Millies, pm2's, Sages, etc. that are all gathering dust while this simple little frn knife finds its way into my pocket everyday. I know lots of folks love the Delica but it never really rang my bell. Well the little Matriarch sure does. I kind of feel like I know what its like to be a delica lover now....sort of. :)
bearfacedkiller

Well, I am a Delica lover and the Lil' Matriarch is also one of my new favorites. I think it is the price that is putting people off. If this was available for the same price as the SE Lil Matriarch then more people would hopefully have given it a try. With it's limited availability due to it being a distributor exclusive I am contemplating getting another one and if I see one on the secondary market I am gonna jump on it. It is really a subdued hawkbill which indeed makes it a better knife for daily carry for me.

Lance, maybe you could take a pic of it next to a Tasman and post it in your "New Favorite EDC" thread?
-Darby
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Well, I am a Delica lover and the Lil' Matriarch is also one of my new favorites. I think it is the price that is putting people off. If this was available for the same price as the SE Lil Matriarch then more people would hopefully have given it a try. With it's limited availability due to it being a distributor exclusive I am contemplating getting another one and if I see one on the secondary market I am gonna jump on it. It is really a subdued hawkbill which indeed makes it a better knife for daily carry for me.

Lance, maybe you could take a pic of it next to a Tasman and post it in your "New Favorite EDC" thread?
Hey Darby, Im not sure about the price thing. Yes, its a bit more than the regular but its not a deal breaker premium imo. I honestly believe the reason that this (and arguably the regular lil Matriarch) haven't sold up to their potential is because many folks see it as a SD knife...because of the design and shared name. Well, thats already a smaller market plus when choosing a SD knife most folks probably just go for the larger more extreme design of the Matriarch. I just think that this knife (unlike the regular Matriarch) is a very functional everyday tool outside of the SD arena. I want more folks to try the thing just so they can see what we're talking about!

BTW, I have had the same thought about picking up a second and i NEVER do that! Anyway, thats probably enough about that...this is a hap40 thread, not a lil Matriarch thread after all.

p.s. will try to take a photo for the other thread later
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The blue one is pretty appealing . I don't usually go for colorful knives, but that seems to be changing. I've got so many in "earth tones" now I've started craving colors and good old black G-10. But I think I'm already broker than you, Lance, so it may have to take a number and wait ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.