More than one shade of blue Delica C11FPBL !?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HorserloverFat

More than one shade of blue Delica C11FPBL !?

Post by HorserloverFat »

I just received a Spyderco Delica 4 FFG C11FPBL 1422 (CO) from Amazon as a gift. However, I've noticed that the same knife appears to have bolder blue handles in certain video reviews. The handles of my knife are a similar blue to the cool " Smilie " on the right , whereas I've watched videos where the handles appear to be a bolder/darker blue like the Spyderco spyder " Smilie ". Is this owing to a filter on the video camera or has Spyderco offered more than one shade of blue on the Delica ?

This video serves as a good illustration of my point. The still shot of the knife is closer to the handles on my Delica , while the handles appear darker during the actual video : https://youtu.be/agOyu0b1qy8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GoldenSpydie

Re: More than one shade of blue Delica C11FPBL !?

Post by GoldenSpydie »

My guess is bad video quality. It is also possible that the reviewer dyed the scales, but I think it is unlikely.

I've only ever seen/heard of one shade of blue offered in the Delica.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

It's likely just the camera. I just got an orange Dodo about a week ago, and it looks a bit different in person. I ordered my blue Delica on Amazon about a year ago, and it seems to be real. I haven't noticed any quality issues. I'm sure there's been a few fakes on Amazon, but I'm sure your knife is okay. I just wouldn't make a habit of using Amazon for knives(like you said, it was a gift). :)

Matt
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Thank you, Matt. BTW How did you confirm that your knife is the real McCoy ? And the woman that gave it to me would be upset if it was a fake ...
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

GoldenSpydie wrote:My guess is bad video quality. It is also possible that the reviewer dyed the scales, but I think it is unlikely.

It actually looks very similar to the Law Enforcement Foundation knife, and yet there is no logo on the blade : http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=715" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, from what I can make out the blue on this Delica is the same : http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

HorserloverFat wrote:
GoldenSpydie wrote:My guess is bad video quality. It is also possible that the reviewer dyed the scales, but I think it is unlikely.

It actually looks very similar to the Law Enforcement Foundation knife, and yet there is no logo on the blade : http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=715" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, from what I can make out the blue on this Delica is the same : http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But at the same time the handles appear to be a bolder blue in certain photos and videos : https://www.google.com/search?q=delica+ ... 48&bih=834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You still seem worried that it is a fake even after already starting another thread on it. I can't say for certain but I am betting that it's real. Fake frn knives are not very common and the Dragonfly seems to be a common one. It does not have liners making it a simpler knife to fake. With your Delica having liners it would be harder to fake so that helps. Unfortunately the only way to be truly sure would be to send it in to Spyderco to have them verify for you. My opinion is that you are worrying too much and it is probably fine. Why don't you post some pics on here for us to see. Maybe we can help. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wouldn't avoid Amazon altogether myself. I scored a Centofante3 on there for $46 bucks around Christmas time. I might just watch out for certain models that are known to be problematic.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

^

I don't have a camera at the moment. Yeah, authenticating is one thing ... I also wanted to make sure that there is not different shades of blue offered by Spyderco. Thanks.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HorserloverFat wrote:I just received a Spyderco Delica 4 FFG C11FPBL 1422 (CO) from Amazon as a gift. However, I've noticed that the same knife appears to have bolder blue handles in certain video reviews. The handles of my knife are a similar blue to the cool " Smilie " on the right , whereas I've watched videos where the handles appear to be a bolder/darker blue like the Spyderco spyder " Smilie ". Is this owing to a filter on the video camera or has Spyderco offered more than one shade of blue on the Delica ?

This video serves as a good illustration of my point. The still shot of the knife is closer to the handles on my Delica , while the handles appear darker during the actual video : https://youtu.be/agOyu0b1qy8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like that guys reviews. :)
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

^

Yes, he seems like a very sensible young man !
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

It's entirely possible that the batches of dye they use in the FRN vary by slight amounts, but the major differences you are seeing are likely due to variances in camera and lighting.

If you are super worried about buying fakes, don't buy from Amazon. If you buy from the SFO, they're more expensive but will certainly be legitimate. If you want to save money, buy from many of the authorized Spyderco retailers that are knife dealers, and would likely be able to spot a fake return if they got one (Knife Works, New Graham, Cutlery Shoppe, etc). While Amazon certainly gets real knives initially, they aren't specifically a knife dealer and any returns they might receive and potentially resell could be suspect, as the person doing the return probably isn't a "knife" person.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Thanks , Kyle. Good advice. This was a gift from a friend (female) and therefore the situation is a little more delicate, so to speak. However, I'm dropping the hint that it would be best to buy from a authorized dealer in the future. And it tends to save a lot of headaches regarding what I'm going to be receiving and whether or not it is a fake.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

There are many variables when dealing with color on the internet. Lighting, camera, editing software, video quality, monitor calibration, etc. I have a dual monitor setup here in my office, and there is a clear difference in color between these monitors. There are also subtle differences between the iPhones/iPads in my household. You just can't trust the colors you see on your screen to be accurate.

I've also noticed very slight color differences in different batches of FRN.
:bug-red-white
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

^

Excellent points. Thanks.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

The blue in that video looks darker than the blue I've seen in pics here and on retailer's websites. I think you may have gotten the wrong impression from it. I don't have one, but I expect it to be more of a sky blue or the "smurf blue" like on my G10 Sage 3. Love that color, and if I ever get a FRN Delica it will be the blue one.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The blue FRN Delica is my next purchase and one is in my cart, now. That is, unless Sal gets around to releasing the promised and much anticipated blue G10 version.
What I have noticed with Spyderco's FRN, in all colors, is that they just do not photograph very well. Benchmades are pretty close, but if you look at photos of Spyderco Delicas and Enduras, the colors are all over the map. But in person, they are very different. Take the purple, for example. The color looks awful on the net, but in person it is really a nice color. The same is true with the grey, as it is nicer in person than in photos on the net. There are two problems and a third I can't figure out. 1. Cameras and smartphones interpret colors in many ways. Some are warmer and some cooler. Some more red or yellow oriented, some more blue. This affects the way colors appear. 2. On top of that, monitors on computers also interpret colors in varying ways and varying spectrums. This affect photo quality, too. 3. What I cannot figure out is why Spyderco's FRN photographs so much differently than other companies' FRN. Part of it is the way the bi-directional texturing reflects light. But the rest...?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Yeah, smurf blue is more like it. So you are in agreement that the filter on the camera is causing the handles to have a bolder blue appearance ?
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Doc Dan wrote:The blue FRN Delica is my next purchase and one is in my cart, now. That is, unless Sal gets around to releasing the promised and much anticipated blue G10 version.
What I have noticed with Spyderco's FRN, in all colors, is that they just do not photograph very well. Benchmades are pretty close, but if you look at photos of Spyderco Delicas and Enduras, the colors are all over the map. But in person, they are very different. Take the purple, for example. The color looks awful on the net, but in person it is really a nice color. The same is true with the grey, as it is nicer in person than in photos on the net. There are two problems and a third I can't figure out. 1. Cameras and smartphones interpret colors in many ways. Some are warmer and some cooler. Some more red or yellow oriented, some more blue. This affects the way colors appear. 2. On top of that, monitors on computers also interpret colors in varying ways and varying spectrums. This affect photo quality, too. 3. What I cannot figure out is why Spyderco's FRN photographs so much differently than other companies' FRN. Part of it is the way the bi-directional texturing reflects light. But the rest...?
Good diagnosis, Doc. :)