Endura Stainless vs Police Model: Main Differences?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Endura Stainless vs Police Model: Main Differences?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I know this basic idea has been discussed before but this question is more related to purchasing advice. As I mentioned in other threads, I now own a few Endura models: Saber ground, Flat Ground, FRN Handles. I do not have an Endura Stainless Steel handle nor do I have a Spyderco Police.

I mentioned that my first remembered experience with Spyderco knives was when I saw a worker with a Police Clip-It. My question: I noticed the Police model currently available costs more than the stainless steel handled Endura. If I were to get the Endura Stainless, would that "salve" the desire for the Police model since they are very similiar in overall structure, or, do you think the actual Police Model has certain features missing on the Endura Stainless, that it would be worth saving up for the pricier Police Model?

I notice one main difference is that the Police model has the swedged tip that the Endura does not have, and it looks functionally-sharpened.

What would you all do? Hold out for the Police, or, get the Endura Stainless?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Endura Stainless vs Police Model: Main Differences?

Post by Doc Dan »

I asked that same question on this forum (I think) a year or two ago. The consensus was that the Endura was more robust and better for all around use. I bought an Endura rather than the Police I was looking at and was very happy with that choice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

NO BRAINER :cool: The POLICE model>> end of story

The reasons are almost too numerous to mention. First of al the handle on the POLICE model fits just about every large and average sized hand. I've loved every POLICE model I've ever had. Now I do tend to like the G-10 POLICE model just a bit better than I do the stainless but the stainless does have some advantages.

And if you're a Spyderedged fan you can't hardly beat a full Spyderedged POLICE model from a hard use or a hard work standpoint. Hey I have nothing against the Endura and I've owned a few of them but for a dependable, ridgid hard use folder I would go with the POLICE model any day of the week.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Endura gets my vote. I feel/agree it is more robust than the Police, as well as just enough a little shorter to fit an EDC (the closer to 4" area of EDC). The extra 1/4 length or so of the Police is really noticeable for me.
Plus Endura is more affordable.
This being said, the Police is an awesome knife and one of my favorites. It is a highly specialized model. Also keep in mind the Endura is probably my #1 all time favorite Spyderco, and I've been using them almost 20 years. I'm biased.
Buy both if you can afford it.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

SE G-10 Police 3 is an awesome knife......and also just discontinued. So if you are going to get one - you better grab one now.
It also makes for a great steak knife and bread knife with those serrations chewing through anything extremely well. I don't have an Endura though as I have other Spyderco's to fill that niche and I also prefer 50-50 choils which the G-10 Police 3 also has as well as G-10 - which except in a few instances I almost always prefer over FRN.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

STP has a pretty good deal on the Police SE if you get the coupon mails.

I like the police better than the Endure because he choil lets me choke up for finer work, which I find I need with such a large blade. That means the Police is more versatile for me.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

You all got me thinking.

I need to get a police. I've never really used one. I've sharpened a few. I did like the feel of them.

Edit

I've been carrying a endura since the 90's. They are a excellent work knife.

I want to try edcing the police off work. I think it might work well for me.
xinam

Post by xinam »

I'll add my vote for the se g10 police. I absolutely love the endura, I just feel like the police one ups it in so many ways. I'm going to go buy another before they're all gone :)
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Sorry to hijack the thread but can the Police be Spydy flicked open?

Cheers, Nick.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Big Nick wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread but can the Police be Spydy flicked open
The G10 version yes. Took a little practice for me due to the dimensions, but now I can do it with ease.