The Spyderedge & Serration Patterns In General

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The Spyderedge & Serration Patterns In General

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a topic I bring up from time to time but I do feel now is a good time to discuss this again with certain threads that have surfaced. First of all you have what we here at Spyderville know as the SPYDEREDGE>> which is Spyderco's much used serration patterns that they use on many of their various models. But not all Spyderedges are the same by any means. It depends on the place of manufacture and the two main production plants for Spyderedged blades are the Golden, Colorado USA Earth plant that I like the best for the most part and the JAPAN made Spyders which most of the time tend to have more of a pointed/spikey type serration pattern with the exception of many of their culinary/kitchen serrated knives which tend to have more of a wavy or rounded type serration.

The very best patten I've owned and used is found on an older Spyderco Catcherman model that I've owned and used for years. It is one of the older AUS-8 fully serrated models which has a rather low profile set of serrations that have a pattern similar to the other popular models but the pointed parts of the serrations are more rounded and wavy thus they don't snag or drag but cut rather more efficiently. That particular serration pattern I've found extremely useful for most of the food cutting jobs I encounter. I also love the serration patterns you find on Spyderco's classic K-04 & K-05 culinary models which are somewhat different than about any other serration pattern they have ever produced.

Most of the time I find that those Spikey serrations with a needle-like points do tend to snag on clothes or any type of fibrous material. Which is why I tend to like serrated Hawkbill models because of the pull cutting techniques you use with Hawkbills you can use just about any serration pattern with those you want with decent results.

I do wish that Spyderco would do some more research on different serration patterns and please take a serious look at some of the patterns they have used in the past. Because serrations are so misunderstood for the most part I feel that by offering more serration pattern selections you can find more practical uses for them.

So what serration/Spyderedge patterns do you all like and use the most that are currently offered ( past & present)? What improvements would you all like to see Spyderco do with their serration patterns? If there is a serration pattern that you've ever encountered that differs from anything that Spyderco has ever offered then please tell us about it and explain how it differs from what we have presently?
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: The Spyderedge & Serration Patterns In General

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I personally prefer the Spyderco serrations on the Endura Foliage Green folder, and the combo-edge type. These are the best serrations I have personally seen and used and experienced.

A question for you JD Spydo, about these serrations: Would these be useful if one had to cut open the shells of crabs for making a roast crab supper, or would you prefer something else?
SpyderEdgeForever

Oh let me add this: I like the serration patterns on the Pacific Salt, and the Tasman Salt, as well.

What would be cool, though it would not likely be done, because of the expense and complication, is if Spyderco were to offer a version of each of their serrated knives, each with different serrations. Example: A Tasman Salt with the current serrations, a Tasman Salt with some of the older serration patterns, like that. But it would probably be over-complicating things and would cost too much with current manufacturing technology.
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

I have the early Delica 2 and Endura 2 in AUS 6 full SE, they are NASTY looking and sharp as shattered glass. I love these for self defense carry and pure intimidation factor, they are so slim but are built like tank. The F&F are outstanding and every time I hear that "thwack" when I open the blade is priceless.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Serrations are a fairly large part of Spyderco, however I would be curious how many they sell percentage wise and similar with warranty issues. It is one of those polarizing issues. People tend to be neutral about things like back locks vs liner locks, but people often hate/love serrations.

Start making serration videos, almost no one does them.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD.

I would venture to say that we've done more research and testing on serrations than any other in the business. We studied serrations to make the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. We studied serrations for years while making our first knives. We had many arguments with our makers in Japan and even with our factory in Golden. We studied shape, geometry, finish, strength and wear.

Serrations are made with a formed wheel, which wears and is dressed every 50 or so knives. No two serrations are exactly the same.

We've never liked pointy teeth and have had to teach our makers how to make them. Some learn slowly, but they learn or we won't do business with them.

The center tooth on the K04 & K05 is slightly longer which lifts the other two teeth off of the cutting board. It's the board that dulls knives, not the food. The teeth protect the cutting edge. The center tooth protects the other teeth.

sal
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Sal, I know that is possibly a bit of a trade/secret maybe, but that would be a cool video to see (cutting the serrations, dressing the wheel).
tap78

Post by tap78 »

I like "spyderedge" serrations but as Sal said, they are different in many knives I own. I think that final shape depends on general blade grind (ffg/hg/sg) and grinding wheel condition. Some of the i like more but for me the biggest surprise is spyderedge on ffg blade in Stretch...
it cuts like crazy :)

and... thread is worthless without pics :)

I dream to get Spyderedge Military in s30v :)
SpyderEdgeForever

SpydercoEndura4FoliageGreen1.jpg
One of my favorite pics of the Foliage Green Endura 4 with Combo-Edge VG-10 blade.

I like the lightning and angle and how it seems so large in the hand.
Man oh man, Sal, what a super knife. Thank you! =)
sal

Post by sal »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Sal, I know that is possibly a bit of a trade/secret maybe, but that would be a cool video to see (cutting the serrations, dressing the wheel).
Sorry Cliff. That's one of those trade secrets.

sal
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Agreed I have a black E4 CE and I really like those serrations. They are definitely different than most others I've seen. Not a huge fan of CE in general, but those serrations make the difference between liking that knife I have and not. I probably wouldn't use it like I do if it had the same serrations as the others.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I personally prefer the Spyderco serrations on the Endura Foliage Green folder, and the combo-edge type. These are the best serrations I have personally seen and used and experienced.

A question for you JD Spydo, about these serrations: Would these be useful if one had to cut open the shells of crabs for making a roast crab supper, or would you prefer something else?
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder: