GITD Manix 2 XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: GITD Manix 2 XL

Post by farnorthdan »

WireEdge Roger wrote:Looking good! Mine is MIA, hasn't even left OK according to tracking, drats!
Hey at least you've received tracking, nothing here yet, but I'm not worried, it's not like I don't already have a pile of other spydies I haven't even used yet.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Exactly right. It's not really an issue in the great scheme of things :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

March 13, 2015 , 10:27 am - Notice Left (Receptacle Full/Item Oversized)

I'll have to get it tomorrow.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jonsidneyb

Post by jonsidneyb »

farnorthdan wrote:
WireEdge Roger wrote:Looking good! Mine is MIA, hasn't even left OK according to tracking, drats!
Hey at least you've received tracking, nothing here yet, but I'm not worried, it's not like I don't already have a pile of other spydies I haven't even used yet.
Yours went out on the 11th. I wonder if your tracking number ended up in your spam folder.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Man, from a prior post of yours regarding your avatar pic......if that Avatar is your ex-girlfriend then you really must have some game going on considering that your profile tells me that you are about a decade older than I am. Kudos!

Although I was always visiting EDC Forums to look at one thing or another ......I actually joined EDC Forums for this knife but I am still hesitating because of the price differential over the regular Manix XL.......with the new $CA exchange rate this one would cost me more than my KW exclusive CF S90v version did during happier times for the Canadian dollar. But I do think that the Moonglow is truly cool and I don't have a specimen of any of those models yet but.......too many new toy purchases lately.

How is the stock level on these right now with the remaining amount available? Please PM me with the information if you prefer and are OK with letting me know......I do realize that the longer I wait, the greater the chance that I might be SOL if I do decide to try to grab one. BTW......keep the avatar, it sure is a nice distraction whenever I run into it ;)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I received my EDC Forums, GITD Manix 2 XL today, and it's very nice. The scale material is a much lighter color than the Moonglow Manix 2 or Native 5. It's also more transparent. I just did a quick glow test comparing the three, and the new Manix 2 XL is noticeably less bright, and dims much more quickly than the Manix 2 and Native 5.

Here is a pic of all three immediately after being charged equally and simultaneously with a ~900 lumen flashlight.

Here they are after about 1 minute.

Here they are after about 5 minutes.

It's kind of hard to tell in the pics (with the camera auto adjusting for brightness), but the Manix 2 XL quickly lost its initial bright glow, and continued to fade, while the other two maintained a much more intense glow. The difference between 1 minute and 5 minutes, was much more noticeable to the eye. It's now about 20 minutes after they were all charged, and it's hard to even see that the XL is glowing, while the other two are still clearly glowing quite brightly.

Anyway, the new XL is a very nice knife, and does glow, just not nearly as long or strong as the older models. The knife itself shows excellent fit and finish, with a nice sharp, evenly ground, centered blade. Lockup is smooth and solid, though the pivot on this one is a bit tighter than I like. I expect it will loosen up a bit with use. This is a great knife overall, just don't expect it to glow like the originals.
:bug-red-white
Donut

Post by Donut »

Well, flashlights... usually have a "spot" in the middle of the beam and "spill" outside of that spot. I would expect the center one to get the most charge. Since the Native and the Manix 2 are the same material, the fact that the Native isn't as bright shows that. We could consider the Native and Manix 2 XL to be "charged equally".

This is a new material. They say it is Kyrinite based, the other two are pure moonglow. The Moonglow wasn't supposed to be very "strong".

From what I've read, Moonglow was designed for use in the Pentagon, I thought it was for emergency lighting that would never fail or something.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I could've explained better: the light was quickly passed directly over each knife for an equal amount of time, and an equal number of passes from right to left (with the Manix 2 XL receiving the last pass).

So, without getting too scientific about it, they should each have received the same charge.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Okay, interesting. I like my other models, so I imagine I'll like this one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Got the family photo together. EDC GITD+S30V, KW exclusive CF+S90V, classic S30V+solid liners+clear button. Just love my XLs!

rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I received my two knives today. I sure am glad the USPS still delivers on Saturday, at least in my neck of the woods. I haven't had a chance to take a "family" picture of all my GITD knives yet.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Although the glow is less bright, I prefer the way the new material looks in regular light to the previous material.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Although the glow is less bright, I prefer the way the new material looks in regular light to the previous material.
I like the way the new material looks too. Here's a side-by-side in daylight.

IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I have the impression the XL is more like the Manix 2 GITD GEN 2, which was less bright and more transparent.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Got mine today, thanks Jon, really a nice looking piece, my first XL also. Blade is a bit off center, hopefully I can get it centered. I'll probably order a second just to have for down the road, I'm sure they will be in high demand and command a premium.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Donut wrote:Well, flashlights... usually have a "spot" in the middle of the beam and "spill" outside of that spot. I would expect the center one to get the most charge. Since the Native and the Manix 2 are the same material, the fact that the Native isn't as bright shows that. We could consider the Native and Manix 2 XL to be "charged equally".

This is a new material. They say it is Kyrinite based, the other two are pure moonglow. The Moonglow wasn't supposed to be very "strong".

From what I've read, Moonglow was designed for use in the Pentagon, I thought it was for emergency lighting that would never fail or something.
I bought some Moonglow and Kirinite GITD material to make some knife handles with a while back and did a glow comparison. The Moonglow material definitely glows bright a lot longer than the Kirinite does.

I made a thread about the relative brightness here: http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 5&p=922774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, I agree that the Moonglow material is pretty amazing stuff.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Now on Massdrop for $129 total shipped
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

abbazaba wrote:Now on Massdrop for $129 total shipped
good deal, I think I paid about $150 for mine I might pop for a couple more. Thanks for the heads up.