Manix 2 LW S110V pivot adjusting help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tsa1

Manix 2 LW S110V pivot adjusting help

Post by Tsa1 »

Hey guys! I just received this knife in the mail yesterday. I need help adjusting the pivot as the blade is very stiff. In fact even the spring in the ball bearing lock is pretty stuff, too. My question is which side of the pivot do I loosen? or is it both? It has a torx screw on both sides. I have ordered some tuff-glide dry lube as well. Other than that the blade is pretty sharp out of the box and centered very well.

Thanks in advance! This is my first post!
Last edited by Tsa1 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Re: Maxix LW S110V pivot adjusting help

Post by Evil D »

You can adjust either side, but one side or the other might throw the blade off center...might not. If it does, tighten it up and try the other side.
Tsa1

Post by Tsa1 »

Evil D wrote:You can adjust either side, but one side or the other might throw the blade off center...might not. If it does, tighten it up and try the other side.
Thank you.

I just tried loosening the pivot, but it only slightly helped. I think my bushing might be dirty. Should I take the blade off and attempt to clean everything. Or does the blade only come off if the whole knife is taken apart? (which is not really an option on this knife)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tsa1 wrote:
Evil D wrote:You can adjust either side, but one side or the other might throw the blade off center...might not. If it does, tighten it up and try the other side.
Thank you.

I just tried loosening the pivot, but it only slightly helped. I think my bushing might be dirty. Should I take the blade off and attempt to clean everything. Or does the blade only come off if the whole knife is taken apart? (which is not really an option on this knife)

I'm not 100% sure about the construction of this knife in particular but my understanding is that the blade doesn't come out easily. I personally wouldn't take this one apart. Try spraying the pivot out with WD-40 and compressed air, then drop some lube in and work it in. Some of these knives just fall to the tighter end of the tolerance spectrum and take some use to break in. I got lucky with mine, the blade swings freely and I can even unlock it with just my thumb (though I do have pretty strong hands). If none of that helps, go get a bunch of cardboard and do a lot of cutting with it. With it it having minimal liners, it doesn't take much flexing to loosen up. If none of that helps I'd send it to Spyderco and see if they'll swap you out.
Ray Allen

Re: Manix 2 LW S110V pivot adjusting help

Post by Ray Allen »

Hi,
I have had two of these. I always break out the cleaning gear with any new knife just to make sure that there is no residue or grit left over from the manufacturing process. Q tips and lube are your friend! I also adjust the pivot to my liking as well. Every one of the 4 various caged ball bearing lock Spyderco's I've had got much smoother after a break in period. I'm sure yours will as well.
Best...
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Like Evil D, my Manix is as smooth as a car salesman :p It took a little while to break in but now it's perfect. I can unlock the knife using just my thumb. My advice would be just to add a drop of oil to the pivot and use the knife (opening and closing often), if after 3-4 weeks you don't see any difference then send it back to Spyderco.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Tsa1

Post by Tsa1 »

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm going to try it out for a couple of weeks and drop some tuff-glide lube into the pivot and hopefully that helps.

I'm also going to wash it in hot soapy water as another member said he does with his knives to clean out any grit left over (of course I use the search button lol). Then lube it after it's dry.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences with this Manix. One last thing, I wish they would put this wire clip on the G-10 version. Actually on all Spyderco's to be honest.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Tsa1 wrote:Or does the blade only come off if the whole knife is taken apart? (which is not really an option on this knife)
The blade will not come out unless you drill out the rivets or break the plastic handle. Numerous people have already tried this.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

bdblue wrote:
Tsa1 wrote:Or does the blade only come off if the whole knife is taken apart? (which is not really an option on this knife)
The blade will not come out unless you drill out the rivets or break the plastic handle. Numerous people have already tried this.
I can testify to this. You really can't get the blade out with permanent damage to the knife. I know this because I got the blade out of one...the hard way for sure.

If you are having trouble adjusting the pivot, you might try to use two torx drivers at the same time, one on each side. On some knives turning one side will just make the other side spin so you have to use two drivers to counteract each other. Not certain that is the case with this one but may be worth a shot.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Also try giving the knife a hot soapy bath to dislodge any debris that might be gumming up the action.
Tsa1

Post by Tsa1 »

dreadpirate wrote:Also try giving the knife a hot soapy bath to dislodge any debris that might be gumming up the action.
I will be doing this today!

I've also left the knife open at the point that compresses the spring the most. Hopefully this "breaks" that in.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Tsa1 wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm going to try it out for a couple of weeks and drop some tuff-glide lube into the pivot and hopefully that helps.

I'm also going to wash it in hot soapy water as another member said he does with his knives to clean out any grit left over (of course I use the search button lol). Then lube it after it's dry.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences with this Manix. One last thing, I wish they would put this wire clip on the G-10 version. Actually on all Spyderco's to be honest.
I'd like to see more wire clips too. I also like the clip on this Manix, but for mine, I ordered the black anodized deep-carry wire clip (used on the Sage) from the Spyderco Factory Outlet, and I like it a lot more ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.