I really like FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: I really like FRN

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree and am also an frn fan.

The Delica is a great example for sure. Light, strong and grippy. Good stuff. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

tvenuto wrote:I think spyderco really nails the FRN with their bi-directional texturing. Also, I think they do a good job of matching the material to the design. I really love a lot of their G10 designs as well, but I think certain ones like the Delica just work better in FRN, and I've actually been underwhelmed by the G10 variants.
While not underwhelmed by the G10 versions, I can understand how you feel otherwise. I have been pining away for the upcoming blue G10, and will probably get one. However, the more I carry and use the FRN Delicas the better and better they are to me. I am no longer so caught up in wanting all things G10. It is really hard to be the FRN for all of its benefits.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I think I'm one of the few that thinks adding liners to the Enduras and the Delicas was a step backward. One of my favorite things about those knives was their simplicity, and adding steel liners and screws to hold it all together negated that aspect of their design. I wish they had followed the same design as the Salt knives, and just added an adjustable pivot instead.

Of course, that means my Native has become my new favorite Spyderco. The thicker FRN handles are sturdy, yet light, and I feel like it can easily handle the majority of my tasks.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

StuntZombie wrote:I think I'm one of the few that thinks adding liners to the Enduras and the Delicas was a step backward. One of my favorite things about those knives was their simplicity, and adding steel liners and screws to hold it all together negated that aspect of their design. I wish they had followed the same design as the Salt knives, and just added an adjustable pivot instead.
No, there are certainly others that share your view, although there are just as many that like screwed construction better than pinned. For me? I've never found the need to take any of my FRN knives apart, so there's that. I certainly don't find them heavy, nor do I find them too expensive, so I don't mind that the liners are there either.
Doc Dan wrote:While not underwhelmed by the G10 versions, I can understand how you feel otherwise. I have been pining away for the upcoming blue G10, and will probably get one. However, the more I carry and use the FRN Delicas the better and better they are to me. I am no longer so caught up in wanting all things G10. It is really hard to be the FRN for all of its benefits.
I have to admit it surprised me. My first two Spydies were an FRN Delica and a Manix XL, and I almost immediately started seeking out a G10 delica, which was no longer commonly available. I assumed that the G10 Delica would combine the features of those two knives that I loved into the ultimate Spydie. Instead, I found that it lost "something" against the FRN version. What's funny, is that I'll probably still pick up the new G10 version, I'm interested to try supergold (and I'm considering a blade swap into the burnt orange FRN handle...).
sal

Post by sal »

Liners offered more advantages than disadvantages;

1) a stonger base for screw clips
2) a more rigid support for pivots
3) the ability to offer a 4 way clip
4) the ability for customer service to inspect & repair as nesccesary

sal
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

I remember when I first joined this forum, I came on preaching about my favourite materials being carbon fibre, G10, titanium, and having no love for the 'plastic'. As I started to actually use them I quickly warmed up to the FRN and now things have come full circle and all my go to work/users are FRN handled, mostly a variant of delica 4, sometimes my serrated Tasman salt and a couple of ladybugs.

It's a hard combo of qualities to equal in a handle material, light weight, strength, feel in hand, grip and probably the widest range of colours on offer. I think the liners are good amount of strength without adding too much weight, you still wouldn't call the delica a heavy knife, my Tasman is like a feather but other than the rust issue I would not mind if it had liners either.
joe58

Post by joe58 »

I have an older FRN Native 4 I think it is. Which the spear point blade? Never used it much as I just didn't care for the blade shape.

The Native is one model I like so I thought I'd check out the new lightweight model and was pleasantly surprised that the FRN pattern they use provides a good grip without being too rough. Nice and light and seems as though it'd handle daily tasks quite well. Just today actually I decided to carry it for a few days straight to see how it goes.

At their price point, tough to beat the value. Particularly with the Minigrip pricing structure now for a pretty much compatible knife as far as materials used in construction.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

sal wrote:Liners offered more advantages than disadvantages;

sal
Bah! I reject your logic, and substitute my own. :D

I know it's technically an upgrade, I just really love those one piece FRN handles.

On another note, is servicability the reason the Salt knives use screws on the blade and lockbar pivots?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Keep in mind that there are many different polymers with a range of properties in terms of manufacturing processes and the end product. "Plastic" is often used a a pejorative and, in many cases,that's well founded but some plastics are quite remarkable performers. Sort of like considering "steel" for a particular application-some grades will fail miserably but others will perform wonderfully.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:Liners offered more advantages than disadvantages;

sal
The Man has spoken. It seems I am not so crazy after all.

Many years ago when I worked medical rescue in far off places I had a knife with some sort of fiber reinforced copolymer whatever handles. The knife was very strong (a good brand) and the lock was a bear. But at a rescue I happened on when I had no equipment, all I had was that knife and when I needed to pry a bit to break a piece of metal to extract someone, all that knife did was bend and flex. I was unable to pop a light piece of metal. A cop had a knife with metal liners and he quickly popped the metal and we extracted the person. Lesson learned, for me. Now, I normally do not use my knives in that manner but torking does happen, say, when cutting shavings for a fire when camping. So, a strong knife that will take it is better, in my book, than one that will not take it. I'm just sayin'.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

Like the OP, I like FRN a lot. I ordered up a FRCP Manix 2 and I carry it often in a rotation with my Blue FRN Endura 4 and PM2. I'd really like a PM2 in FRN, I just find the Bi-Directional texture more grippy. A PM2 in FRN could kick all the rest out of the rotation, I don't know why but it just feels better in my hand. Making them in all the colors that the Endura 4 comes in would be awesome and give me another version to collect in whole. I'm about halfway with both the PM2 and Manix 2 for the regular factory offerings. I hope this is something Sal has planned, he mentioned doing this very thing with the Lil' Temperance 2 so the PM2 isn't that far fetched.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the G10 PM2 quite a lot. But, an FRN version would be cheaper and probably lighter in weight. I also like the bidirectional texturing. It is simply great. And, it is more "grippy" than the so-called Griptilian. :D (not knocking the BM, it is a fantastic knife, just the name) I would be up for a PM2 in FRN for sure. My favorite thing is to carry my Delica, sans clip, dropped down in my pocket. Other knives of the same size will sag my dress pants a bit. But the Delica does not. I have to remind myself it is in there on occasion.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am not opposed to the idea of a frn para2 but am not sure about it being cheaper or lighter. This has come up before. You cannot go linerless like the Manix LW with a comp lock and if they wanted to keep the clip four way you would possibly need both liners. It would be removing a liner that might reduce weight. The Manix LW and Native5 LW have the advantage of easily being liner less which can reduce both weight and cost. Now if the Para2 LW ( I like the sound of that :) ) had a partial liner like the Military only on the lock side and only had a tip up wire clip like the Manix LW or the barrel bolt inserts like the Native5 LW it would be lighter and possibly more affordable. Hmmm... I think I just convinced myself. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Would the Para 2 LW actually be FRN? Or would it need to be FRCP, like the Manix 2s?
:bug-red-white
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I think OP is right on about the utility of FRN (or FRCP). I have a few FRN Spydies. Even so - I still like the feel of G10 and carbon laminate in my hand. FRN still feels like lego plastic to me. I will continue to own and buy FRN knives, esp. for work around the house. But FRN is not for an upscale knife, in my opinion.
DJ

Post by DJ »

I hate FRN too .............Who makes good after market handles for the Manix 2 ?
I usually wont buy a knife with FRN handles (just because) ......... but S110V is S110V so I had to have it.
I,d like to put G-10 on it or anything other than plastic.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

FRN is really underrated as a handle material, I think. It's light, cheap and functional, and can be made in any color.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Iam not saying its not good stuff ........Iam just saying I dislike it totally.
It just feels cheap to me , yest its light , functional and probably very strong ...........
While others like it , I have different taste ......Ive bought a Manix 2 in S110V with FRN , only because of the blade steel .........
Iam currently lookin for someone to make me another set of handles for it .........any ideas ?? recommendations ?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

DJ, I'm not saying this is even possible, but, if they were to make a combination G10-FRN handle for a Spyderco knife, would you consider it? Or do you prefer pure G10?
DJ

Post by DJ »

FRN inlay ........LOL .......I might consider it but probably not ..... To me (opinion) FRN is just cheap , like Benchmades Griptilian handles.
Iam all for higher end handles (G-10 etc.) I know these keep the cost down so all can have the best of both worlds , good steel.
Iam not meaning to crap on the handle material , its just my choice ...... nothin more. Others like and prefer FRN Iam sure , its just not my choice of handle material.