Slimmest Spyderco in Pocket?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
remnar

Re: Slimmest Spyderco in Pocket?

Post by remnar »

Great suggestions so far, but I didn't see the Caly 3 mentioned. It is wider than the trio pictured above but it's thin and comfortable. I barely notice it when I put my hand in my pocket. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Here is what I like for thin Spydies (in no particular order):
1. Memory
2. Centofante II
3. Persian 79 mm
4. Air
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Remnar, I too wondered why the Caly 3 wasn't mentioned. Though I prefer the cf 3.5 the cf Caly 3 carries very well and is also relatively thin. Also feels substantial in the hand.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I find my Native 5 great in pocket and have no issues carrying anything else in there, keys, phone etc.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would bet something in stainless is thinnest since it doesn't require liners of any kind and most of those models have thinner blade stock.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Some really great Spydies mentioned in this thread! It's a tough choice among them all... I do seem to like a liner lock-equipped one for easier OHO with less steps required (Air, Memory, Des Horn). The back locks need to go to a half stop-like position and then be closed fully with a second different movement, while the liner locks can be swung shut in one motion.

Got your email Matt, shot you one back. All is well in extinct bird land ;)!
That's one point of view, another would be that a midlock can be easily closed in a single motion by pressing the spine of the blade against something without ever placing a finger in the blade path, while closing any liner or Reeve integral lock necessitates placing one there.
Evil D wrote:I would bet something in stainless is thinnest since it doesn't require liners of any kind and most of those models have thinner blade stock.
True, as far as it goes. Spyderco has definitely produced some very thin all stainless models. However, to the best of my memory, there have only been two all stainless locking Spyderco folders that I would describe as being both thin and narrow, the AG Russell Exclusive all stainless "Baby Horn", and the Kiwi 2. Both of those are long discontinued, not easy to find, and neither of them had a 3" blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
joe58

Post by joe58 »

spyderg wrote:I find my Native 5 great in pocket and have no issues carrying anything else in there, keys, phone etc.
I like the Native 5 too, but would like to see the handle not quite so wide. It's plenty thin enough but a little less width and narrower blade woukd be ok with me. But as it is, it's pretty dang nice and easy to get a good grip on and use.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Double Bevel. :D

Was gonna say Kiwi 4 also, but many people, mostly those not familiar with Spyderco, can be turned off by that knife as well.

Also, the term "slimmest" throws me off. Slim, thin, tall, wide, thick, narrow... they all seem like they can be used for different dimensions of the knife.
When I first read the title of the thread, I was thinking Dialex Junior as an answer, but I don't think that is what you're looking for since the blade is slightly taller, although it is slim!
Going back to Caly.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

SpeedHoles wrote:Double Bevel. :D

Was gonna say Kiwi 4 also, but many people, mostly those not familiar with Spyderco, can be turned off by that knife as well.

Also, the term "slimmest" throws me off. Slim, thin, tall, wide, thick, narrow... they all seem like they can be used for different dimensions of the knife.
When I first read the title of the thread, I was thinking Dialex Junior as an answer, but I don't think that is what you're looking for since the blade is slightly taller, although it is slim!
It's just hard to put it in words I guess! What would be the correct way to say it? Slimmest could be taken a few different ways, but I figured the context would better explain what I was talking about. :)

Matt
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Myself the two older Spyderco models that I thought were very slim and fit well in pockets were the Caly Jr and the ZDP-189 Burgundy Jess Horn models. And you don't hear much anymore about the ZDP Horn model and it was an ideal EDC blade.

Especially the Caly Jr with the stainless handle>> it's always been one of my sentimental favorites out of the Caly jr. line up. One more Spyder that I thought was slimmer than usual but I never got the priviledge of owning one was the C-27 Jess Horn model.

I've heard that the Des Horn is very streamlined but I've yet to own one of them either. But for a knife that doesn't take up much space the Caly Jr is my overall pick.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

MattM68 wrote:

It's just hard to put it in words I guess! What would be the correct way to say it? Slimmest could be taken a few different ways, but I figured the context would better explain what I was talking about. :)

Matt

Yeah I think I'm pickin up what you're layin down.

What knives does your friend currently enjoy?

One reason I said Double Bevel is it compares in folded size to many other common knives. Smaller folded dimensions than Delica in profile (but more blade length). Similar in proportion to the Southard when folded, but scaled down smaller. Almost nearly identical size to popular Kershaw Skyline (which I really like). The Double Bevel is just slightly thicker width-wise in the handle, but also has twin liners instead of single like the Skyline, and feels more solid.

I can take some pics later.
Going back to Caly.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

SpeedHoles wrote:
MattM68 wrote:

Matt

Yeah I think I'm pickin up what you're layin down.

What knives does your friend currently enjoy?

One reason I said Double Bevel is it compares in folded size to many other common knives. Smaller folded dimensions than Delica in profile (but more blade length). Similar in proportion to the Southard when folded, but scaled down smaller. Almost nearly identical size to popular Kershaw Skyline (which I really like). The Double Bevel is just slightly thicker width-wise in the handle, but also has twin liners instead of single like the Skyline, and feels more solid.

I can take some pics later.
Currently he carries a BM Emisarry, and occasionally a CRKT M16. So anything around that width in the closed position would probably be great. I showed him the Des Horn, and he seemed pretty interested. He is also now considering the Southard. Any other suggestions are always welcome. :)

Matt
hom76

Post by hom76 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Doesn't have to be clipless though... ;)

Air with a clip! That's really nice! What screw did you use to fix the clip on it? Thanks!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Its a bit bigger than 3", but the Goddard feels like one of the thinnest Spydies when it is in your pocket.

TedP
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

If you haven'y found one yet, I'm now going to suggest Caly3.5. I've been carrying my zdp version for a few weeks now and while it's certainly wider it sits in my jeans pocket even better than my Crkt m16 that i saw you mentioned your friend had.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Are we talking slim as in when closed: the length from the pivot end of the handle to the other end of the handle (Dragonfly would be good at this), or from the spine of the blade to the back of the handle?

Dragonfly can also be carried in a watch pocket.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Roadie. :p
Going back to Caly.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Oooh- What about the Cricket in stainless?....That's slim as a bulimic super-model during Paris Fashion Week!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Gonna throw in a vote for Khukri!
This thing is a very thin package considering the blade. Folds up slimmer than a Delica, but unfolds much bigger. Almost has that illusion effect of a Caly 3.5 in hiding all that blade very well when folded.
Going back to Caly.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

demoncase wrote:Caly 3.5 is super slim and classy with it.
Yes!!