Weighty Matters, and Michael and the Three Spyders

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Weighty Matters, and Michael and the Three Spyders

Post by MichaelScott »

So, I needed another pocket size carry knife. After many hours of arduous research on the internet and too many long, boring and really dumb YouTube "reviews" (there were a number that were very interesting, informative and mercifully brief, but not too many) I decided on the Ambitious. A good choice as it turned out. However, not being satisfied with just one, I decided to get a larger EDC knife too. Not being able to afford a Para Military 2 of some kind, I delved back into internet reviews and videos (yes, I can be a glutton for punishment) and discovered I needed a Tenacious.

I am enjoying them both, but seeing there is a gap between the two I went ahead and ordered the Persistence, which I suspect will become my general, go-to, EDC knife. It was kinda like me and the Three Bears (substitute Spydies). In this so-called process, I got out the scale and did some weighing: Ambitious 3 oz. Tenacious 4.1 oz. iPhone 6 with case, 5.5 oz.

I regularly carry the iPhone and think nothing of it. I don't know why I tend to get wrapped around the axle about a 4 oz. knife. Sheesh,... I could carry all three and it wouldn't be a really big deal.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
sal

Re: Weighty Matters, and Michael and the Three Spyders

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

Over the years, we have learned that the most important part about a knife is that you have it with you when you need it. Having it with you creates many parameters, that are often different for different people. We've learned that if a knife is too big in the pocket, or too heavy, or too thick, while it may feel good in the hand, it is often left on the dresser for a more carry friendly choice.,

sal
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

blame nutn f for the 4 oz rule
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

and what sal said, new knives have a honeymoon period where they are accommodated, but when that wears off you go for ease of use.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thank you Sal. This is what many of us feel. It is nice to have the humongous gargantuan titan of a knife to play with, but when it comes to carry, a smaller knife is more useful all around and more friendly in the pocket.

(I am still waiting for Manbug stretched out to a 2.5 inch blade---the Superbug. I like the slim ergonomic design and overall useful blade shape)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Weight matters when you are a weirdo like me and carry 3 or 4 knives and 2 flashlights and who knows what else. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

a 2.5" Manbug would be close to the Dragonfly in size. You might look at the "Cat".

sal
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Try a lightweight Manix (81 grams/2.86oz), it's hard to beat :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Not so much weight for me as long as it's reasonable. :)

More of a size thing for me, how big it rides in the pocket and how easy it is to get my hand past the knife.

Some knives just tend to disappear in pocket while some others just take up too much room, anything wider than a Military for example.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Nutnfancy has a 4 oz. rule? Sounds a bit arbitrary although I do appreciate lightweight gear. Having run a blog dedicated to self defense carry for over two years now I have had many discussions about weight and size as concerns carry handguns. Sal is right, in my view, that the knife you have with you is the best one to carry. This applies to handguns too. Either too small or big for the job, or too heavy and uncomfortable to carry regularly (emphasis on regularly) and it will be home in the drawer or safe when you need it.

Plus, that is a personal choice too. Some people will be fine carrying say a Military and a Model 1911 or full size Glock .40. Others will be fine with lighter, smaller combinations that will be effective. I am in that camp.

I suspect the Persistence & Shield 9mm with be a winning combo, as will the Ambitious and LCP. Or some combination of those four.

If I had to chose my favorite Spyderco EDC for all those factors plus wide spectrum use, it might be the Native 5 frn. Light, great blade shape and length, grippy handles, good clip.

There are other candidates, so that makes it fun to consider. It's a goal and a journey.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Being 6' 1" and 210#, weight doesn't matter so much to me. If I have room in my pocket, I'll carry it. Sometimes I carry a Glock in .45 ACP. Sometimes I pocket carry a Ruger SP-101 in .357 magnum. A Manix 2 XL is the perfect size for me.

I'm just very happy that Spyderco makes such a wide variety of sizes and styles so that there's something for everyone.
brick

Post by brick »

This is why I rarely pocket-carry my phone anymore but always manage to have a good knife. It's not that my 5" smartphone doesn't fit, I just don't want it there. It's like having a growth on my left thigh. With the knives I don't mind weight nearly as much as size. My UKPK hardly weighs anything and it's my go-to knife for bigger cutting chores around the house, but 98% of the time I'll leave it at home in favor of something that I can sink into my coin pocket and forget about.

Either way I completely agree on the benefits of variety. We all have different needs, tastes, environments, etc. and the fact that our friends in Golden and can meet nearly all of them is pretty amazing. "All of the above" can't be an easy niche to fill!
-Tim
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

The majority of days, I carry what I like regardless of size or weight. They're usually not an issue. For the days that they are an issue, I have knives that satisfy those restrictions. That's the joy of being a collector. I'm bound to have something that fits! And if I dont, well I've just come up with a reason to buy a new Spyderco.

I like nutnfancy, but I always take him with a grain of salt as I do any review of anything by anyone. Everyone has their own preferences, including me and you and you and you. 4 oz in my mind is still a rather light knife. Some days it isnt, and I grab my brown Native or dark blue Manix, but some days it's nothing and I grab my Foundry or ZT just because. I believe the Military in my pocket now is just over 4 oz, and I've barely felt it in there all day despite wearing pants that I usually wear a belt with, with no belt. Maybe I'm finally growing back into a 34 inch waist! Man, you guys think losing weight is hard, try being naturally skinny and gaining weight!

But yeah, it's a preference thing. I, for one, like a weighty knife and prefer to carry one. My next challenge is actually how to carry my not-so-recently acquired first pistol, a PPK. It's heavy for such a little thing that will make all my knives seem like paper clips, and to carry it is really going to put my kydex bending skills to the test. But I like the weight and I like the gun, so carry it I shall.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I've done a bunch of concealed carry holster reviews and am in the process of comparing four more, all IWB synthetics. You might get some ideas for yours: http://sdcarry.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Team Innovation
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I don't even worry about weight, I carry what I like and that's usually something big (also carry my SB manbug every day). I'm use to carrying much heavier tools to do my job so a knifes weight never even crosses my mind.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
swigert

Post by swigert »

sal wrote:Hi Doc,

a 2.5" Manbug would be close to the Dragonfly in size. You might look at the "Cat".

sal
I think a dragonfly in multiple blade shapes would be a winner Sal. Serrated Hawkbill, Leaf and a man bug/foundry style blade...would be awesome.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

MichaelScott wrote:I've done a bunch of concealed carry holster reviews and am in the process of comparing four more, all IWB synthetics. You might get some ideas for yours: http://sdcarry.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just skimmed through it, it looks like I can definitely get some good ideas from your reviews. I'll have to go over some of them when I have more time. Thanks a ton!