So 2009.... My Kopa Collection is finally complete!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vaisforlovers

So 2009.... My Kopa Collection is finally complete!!

Post by vaisforlovers »

Good Day Fellow Spyderco Fans,

I realize I'm quite late to the bandwagon, but after 4 years of slowing trying, I've finally completed my Kopa Collection. It's been an exciting search. Surprisingly to me, the last and most difficult for me to come across was the Squash Bone (C92SQP) from 2009. It was the second to last one produced by Spyderco, but it doesn't seem to pop up often. The second to last I found was the Giraffe Bone (C92GBP) from 2008. Other than those two, I came across them pretty regularly, but not so often that my checkbook was hurting.

One day I'll attempt to find the Jigged Bone one without a collectors number on it, but that isn't a priority at all.

I keep them in the top, glass covered drawer, which displays them nicely and keeps me eyeing them every time I see them in my closet. (removed from closet for picture. I wish my closet had a window!)

My favorites are the ones WITHOUT the pinned inlays. The Quince one is my most carried. I also frequently carry the Abalone one. I bought it worn and used and don't mind putting my own wear on it. The previous owner mirror polished the blade. I'm enjoying taking the polish off, one cut at a time! I also have a backup of it, one of the few duplicates in my accumulation. The best looking one in my opinion is the Gold MOP. I like the mirrored finish on the bolsters rather than the matte on most of the others.

I've read here they are considering resurrecting this line. I'm in. If they were to do Kopa 2, one without a clip and an added leather carrying pouch...even better!!!

Thanks for looking.

James
paladin

Re: So 2009.... My Kopa Collection is finally complete!!

Post by paladin »

+1 on resurrecting the Kopa... :D :spyder:

but IIRC, Sal recently posted that the maker was no longer available, or couldn't produce them anymore, or something like that... :o

I also whole-heartedly agree about your proposed "improvements" about adding leather pouch ( like the Kiwi's :) ) and nixing the clip... :spyder:

I like the gold pearl also...but, my personal favorites have been the traditional jigged amber bone & stacked wood...

BEEEYOUUUUTIFUL collection & thanks for posting! :)

now I just wonder what's in the other drawers of that storage cabinet... :confused:

inquiring minds want to know! :cool: :p
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Thanks for sharing, your collection is thing of beauty.
IN caver

Post by IN caver »

Congrats on completing you collection. Those are beautiful knives. Thanks for sharing!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Congrats on completing a set. I love these knives. My favorites are Giraffe bone and Terquise.
paladin wrote:+1 on resurrecting the Kopa... :D :spyder:
but IIRC, Sal recently posted that the maker was no longer available, or couldn't produce them anymore, or something like that... :o
The maker is Moki and still making knives. i believe that Sal commented that Spyderco proposed some new scale materials and Moki wasn't interested. So unfortunately no more Kopas by Moki.
paladin

Post by paladin »

yup, that was it...I thought I remembered something
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Varisforlovers.

Very nice. We began the Kopa series with collectors in mind. We didn't do that much back then. Probably a fourth of the folks opted to committ to all of the models made and ended up with complete collection. With only 600 pcs worldwide of each model, getting them individually was a real effort! "Persistence is king". Congratulations on reaching your goal.

We are now making another series with handle changes in the Chaparral series. We are not limiting the number of Chaparral's, but I'm sure some will be disco'd as we progress. The new maker is able to work with any material we want. (Though I'm sure he's cussin' us in his dreams).

sal
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

sal wrote:Hi Varisforlovers.

Very nice. We began the Kopa series with collectors in mind. We didn't do that much back then. Probably a fourth of the folks opted to committ to all of the models made and ended up with complete collection. With only 600 pcs worldwide of each model, getting them individually was a real effort! "Persistence is king". Congratulations on reaching your goal.

We are now making another series with handle changes in the Chaparral series. We are not limiting the number of Chaparral's, but I'm sure some will be disco'd as we progress. The new maker is able to work with any material we want. (Though I'm sure he's cussin' us in his dreams).

sal
Sir, Thanks for the kind words and reply. I look forward to more from the Chaparral series. I'm glad I got in on that series from the start. I'm just missing the Blue Stepped Ti one for now.
paladin wrote:
BEEEYOUUUUTIFUL collection & thanks for posting! :)

now I just wonder what's in the other drawers of that storage cabinet... :confused:

Thanks paladin,

I'm a little embarrassed by the other drawers. Too much accumulating :( . On the up side, I've carried them all at a some time or another.

To bh49, IN caver, & Tdog,... Thanks for the kind words!
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

paladin wrote: what's in the other drawers of that storage cabinet... :confused:

The Spyderco Drawers:

Generally the more towards the front they are, the more often I carry them.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

vaisforlovers wrote:Surprisingly to me, the last and most difficult for me to come across was the Squash Bone (C92SQP) from 2009. It was the second to last one produced by Spyderco, but it doesn't seem to pop up often.
Many of the Squash Bone Kopas were bought for aftermarket modifications with new individual scales. It's no wonder that you made the experience they are difficult to find in NIB condition ;)

Nevertheless my congrats to your complete collection and also for your staying power to hunt them!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
paladin

Post by paladin »

wow! you have great taste...

nice little case also!

and don't be such a stranger...seems like a long time since I remember your last thread/posting...maybe I've just been overlooking, tho :o
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Awesome collection, thanks for sharing!

Is it odd that my only Kopa is a Squash Bone?
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Sweet collection! Thx for sharing! i see a nice selection of great Spyderco knives, great choices, only one thing.... its illegal to own 2 green Jesters, you should send one to me :D
remnar

Post by remnar »

vaisforlovers, I think you have a problem!

Congratulations on your nice collection of Kopas. I would try to collect all of them but I think I'm a little late to the party and rarely see any for sale.

Oh, about your problem, it appears you're out of space and may require more drawers. :D
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

paladin wrote:wow! you have great taste...

nice little case also!

and don't be such a stranger...seems like a long time since I remember your last thread/posting...maybe I've just been overlooking, tho :o
That display case is one of my best knife related purchases in a long time. Before, I had all my knives in Spyderpacs, which are great for storage and protection, but they forced me to get about 3-5 knives out and leave them on my dresser for a couple of weeks until it was time to re-rotate them in and out of the packs. Now I can keep my dresser knife-free and rotate knives on a whim. Win -Win!

I have been gone a while. I've not really had much to say. I check everyday though. My favorite threads are the ones where people are excited about this hobby. I figured I'd try and share my excitement. Thanks to everyone for sharing with me.

I'll try to get back here a little more often. It is a great place to hang out.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

vaisforlovers wrote:
paladin wrote:wow! you have great taste...

nice little case also!

That display case is one of my best knife related purchases in a long time. Before, I had all my knives in Spyderpacs, which are great for storage and protection, but they forced me to get about 3-5 knives out and leave them on my dresser for a couple of weeks until it was time to re-rotate them in and out of the packs. Now I can keep my dresser knife-free and rotate knives on a whim. Win -Win!

I have been gone a while. I've not really had much to say. I check everyday though. My favorite threads are the ones where people are excited about this hobby. I figured I'd try and share my excitement. Thanks to everyone for sharing with me.

I'll try to get back here a little more often. It is a great place to hang out.
Super collection! I have the carbon fiber and the Quince wood models.

I also like that case, do you possibly have a link to the source or the name of the maker?

Thank you for sharing.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Awesome collection, thanks for sharing!

Is it odd that my only Kopa is a Squash Bone?
I'm betting at some point I was mad at you :D for beating me to the knife on BladeForums, USN, or eBay... I'm over it now. :)
IG-88 wrote:Sweet collection! Thx for sharing! i see a nice selection of great Spyderco knives, great choices, only one thing.... its illegal to own 2 green Jesters, you should send one to me :D
Got the SE first followed by a PE. The PE was super cheap because it was a TSA seizure.
remnar wrote:vaisforlovers, I think you have a problem!

Congratulations on your nice collection of Kopas. I would try to collect all of them but I think I'm a little late to the party and rarely see any for sale.

Oh, about your problem, it appears you're out of space and may require more drawers. :D
I may end up getting one more display. The good thing about the display though is it allows me to re-enjoy knives frequently enough that I don't feel the hunger to Buy-Buy-Buy anymore. It's been 2-3 months since my last purchase (USN ladybug), which I think is the longest drought in years.

Peter1960 wrote: Many of the Squash Bone Kopas were bought for aftermarket modifications with new individual scales. It's no wonder that you made the experience they are difficult to find in NIB condition ;)

Nevertheless my congrats to your complete collection and also for your staying power to hunt them!
Thank you Peter! Maybe one day I'll try and find a modded one or two!
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Pinetreebbs wrote: Super collection! I have the carbon fiber and the Quince wood models.

I also like that case, do you possibly have a link to the source or the name of the maker?

Thank you for sharing.
Thanks Pinetreebbs! I also really like the Carbon Fiber one!

I found the case at Amazon: http://amzn.com/B00H2WMUIY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a couple of gift cards. It is 100% functional, but its fit and finish is only Ok. Still overall I'm very pleased with it for the reasons mentioned above. I have 116 knives in it, which works out to be <$1.40 a knife, about the same a Spyderpac and cheaper than Pelican Case is per knife. Granted it will hold a lot more Kopas and Ladybugs than it will Manix's and PM2s, but I prefer the smaller knives.

(BTW, what is the plural of Manix? I know Manix's isn't it, but nothing else looked right either?)
paladin

Post by paladin »

vaisforlovers wrote:
I am definitely getting more displays. The good thing about the display though is it allows me to re-enjoy knives frequently enough that I don't feel the hunger to Buy-Buy-Buy anymore. It's been 2-3 months since my last purchase (USN ladybug), which I think is the longest drought in years. And I'm getting hungry again! :eek:
fixed that for ya! :p

You do make a good point about having them close at hand for instant gratification...

but at this point it may be cheaper for me pay a moving crew to position my gun safe next to the Davenport rather than buying a couple dozen of those table top cases like you have. ;)
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

vaisforlovers wrote:
Pinetreebbs wrote: Super collection! I have the carbon fiber and the Quince wood models.

Thank you for sharing.
Thanks Pinetreebbs! I also really like the Carbon Fiber one!

I found the case at Amazon: http://amzn.com/B00H2WMUIY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a couple of gift cards. It is 100% functional, but its fit and finish is only Ok. Still overall I'm very pleased with it for the reasons mentioned above. I have 116 knives in it, which works out to be <$1.40 a knife, about the same a Spyderpac and cheaper than Pelican Case is per knife. Granted it will hold a lot more Kopas and Ladybugs than it will Manix's and PM2s, but I prefer the smaller knives.

(BTW, what is the plural of Manix? I know Manix's isn't it, but nothing else looked right either?)
Thanks! Most of mine are in a cabinet, but I would like to display at least some of them at a time.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.