Blade Finish

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cheesesticks

Blade Finish

Post by cheesesticks »

:) Hey all,

I have a question about the blade finish on my Native 5's I just noticed this yesterday and have been carrying both on and off. The C41 in the Black G10 has a very interesting finish, almost gloss like but not shiny? the grind is almost in-detectable. If one runs your finger over the blade it is as smooth as glass. Where the C41 Titanium has what we are all used to seeing with the satin brushed look. Pics added

I am curious of this difference, any ideas?

cheesesticks

Re: Blade Finish

Post by cheesesticks »

Anyone? :rolleyes:
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I can't really tell from the pictures, and I've never seen a Native 5 in person, but I'm assuming it's a light stonewash. I could be wrong, but that's just a guess!

Matt
cheesesticks

Post by cheesesticks »

Matt, Actually it may be stone washed. If I did not know better, the surface is almost like it has a Clear Satin protectant. Either way I can only assume that the blade finishes are different from time to time.

Thks, Alan
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would guess just tumbled in some sort of media. Looks like stone washing but much lighter.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

It really is hard to tell. I'm assuming it's stonewashed, because I'm not sure what else it could be. I'm sure someone else could chime in. :)

Matt
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Originally the N5 blades were not stonewashed and you could see the grind lines. A year or so ago, Spyderco began beadblasting or lightly stonewashing these S35VN blades, giving the smooth lustrous finish you see above. I believe the shift came about near about the time the lightweight N5 was born or first being produced. Hope that helps.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Most original US-made Spyderco knives were satin finished. Over the past year or so, some of them (the Native 5 and the Manix 2, for sure) have switched over to a tumbled matte finish.

Stay safe,

Mike
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Michael Janich wrote:Most original US-made Spyderco knives were satin finished. Over the past year or so, some of them (the Native 5 and the Manix 2, for sure) have switched over to a tumbled matte finish.

Stay safe,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Any plans to expand that to the other models or is it too early to tell?

Jim
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Stonewashed Manix 2, I like the sound of that! It looked good on the early 154CMs, now to scour for another Manix.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Almoe66

Post by Almoe66 »

My Manix 2 translucent blue lw (BD1) has that same blade finish (visually) as the Native in the op. I actually really like it. It does indeed present a very obvious visual difference when compared to my other Spyderco blades, again like in the op pictures. Whatever finishing process is involved, I like it.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

Walt Whitman
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Jim:

I don't have any insight on that... Above my pay grade. If I hear anything, I will do my best to share it here.

Stay safe,

Mike
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Michael Janich wrote:Dear Jim:

I don't have any insight on that... Above my pay grade. If I hear anything, I will do my best to share it here.

Stay safe,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks. :)

I was just thinking out loud really about how nice it would be. :D

More of a stonewashed or hand rubbed finish type of guy. :)

Jim
KnifeJunky83

Post by KnifeJunky83 »

I on the other hand hope they do not expand this finish on other knives ... I love the satin finish . Or at least give us a choice in what finish . I was expecting a satin finished Native 5 , when it came sadly it was this stonewashed finish :mad: . Don't get me wrong , I LOVE the Southard's stonewash because it shines and sparkles ... But this finish is dull and looks horrible to me lol
:spyder: "A lazy man carries a dull knife" :spyder:
:spyder: "If you're not carrying a knife, you may as well be wearing a skirt!" :spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

KnifeJunky83 wrote:I on the other hand hope they do not expand this finish on other knives ... I love the satin finish . Or at least give us a choice in what finish . I was expecting a satin finished Native 5 , when it came sadly it was this stonewashed finish :mad: . Don't get me wrong , I LOVE the Southard's stonewash because it shines and sparkles ... But this finish is dull and looks horrible to me lol
Yeah you're not alone. Not my taste.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
KnifeJunky83

Post by KnifeJunky83 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
KnifeJunky83 wrote:I on the other hand hope they do not expand this finish on other knives ... I love the satin finish . Or at least give us a choice in what finish . I was expecting a satin finished Native 5 , when it came sadly it was this stonewashed finish :mad: . Don't get me wrong , I LOVE the Southard's stonewash because it shines and sparkles ... But this finish is dull and looks horrible to me lol
Yeah you're not alone. Not my taste.
Yeah I wish I would've got a Manix 2 uncoated before this finish . All I have are the black bladed Manix 2 an XL ... If this happens to the newer PM2's idk what I'm gonna do ?! I really don't wanna have to sand them because I don't have the time to do so and frankly I shouldn't have to !
:spyder: "A lazy man carries a dull knife" :spyder:
:spyder: "If you're not carrying a knife, you may as well be wearing a skirt!" :spyder: